LTCH test/class?...what do you guys think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing a requirement to take a test to show an individual's knowledge of firearm safety and laws in order to get a LTCH. Also, I think having a person show a basic level of proficiency with a firearm wouldn't be a bad idea for them to get a LTCH.
    What do you guys think of requirements like these that many states already do, especially if it would increase the number of states that honor our permits?

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Expanding on ATM's comment, I think it would be a good idea but a terrible practice. Once such a system is in place what is to stop the legislature from making oh-so-reasonable sounding arguments such as:

"Now that we have the test we need to raise the price of an LTCH to pay for it"
    "Because X tragedy occurred, we need to add Y number of hours of study to the class to educate against it happening again"
    "We don't feel that proficiency can be shown in 500 rounds, so the licensee must now provide 2000 rounds for the proficiency class."

How many little "adjustments" does it take before people are barred from defending themselves in public because it costs too much, or because the time commitment is too much?

I've said before that the only way the State has any business regulating training as a prerequisite for a LTCH would be to offer a discount to persons who have successfully completed a basic handgun course such as the NRA basic or similar. I know they won't do it, but taking 20 or 30 bucks off the price of a lifetime or something would go a long way to encouraging folks to get training without actually mandating it.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Bad idea. Some states, like FL, with any such "requirement" is a joke. Who determines what the test costs? Consists of? Level of proficiency required to exercise your right?

BAD IDEA!

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Shall issue absolutely - but being required to sit through a class on basic law, firearms operations and basic profiency wouldn't be a bad idea. Yes it may be joke and a pain in the butt for those that already know it but in the end fewer people with licenses be out there that have little to know firearms proficency. You need to pass a test for driving license, a handgun isn't any less dangerous. And add a picture to the license so that more states honor it. My :twocents: I know not everyone here agrees with this.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Good points from everyone so far. The main reason I would argue for a proficiency test would only be to make sure someone is capable of handling a firearm. However, I know the whole slippery slope argument is a completely valid one, and knowing the way D-bag politicians are it would probably happen.
    I would however like to see more states honor our permits. Do you guys feel there is anything that can be done, other than other state law makers not being idiotic, that would increase the number of states we have reciprocity with?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Not sure I would be against that. I bet a large number of poeple that voted for Obama couldn't name the person he was running against or any of Obamas beliefs or policies.

I would be. It isn't a requirement that you know anything to vote, and as much as I think people suck and are stupid, that's no reason to trample THEIR rights.

:twocents:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    How bout a literacy and speech test before you can exercise the first amendment?

just you they know you can handle it...

Beat me to it...

+1

Although I have always said that any activity licensed is a de facto privilege, and not a right, the testing requirements only serves to highlight the state's usurpations.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing a requirement to take a test to show an individual's knowledge of firearm safety and laws in order to get a LTCH. Also, I think having a person show a basic level of proficiency with a firearm wouldn't be a bad idea for them to get a LTCH.
    What do you guys think of requirements like these that many states already do, especially if it would increase the number of states that honor our permits?

Great idea, I'll get started right now writing up your exam and laying out the on hands proficiency portion covering all types of fire arms, handling, loading, use, care, and safe storage as well as putting together a statement of responsibility acceptance. Of course there will be a reasonable fee and I'll be as quick as I can about getting it back to you.

I'll be the only one giving these test, grading them, and conducting backround checks including any internet postings you've made concerning fire arms or the government so besure to list all those on your application. I wouldn't want to see my fees escalated because of fines due to a inadvertant mistake.

We'll be needing some new facilities to store and record these records, it would probably be easiest to just use your official government record keeping number linked to every other little thing about you, that SS number, finger prints, facial recognition stuff will all come in there some where along with your health and medical records...

... of course I'll be researving the right to change, expand, and reintterpret the rules, regulations, and fees at my own descrection with out notice.

Top Bottom