• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Am I wrong in thinking it was payment for the rest of the year and he had 3 years left on contract? The last 2 years must have been iffy with whatever injury he had. Why pay 3 years when you can pay 1 and done?

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Here's my take on the timing. This decision didn't happen in the last 4 weeks. I lay things squarely at the feet of Irsay. I think Luck brought this up to the boss early on in training camp or before, and Irsay blew smoke up his ass to let it ride. I don't think there was ever a scenario where Luck played any game in at least the 1st half off the season. Irsay ran his mouth, something he's known to do, and Schefter got wind of it. I have a feeling that the Colts (in the royal sense, meaning Irsay) were going to give us the runaround like they did on the shoulder issue.

Now the injuries, Grigson gets some love for those. If you've got a chance to draft a once in a generation QB, you do. That's a no brainer. But not putting a bunch of bucks into an O-Line who could protect him, that's just inexcusable. And it wasn't without precedent, either. Payton could barely move in his last couple seasons here, for the same reason. If they were smart, they'd have seen the pattern and put some thought into protecting their new investment. But they didn't, and here we are.

I have zero blame on Luck for any of this. He's a smart guy with a new family, I don't blame him for running like hell to get away from the trainwreck that is Colts management.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here's my take on the timing. This decision didn't happen in the last 4 weeks. I lay things squarely at the feet of Irsay. I think Luck brought this up to the boss early on in training camp or before, and Irsay blew smoke up his ass to let it ride. I don't think there was ever a scenario where Luck played any game in at least the 1st half off the season. Irsay ran his mouth, something he's known to do, and Schefter got wind of it. I have a feeling that the Colts (in the royal sense, meaning Irsay) were going to give us the runaround like they did on the shoulder issue.

Now the injuries, Grigson gets some love for those. If you've got a chance to draft a once in a generation QB, you do. That's a no brainer. But not putting a bunch of bucks into an O-Line who could protect him, that's just inexcusable. And it wasn't without precedent, either. Payton could barely move in his last couple seasons here, for the same reason. If they were smart, they'd have seen the pattern and put some thought into protecting their new investment. But they didn't, and here we are.

I have zero blame on Luck for any of this. He's a smart guy with a new family, I don't blame him for running like hell to get away from the trainwreck that is Colts management.

And now we can close this thread........."WINNER"

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    68937061_10157394455883389_1601768616653488128_n.jpg

:laugh:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have zero blame on Luck for any of this. He's a smart guy with a new family, I don't blame him for running like hell to get away from the trainwreck that WAS Colts management.

FIFY

Here’s what Ballard has accomplished in three years:

Turned a consistent bottom feeder defense into a top ten unit.
    Draft the first two all pro rookies since Butkus and Sayers (let that sink in).
    Drafted the Defensice Rookie of the Year that nobody knew about.
    Took a bust first round pick from Detroit and turned him into a touchdown machine Pro Bowler.
    Turned a laughing stock o-line into the best o-line in football.
    Traded a mediocre-at-best wide receiver for a solid backup that now looks to be a serviceable starter.

None of that happens on accident.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are a lot worse O lines out there and more sacks and hits have been allowed against several other QBs.

'Course, it only takes a couple of hits taken the wrong way to ruin your season. Blame the management or the O line if you wish, but let's not act like he has taken a worse beating than any QB in the history of game...or who is currently playing...or is in the top 5 of those.

I'm certainly not blaming Luck....I see no need to "blame" anyone as if having several injury riddled seasons was a conscious choice anyone made. The average length of an NFL quarterback's career is 3 years. Some pretty good quarterbacks didn't make it to 7 years.

Some quarterbacks were hit more often, weren't 6'4" 240lbs and played longer. It's an individual thing.

This is getting a lot of coverage because of the timing (not before draft and after the good free agents are gone), not that it will really matter, the way it leaked out and the fact that he did well last year...and that Indy folk seem rabidly loyal...for exceedingly short periods of time.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    There are a lot worse O lines out there and more sacks and hits have been allowed against several other QBs.

'Course, it only takes a couple of hits taken the wrong way to ruin your season. Blame the management or the O line if you wish, but let's not act like he has taken a worse beating than any QB in the history of game...or who is currently playing...or is in the top 5 of those.

I'm certainly not blaming Luck....I see no need to "blame" anyone as if having several injury riddled seasons was a conscious choice anyone made. The average length of an NFL quarterback's career is 3 years.
    Some pretty good quarterbacks didn't make it to 7 years.

Some quarterbacks were hit more often, weren't 6'4" 240lbs and played longer. It's an individual thing.

This is getting a lot of coverage because of the timing (not before draft and after the good free agents are gone), not that it will really matter, the way it leaked out and the fact that he did well last year...and that Indy folk seem rabidly loyal...for exceedingly short periods of time.

I'd rather have 7 years of no Luck then 7 years of Bad Luck.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Met Andrew at Metazoa Brewery last year or so ago.

Nice guy. Flip phone and all. Rode his bike there. Got a pic.

That's my Andrew Luck story.

Anyway.

Hope he's happy, does what he wants, enjoys life. It's so weird that I'm older than him... That's an odd feeling.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Met Andrew at Metazoa Brewery last year or so ago.

Nice guy. Flip phone and all. Rode his bike there. Got a pic.

That's my Andrew Luck story.

Anyway.

Hope he's happy, does what he wants, enjoys life. It's so weird that I'm older than him... That's an odd feeling.

I got mistaken for him twice.
    A furniture store, got asked for his autograph.
    A college Bar with my soon to be wife.. awkward.
    Needless to say, the beard got upkept better afterwards.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Wrong.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Luck retires. No different than an injury taking him out for the season.
    Next man up time.
    Ballard and Reich know how to put a quality product on the field. Make no mistake about it, the NFL is selling a product. Buy it or don't.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    NFL is selling a product. Buy it or don't.

Agreed. What some don't seem to get is that the only way fans can "talk" to the NFL is by spending money or not spending money. Complain all you want to, but if you spend your money, NFL says "Thank you, come again."

I think that one thing that was learned or reinforced by Andrew Luck when he heard the fans booing and some media people using his decision as a platform to get their own slice of attention, is that he really needs to look out for himself. Because collectively, the fans and the media don't care at all about his personal well-being. He's decided to stop giving them something, and they're mad (I'm mad myself). They're mad about that, and it doesn't really matter about the timing, or the injury, or who knew about what and when; He's leaving and they're mad, period. Andrew knows that if this injury, or any injury leaves him unable to play, he'll be forced to quit whether he want's to or not, leaving him to be the one with bad feelings. Andrew Luck's decision ensures that he won't be the one who's left with bad feelings. Good for him.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Agreed. What some don't seem to get is that the only way fans can "talk" to the NFL is by spending money or not spending money. Complain all you want to, but if you spend your money, NFL says "Thank you, come again."

I think that one thing that was learned or reinforced by Andrew Luck when he heard the fans booing and some media people using his decision as a platform to get their own slice of attention, is that he really needs to look out for himself. Because collectively, the fans and the media don't care at all about his personal well-being. He's decided to stop giving them something, and they're mad (I'm mad myself). They're mad about that, and it doesn't really matter about the timing, or the injury, or who knew about what and when; He's leaving and they're mad, period. Andrew knows that if this injury, or any injury leaves him unable to play, he'll be forced to quit whether he want's to or not, leaving him to be the one with bad feelings. Andrew Luck's decision ensures that he won't be the one who's left with bad feelings. Good for him.

I don't believe that for a second. right or wrong decision, he's going to have regrets.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I don't blame him. The owners and staff should have done their job. Luck did his job by taking care of himself the best way.

Luck's last two injuries were sustained off the football field. He hurt the shoulder snowboarding and he hurt the ankle skateboarding this off season. Was told he'd need surgery to fix it or to just play and suck it up.

He quit instead.

Top Bottom