• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OK, so I've looked at many, handled a few, and still can't seem to find just what I would like in a new carry gun.

It will probably take me quite a while to convince the wife I *need* to spend the $$ on a new gun, so this is not going to be an overnight decision and I'd like to get something I will be happy keeping and shooting pretty much forever...

I'd appreciate suggestions from the vast knowledge pool of the INGO expertise to see if I could get a little help finding a gun with these qualities:
    1. semi-auto--I'm open to different calibers so I'm not wanting to exclude much here...let's say minimum .380, though probably 9mm or above most likely
    2. external thumb safety--ambi is nice but not absolutely necessary
    3. grip fits pretty big paw--I'm 6'1" with big hands and really don't like not getting to use my pinky on the grip
    4. fun to shoot--kind of goes with #3, but I am not fond of really snappy guns that are difficult to keep on target due to excessive perceived recoil
    5. at least fairly concealable IWB
    6. "reasonably" priced--let's say under $500 or at least in that ballpark--I will just never win the argument that I *need* to spend a thousand on another new gun...sigh.
    7. hopefully not mutually exclusive with #5, but reliable as well; I'm not a snob when it comes to manufacturers as I've had a S&W that got sent back twice and an old Taurus that I shot until I finally wore out the recoil spring, replaced it and it kept going...STILL unhappy I sold that one.

So, with all those conditions in mind, what do you all know have experience with/know of that might eventually become my new pride and joy??

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You really need to get out and shoot different guns. People can give you opinions all day and that won't tell you a thing for what is best for you.

I carry a M&P 9c with a 17rd mag, which would fit your criteria. The shorter barrel is more comfortable for me to carry, and the full size mag is more comfortable for me when I am gripping the pistol. Of course it also gives me more rounds as well.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That's kinda like asking what's a decent car under $30,000...lot and lots of options. Assuming you are buying new; under $500 excludes some offerings.

If you are stuck on a safety - M&P 2.0 Compact (Shield if you want something smaller) or the FDE 5" if you want a full size.

Dollar for dollar, my new polymer favorite is the CZ P10 C (no safety).

Springfield XDs have a grip safety...but they aren't my cup of brass err..tea.

Lots and lots and lots of options. Have you made the rounds of the rental counters and found what you seem to shoot best?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You really need to get out and shoot different guns. People can give you opinions all day and that won't tell you a thing for what is best for you.

I carry a M&P 9c with a 17rd mag, which would fit your criteria. The shorter barrel is more comfortable for me to carry, and the full size mag is more comfortable for me when I am gripping the pistol. Of course it also gives me more rounds as well.

This! It's good to do research and gathering opinions can help. But it can also lead to confusion and indecision. I like that you are looking at this to carry "pretty much forever". There are a lot of options and once you find one that will work, you just need to shoot it until it becomes like a part of you. Most any gun will do that if you put in the time.

As others have said, try some out. You can go to a store that has a large selection(like Cabela's) and touch and feel a lot of contenders at one time. This can help to narrow down the choices. Then go to some ranges or hit some of us up to meet you so you can try ours. Consider the cost of renting several pistols an investment to be sure when you do buy, you're not sorry.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Thumb saftey requirement helps narrow it down so that's helpful. If you decided on striker or hammer that narrow it down well too. I'd look at Hk p30 and USP. CZP09 or 07,M&P 2.0. I think Sig P series has some models with a saftey specificly a P226 or 229.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Since you want the thumb safety it excludes my two suggestions -
    Glock 43 9mm, I just picked one up and love it. easy to carry, I bought a IWB holster for it and can wear it with my normal pants
    FN FS 9 , 9mm striker fired, more full sized 17 + 1 have not carried it but it shoots great

I bought both of these a few weeks ago

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the ideas so far, folks!

Yeah, I've been slowly looking through gun shelves/counters...It's easy to find something that will meet some of my criteria, but really hard to find something that meets most. I'm definitely not stuck on brand new, either. I guess I'm kind of old fashioned and obsess about the thumb safety issue. Guns without that just don't feel right to me, regardless of how well they're made or what else they've got going for them.

I have learned that opinions of someone who owns/has owned a particular model mean quite a bit more than statistics based reliability statements--at least to me. I definitely don't want to get something that feels awesome and then a few short years later ends up needing all kinds of work, nor do I want to get something that is just not going to work right at all.

One of my sticking points is that I can find something that fits my hand well, feels good overall, and is about as concealable as a brick...or find many that conceal really well, but leave 1-2 fingers dangling off the grip and feel like a toy in my paw.

I have to do all the various kinds of research possible before I can even bring it up with She Who Must Be Obeyed, or the conversation won't even be worth having. One of the prices to pay for marrying the redhead girl of my dreams I guess. A price I'll pay gladly to STAY married to her, by the way!

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis

Yup! I've looked at those...and if the HK had a thumb safety, it just might work. If only I wasn't so danged persnickity about what I like, right??

Oh, and I just thought of yet another possible criteria... I really like having the rail under the barrel... NOT a must-have for me, but it's kind of a nice option to have.

So what else do you already have that fits well, works well, and has that pesky safety, Itchy?

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Yup! I've looked at those...and if the HK had a thumb safety, it just might work. If only I wasn't so danged persnickity about what I like, right??

Oh, and I just thought of yet another possible criteria... I really like having the rail under the barrel... NOT a must-have for me, but it's kind of a nice option to have.

So what else do you already have that fits well, works well, and has that pesky safety, Itchy?

That's the only gun with a safety gun I (will) own.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Anything you like in 9, .40 or .45.

Or if you have a really good gun belt an American Eagle in .50

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have to admit, Double T, that I am finding the CZ's more and more attractive... and after vising the CZ website, it looks like there might be 2 or 3 contenders there... though I'd still love to hear from folks who have them and what they think as far as form and function. They at least DO have the safety I really want to have.

Thanks, by the way, for the suggestion!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OK, so I've looked at many, handled a few, and still can't seem to find just what I would like in a new carry gun.

1. Been there and done/doing that, but I've been doing it only for 10 months and I see you joined here 7 yrs. ago, so you have the benefit of more experience than I had/have behind your belt (puns intended for IWB/OWB).

It will probably take me quite a while to convince the wife I *need* to spend the $$ on a new gun, so this is not going to be an overnight decision and I'd like to get something I will be happy keeping and shooting pretty much forever...

2. If I only bought 1 she could live with it. :dunno:

I'd appreciate suggestions from the vast knowledge pool of the INGO expertise to see if I could get a little help finding a gun with these qualities:
    1. semi-auto--I'm open to different calibers so I'm not wanting to exclude much here...let's say minimum .380, though probably 9mm or above most likely
    2. external thumb safety--ambi is nice but not absolutely necessary
    3. grip fits pretty big paw--I'm 6'1" with big hands and really don't like not getting to use my pinky on the grip
    4. fun to shoot--kind of goes with #3, but I am not fond of really snappy guns that are difficult to keep on target due to excessive perceived recoil
    5. at least fairly concealable IWB
    6. "reasonably" priced--let's say under $500 or at least in that ballpark--I will just never win the argument that I *need* to spend a thousand on another new gun...sigh.
    7. hopefully not mutually exclusive with #5, but reliable as well; I'm not a snob when it comes to manufacturers as I've had a S&W that got sent back twice and an old Taurus that I shot until I finally wore out the recoil spring, replaced it and it kept going...STILL unhappy I sold that one.

So, with all those conditions in mind, what do you all know have experience with/know of that might eventually become my new pride and joy??

3. Many have already said what was so helpful to me: go to the range and rent and shoot and rent and shoot.
    4. Guns that I originally dismissed, like the Shield 9 and Glock 26 b/c I thought I wanted the smallest 9mm I could find, I ended up owning months later after renting and buying and selling many others: my growth process.
    5. I still appreciate a small gun (.32 Beretta or two .380s I own: S/W M/P Bodyguard and old Colt Mustang and a .22 magnum NAA just for deep carry situations), but you indicate wanting only 1 gun, so that would seem to mitigate getting at least a 9mm, but if you can conceal a Shield 45, it is hardly bigger than the Shield 9: I struggled with that decision of which to keep when I owned both.
    6. I have 3 different J frame revolvers (my default CC), but it seems most like the semi-autos.
    7. I appreciate your search, and know my own is not over, but since I have the Shield 9, I could get one a little smaller, like the Glock 43 or others, but can't justify the expense at this point.
    8. Since I have the Glock 26, a bigger "small" 9mm, I love it for a slew of different reasons: it is a Glock (never had one before b/c of expense), greater capacity, choice of grips, CC sometimes but still big enough for the range (with pinky extension or bigger mag).
    9. Also, you indicated issues with a Smith and had to send it back twice but had good luck with the Taurus, which many swear at, and I have been there with both myself, needing repairs, another reason why I'm so glad to have a Glock with its stellar reputation.
    10. Keep us informed and updated, I have been told to look at the CZ but I love the price-point of the S/W (I buy used: $300+/-) and the Glock 26 I bought off a member here for $400 in like-new condition, which is above what I usually pay, but you already are willing to pay $500ish, so especially if you buy a good/great used gun from a member here you would be served well. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have to admit, Double T, that I am finding the CZ's more and more attractive... and after vising the CZ website, it looks like there might be 2 or 3 contenders there... though I'd still love to hear from folks who have them and what they think as far as form and function. They at least DO have the safety I really want to have.

Thanks, by the way, for the suggestion!

Great sport pistols, less than stellar for carry unless you like heavy pistols with sharp edges. Over your budget by a little as well. Mp 2.0 fills all of the requirements you have and carries easier than the cz

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    For me, this is a no brainer... Given your price point, IMO there are only a small handful of guns I would trust my life to.

I would say if you can find a P30 (9mm) with LEM trigger, that would be an instant buy. With the price drops HK just made, you are essentially getting a what used to be $950 plus dollar gun for $500ish. Thats an incredible value, and its a gun that meets every single point you have asked for.

Just behind that, I would say go get a G19 either Gen3 or Gen4. Buy them used... there are plenty out and most Glocks are going to last a lifetime. Glocks are the mustang of the firearms world so you can tinker and toy around until your hearts content if you get board with it later on. I would say skip all the other plastic brands outside of Glock and HK. Honestly, with the **** Springfield pulled a few years back... I would never, ever support this company. S&W... eh, just to many moving parts inside with a randomly strange trigger system... Glock just beats it with that point alone.

Other than a G19... a G43 would def be in right behind that choice.

I do like the G42 but, its because of how concealable it is. If you are a bigger dude, just get the 43!

Really, thats the list man...

HK P30 (LEM)
    G19 (Gen 3 or Gen 4)
    G43

Anything else outside out these guns at the $500 ish dollar mark make very little sense to me. Thats my opinion, its one I have developed over years and years of owning, shooting, and running everything you can imagine right into the ground.

Cheers!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd seriously check out the M&P Compact 2.0. Has the option to buy with a thumb safety, has swappable grip inserts to adjust to hand size, and you can opt to use the mags from the full size with the grip sleeves that come with the gun.

Plenty of aftermarket support for holsters which will solve your concealment issue (I'd suggest a good hybrid IWB) with a good belt like a biobelt.

The M&P Compact 2.0 can be had for $400 on Grab a Gun.

Also, the sights that come on the M&P are nice and very usable until such time as you can pony up for night sights.

I really like this gun and the Glock 19's (and the 26) have been taking up space in the safe since I've picked up the M&P. I do still opt for the Glock 43 occasionally when I want something to completely disappear, but the Compact 2.0 conceals very well.

Top Bottom