Lots of folks carry a pistol but…do you train with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Lol I am the worst offender of that, I learned to pistol shoot using the Army 1911 training video.

I swear I am the last of the one handed pistol shooters. I do pretty well with it, and it helps keep the hammer bite from the old guns I have away. I know the modern two handed grip is probably better, but I shoot worse that way, and that grip invites hammer bite on a lot of the old guns I have about.

My father is a one hand handgun shooter. He's very good at it. I was trained for two hand myself.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Part of the "training" aspects with our carry pistol has got to be improvement.
    What I mean is, “I’ve always done it this way” can’t be part of our mindset.
    Were some folks good at this or that? Bill Jordan could draw one handed, point shoot his M19 S&W revolver and hit an aspirin in 2/5sec.
    Few can rise to that level of proficiency.

I started out shooting in the old Weaver stance. It’s how I was taught and….then came along the isosceles and, my desire to train told me to see if I could implement that into my draw. I’ve modified it a bit and shoot a modified Weaver/isosceles stance now.

The point I’m trying to make is this: There is no place in CCW where we stop learning. If there is, we’re either stating we’ve reached perfection or are just old guys that are too stubborn to learn.

I’m 67. I teethed on a M36, 5 shot S&W revolver, was taught to shoot by my GySgt dad and we often shot at the range inside the Federal Building downtown Detroit, and, while that is a great foundation it is only that, a foundation.
    No one pours a foundation and throws a sleeping bag on it and calls it good. They build a house.

Oftentimes, we do just that though in our training/learning/practicing with our CCW and seem quite content "sleeping on the cement in some goose down….."

It ain’t supposed to be that way. Gotta build on the skills we have today for tomorrow.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, the folks that go there are going to talk about training. Folks come here to talk about handguns. I figured I’d get more responses here to my original question. ;)

Understood sir. Just pointing out to those reading that there are further resources to actual training vs backyard practice on their own, however sofisticated it may be.

Rescources that can actually test to see that folks have the skillset they believe they have.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Part of the "training" aspects with our carry pistol has got to be improvement.
    What I mean is, “I’ve always done it this way” can’t be part of our mindset.
    Were some folks good at this or that? Bill Jordan could draw one handed, point shoot his M19 S&W revolver and hit an aspirin in 2/5sec.
    Few can rise to that level of proficiency.

I started out shooting in the old Weaver stance. It’s how I was taught and….then came along the isosceles and, my desire to train told me to see if I could implement that into my draw. I’ve modified it a bit and shoot a modified Weaver/isosceles stance now.

The point I’m trying to make is this: There is no place in CCW where we stop learning. If there is, we’re either stating we’ve reached perfection or are just old guys that are too stubborn to learn.

I’m 67. I teethed on a M36, 5 shot S&W revolver, was taught to shoot by my GySgt dad and we often shot at the range inside the Federal Building downtown Detroit, and, while that is a great foundation it is only that, a foundation.
    No one pours a foundation and throws a sleeping bag on it and calls it good. They build a house.

Oftentimes, we do just that though in our training/learning/practicing with our CCW and seem quite content "sleeping on the cement in some goose down….."

It ain’t supposed to be that way. Gotta build on the skills we have today for tomorrow.
    I have to say I am surprised by that, but you sir are spot on. I couldn't agree more.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Understood sir. Just pointing out to those reading that there are further resources to actual training vs backyard practice on their own, however sofisticated it may be.

Rescources that can actually test to see that folks have the skillset they believe they have.

Yes sir, agree completely!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How many of us keep detailed training records? I don't, but I should. Lannie Basham says in his book that "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it ". I've been using a timer for practice, but I never record anything and come away with just a "I did better today " feeling but with no data to track progress.

For those that track data, do you record only results or do you record inputs as well.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    How many of us keep detailed training records? I don't, but I should. Lannie Basham says in his book that "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it ". I've been using a timer for practice, but I never record anything and come away with just a "I did better today " feeling but with no data to track progress.

For those that track data, do you record only results or do you record inputs as well.
    I record everything. Date, time, location, weather, what guns, what ammo. All of the drills or COF's, times, reps, etc. More importantly I have a plan before I go, no wasted reps, time, or ammo.

I am not saying that is the only way, there are better shooters than me who don't do any of that.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan

Not as detailed as cedartop BUT, I do record times, guns, drills and such.
    I was using a Competition Electronics shot timer but it just didn't work as well as I expected. I purchased a different one, Range Tech, that uses Blue Tooth to connect to my phone. There is a way to save the data digitally but I haven't gotten that started yet. Here is a link to the one I am using now.

It is the same one that ASP uses. It brings a lot of neat features to the "table".

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Sometimes I’m there for fun, just a quick trip, whatever, but when I’m more serious about doing drills I have taken to recording some info.

I can see progress, but my biggest eye opener from the data was when we had a warm streak end of February or first of March how much my skills had declined and times went up.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Just pointing out to those who may have missed it that INGO has a whole forum on training...

Another couple observations to ponder...

Range trigger time, practice, drills on your own, etc all good to do. If you aren't shooting in a group environment, with instruction observing, you might be developing poor habits. Poor habits that could be detrimental to your achieving good gun handling, good marksmanship and or even safe habits that could be dangerous to others and yourself.

Another thing to go along with at least some organized instructive training is competitive shooting. Watching others shoot along with others watching you, under the pressure of a timer and actual scoring can be a real eye opener also. It can take you to a level of authentic confidence, actually knowing what you can do vs what you believe you can do.

:twocents:
    Good advice, something I have done is to set up a tripod with an iPhone or iPad and record myself.
    I’ve seen some detail in movements when you can go frame by frame that ranged from ‘ok, do more if that’, to downright scary.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

Don't forget to get down there and routinely examine that foundation. If it crumbles, so does the entire house.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I need to improve what I record. Right now, I keep a record of all range trips, date, location, firearms and round counts. That's not training data though, that's just tracking round counts for maintenance. I do take a shot timer but very rarely record results. Even when I do, I do a poor job of it. I need to fix this. Not all range trips are training trips for me, so just heading out to plink with a couple of 1911s does not count as training and I won't record it as such.

But, I need to establish a plan and work towards it while recording progress made during the actual range trips that are training focused.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2023
    Central Indiana
    It’s a bit difficult to practice with my handguns since I’m only 20 and shooting ranges cannot have anyone under the age of 21 possess a handgun on their property. Thankfully I have a cousin who’s law enforcement who lets me comeover to his place and let off a few mags here and there while giving me advice on how to shoot.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    WARNING!!!!!!! LONG POST!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    So, I went to the range today to get some "standards" for the beginning of this journey. I hope I can make it for a while. I think this has some promise!
    Here is what I did. I took the Dot Torture (Timed) Drill, the Fast Test and the 1,2,3 drill and recorded the times that I took to shoot it. Two pistols: My P365 X MACRO TACOPS and P320 Compact. The two latter courses are able to be found out on the web. The DTT drill is as follows:

1680889791039.png
    There are a lot of times that are not all that stellar BUT, I'm just getting started in this journey, so, honestly, I'm pretty well pleased with them. Just by way of information, I did the DTT Drill a few weeks ago with these two pistols too. The times on these tests are better than I did on those so.....I think that is improvement.

I don't have any unrealistic expectations either. I'm 67, overweight and I don't have the upper body strength nor the response time nor the mental acuity I had when younger. I'm never going to get to a sub 1 second draw. I'm good with that. On my best days, I'm at 1.3sec area but, everything has to be done perfectly for me....My reloads suffer some because of that too, I think I am now around a 3.5sec reload. Both the draw and reload are from concealment too, not open. I hope that gives me a bit of an "alibi" or "Mulligan" or excuses to keep some of the "Tacticool Folks" away from being too critical and commenting.

(P.S. There was an error on the sheet that I have now corrected too.)
    Here are the times from my P365 X MACRO TACOPS:
    1680889468046.png

Here are the times from my P320 Compact:
    1680889906784.png

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    LOL
    So, I went to the range today to get some "standards" for the beginning of this journey. I hope I can make it for a while. I think this has some promise!
    Here is what I did. I took the Dot Torture (Timed) Drill, the Fast Test and the 1,2,3 drill and recorded the times that I took to shoot it. Two pistols: My P365 X MACRO TACOPS and P320 Compact. The two latter courses are able to be found out on the web. The DTT drill is as follows:

View attachment 268406
    There are a lot of times that are not all that stellar BUT, I'm just getting started in this journey, so, honestly, I'm pretty well pleased with them. Just by way of information, I did the DTT Drill a few weeks ago with these two pistols too. The times on these tests are better than I did on those so.....I think that is improvement.

I don't have any unrealistic expectations either. I'm 67, overweight and I don't have the upper body strength nor the response time nor the mental acuity I had when younger. I'm never going to get to a sub 1 second draw. I'm good with that. On my best days, I'm at 1.3sec area but, everything has to be done perfectly for me....My reloads suffer some because of that too, I think I am now around a 3.5sec reload. Both the draw and reload are from concealment too, not open. I hope that gives me a bit of an "alibi" or "Mulligan" or excuses to keep some of the "Tacticool Folks" away from being too critical and commenting.

View attachment 268405

View attachment 268407
    In a Gabe White class, drawing from concealment (or duty with ALS/SLS minimum retention) gets you a .25 second bonus over his standards, based on open carry.

Lots of great info, looking forward to trying your timed dot torture.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I read in one of the drills by Todd Louis Greene that they added .5sec to your time if you were drawing from an open holster. Either way, it is what it is….I should have started this journey a long while back. Lol
    The measurements for the target areas are from an IPSC target but, I think any “tactical” target would work. I mean, from the “circle” A zone to a triangle head box…..I just think the change in target acquisition fits the need of training/practice.

Thanks for the kind words too. The encouragement is appreciated.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    LOL

View attachment 268406

View attachment 268405

View attachment 268407
    Kudos to you for Not having the mentality of yeah I am that good, there is nothing for me to learn.

As far as criticism from the Mall Ninjas disregard and move on.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    It’s a bit difficult to practice with my handguns since I’m only 20 and shooting ranges cannot have anyone under the age of 21 possess a handgun on their property. Thankfully I have a cousin who’s law enforcement who lets me comeover to his place and let off a few mags here and there while giving me advice on how to shoot.
    Laser target systems combined with dry fire can go a long way

Top Bottom