• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm considering one, but do not know what to look for. What should I look for an or a avoid? Not looking for a collectors grade, just a rifle that functions and shoots straight.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    If you just want an M-1 carbine for plinking, you might want to consider one of the post-war non military models like a Universal. Now granted, none of the parts on it are USGI, but considering it cost me $250 from a family friend, I can't complain. If you go this route, you won't have to worry about putting wear and tear on a US military piece. I've seen these listed for sale from $200-$400.

If you wanted one of the military models, I'd have directed you to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, prior to President Obama taking office. These can still be found, but since CMP has sold out of the more common pieces that were often mixmasters as the result of numerous post-war overhauls by the U.S., Greeks, and whomever else, they're going to set you back anywhere from $700 and up. Check out the CMP's website for their grading criteria before you look around auction sites online, as many of the carbines advertised will be described by the CMP grade they were originally given when shot. Some of the original military manufacturers include Inland Division of GM, Underwood-Elliot, National Postal Meter, International Business Machines, Winchester, and Rockola. One thing I would advise you to avoid, unless you're wanting to invest some serious time into reading up on this specific model, is an M1a1. I've seen guys at flea markets trying to pass off Universal Carbines in post war reproduction (and surprisingly authentic looking) paratrooper sights. A legitimate M1a1 carbine is worth some serious coin, but just like Mauser K98s, there are a lot of altered pieces floating around out there.

Can deals still be found on a carbine, most definitely, but the bargains aren't what they used to be. I wish I'd have known CMP would sell out a month after getting my service grade Inland, as I'd have ordered some more as investment pieces. But then again, I can't complain, at least I managed to get lucky and scrape the money up to purchase one before they sold out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you want a real GI one, I would try to do it sooner rather than later. Ever since CMP ran out the prices have been heading north. I managed to get one of the last ones.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Honestly as prices go higher and the original guns get older, a new built Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine might be appealing.

Personally, I think they are currently priced too high, since you can buy an original GI for about the same price (or less). But as those prices climb, it might make sense (or someone can come to market with a $500 carbine and eat AO's lunch).

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I would check out the Auto Ordinance ones too. Every GI one I have seen but a few has been beat all to hell and you will still pay almost a grand for it. The AO may be clones, but they are the same specs. (At least Im pretty sure.) If you want a shooter, try one of those if you cant find a deal on a decent USGI.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I started out with a post war civilian Universal brand M1 Carbine. I shot it, learned about the history of these carbines, and used it to honor my fathers service in WWll every time I shot it. I kept my eyes and ears open and with the help of another INGOer, ultimately found a USGI Inland I could afford.
    I consider myself lucky, but the thoughts and feelings and shooting accuracy were actually just the same with that Universal as with my Inland. It was the history of these carbines that kept me casually searching for a wartime piece.
    I passed that Universal on to a family member to enjoy. (and so we can go shooting Carbines together ;))
    Good luck with your search. I know you'll find one...they are out there. :yesway:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I purchased an AO M1 carbine a few of months ago and can highly recommend it. If you have particular questions, let me know.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    At one point Dunhams was selling Carbines. Now, you'll have to pick over them and odds are they are going to be in rough condition. But I was able to pick through and found one with the metal in very good condition, but with a pretty banged up stock.

Since they are import marked they don't command the same prices as an unmarked Carbine and don't have the same collector's value. My plan with this particular Carbine is to get the metal re-parkerized and to get a new stock for it. It will become my shooter. I might put it into a M1A1 stock.

Now, I'm sure that after getting it restored that the price will be pretty close to what it would cost to get one of the new AO M1s or maybe even a good deal on a unmarked Carbine at the 1500. That's fine with me as I really enjoy working on them, so...YMMV

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    ALL USGI M1 Carbines were made during WW II. But they made millions of them. They are very available and parts are plentiful. Try to get one, they are a blast to shoot and are going up in value every year. Worth the time to look for a good one.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    USGI, good value, piece of history and shoot well. Since CMP quit selling them, other than their expensive auction, prices seem to have gone up.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I just want to bump this thread in case anyone has any new insight. I've wanted a carbine for a while. In fact, I had one once, but it was really beat up, so I sold it.

If anyone knows where to find a USGI carbine for a reasonable price, I'd be glad to take a look at it.

RTM15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    I just want to bump this thread in case anyone has any new insight. I've wanted a carbine for a while. In fact, I had one once, but it was really beat up, so I sold it.

If anyone knows where to find a USGI carbine for a reasonable price, I'd be glad to take a look at it.

Check the CMP forum under "Parts for Sale or Trade" They have a Carbine thread. I bought my Rockola there. Its the nicest one I have seen.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Check the CMP forum under "Parts for Sale or Trade" They have a Carbine thread. I bought my Rockola there. Its the nicest one I have seen.

Nice isn't in my price range. Something that is a great shooter though, is.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There out there, seen a few in the classifieds here a time or 2. The cheapest I've seen any GI models was around 650 here lately. Of course you could get a universal for probably around 400. The 1500 usually has a few vendors doin estate sales that will have some.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Thanks! this is one of those things I've casually looked for over the years, but not in any huge hurry.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There out there, seen a few in the classifieds here a time or 2. The cheapest I've seen any GI models was around 650 here lately. Of course you could get a universal for probably around 400. The 1500 usually has a few vendors doin estate sales that will have some.

Please educate me on the difference between "GI models" and "universals". I've seen terms like these mentioned, but don't understand the details that differentiate them.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Please educate me on the difference between "GI models" and "universals". I've seen terms like these mentioned, but don't understand the details that differentiate them.

Below is a link to what I feel is the most informative M1 Carbine site on the web. Tons of time and research have gone into this site and it will answer questions about the M1 that you may not have thought to ask. It provides a in-depth look at the commercial as well as military manufactures and their history.

Enjoy!

M1CarbinesInc.com

Top Bottom