• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Jmarriott,

It was the "Deities & Demigods" book. It was only the 1st run of the book that become valuable because TSR did this little thing called "copy write" infringement by inserting the Cthulhu, Melnebonean and Nehwon mythos into the game with this book. It seems they didn't think it necessary to get permission to use characters and ideas from other authors. Oops...

Eddie,

You may want to consider using the TriTac system of "Fringeworthy" and/or "Stalking the Night Fantastic." Both of these can lend themselves to an infinite variety of SHTF scenarios, alternate earth histories, modern times, and historic situations.

To All,

As Eddie said it is GenCon for "Geneva Convention" where TSR was originally located. I believe they moved the convention some years ago when WOTC (Wizards of the Coast) bought out TSR.

I'd personally go with the new AD&D 3.50 system over GURPS. It seems like WOTC is looking to make more money by constantly changing the rules. 3.5 is quite adequate to make a character and keep character classes, IF you like character classes. AD&D 4.0 sucks wet farts out of dead pigeons as far as I am concerned!!! Would not take a leak on it if it were on fire.

If WotC would pull their heads out of their kazoo's and focus building background information for their worlds instead of altering game rules they could still sell a crapton of books without forcing everyone to buy new rules books.

TriTac doesn't use character classes, BTW.

Anyone olde enough to remember the predecessor to AD&D, "
    D&D in the three (3) little books?" Or, Heaven forbid, "Chainmail?"

Anyway, I hope you find someone to game with. I doubt there are many that even know what it is. I've certainly never gamed myself but I understand it can be...addicting...:rolleyes:

Regards,

Doug

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the responses. I checked the posting board at The Game Preserve on the Southside a few weekends ago, but it only contained clumsily written pieces of paper, some dating back to 2007, and has returned any results. I will keep checking there.

So anyone who is into D&D and finds this thread later, chances are I'm still looking.

Thanks again.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I can remember when Chainmail was sold at Service Merchandise with just the little booklet and some dice. That would have been about 1978 or so. I still had the old Basic D&D boxed set until recently when I gave it to a friend whose daughters wanted to learn to play.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I play D&D semi-regularly. I picked it up in college... as a joke. A bunch of us ended liking it and we had a lot of people gaming with us. My biggest problem is finding a group of people to play with that I don't want to punch in the face. I love dorky stuff just as much as the next guy but D&D seems to attract a certain personality type that lacks social skills and constantly likes to biquer with the DM. STFU and play!

So THAT's why you wont game DnD with me? lol

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    i like playing d n d but to get our family to start before midnight , is like pulling teath. we play out of the 2nd and 3rd adds there is two of them that can dm off the top of there heads, and it great, but they start so late. i found a compleat set of 1st adds one time and sold it to one of them . i have looked at the 4th adds book but never played from them. and i think its cool that theres people on here that eather play or played d n d.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I think its too bad that it got labeled as a "dorky" hobby. RPG's are good clean, inexpensive fun. I still get made fun of for playing but I have hit the point in my life where I don't care anymore.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok... my one and only claim to fame: I know - I mean really know -- as in close friend - so close we can't be any more close - the editor of one of the Forgotten Realms campaign books. FR16: The Shining South.

And yes, I know the cover image of the publication doesn't match the description in the book. They don't let the freelance editors see the cover art. And they give the rough draft of the manuscript to the artist, but the freelance editor gets a third or fourth draft.

If you are looking to find a good campaign setting to use for D&D 3.5 check out: Arcanis: The World of Shattered Empires

They've got a "living" campaign that was very enjoyable to play across a convention and game day setting. Unfortunately, I couldn't get enough time away from work to develop out any characters - and I completely missed the final two years of their first story arc.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Role Play. Think of the game of "pretend" from your childhood... where you and your friends pretend to be people in a world like Lord of the Rings - wizards, fighters, thieves - and various races: Elves, Dwarves, humans -- out to slay dragons, save the maidens, gather the loot.

Only this game has a common set of rules.

One player is the "Storyteller" who either writes the outline of the adventure, or reads through a pre-made one. That Storyteller (aka: Dungeon Master - since the early adventures were set in dungeons of natural and hand carved caves where monsters lurked amid traps tricks and more monsters)

The Storyteller is the judge of the adventure. S/He applies the rules - but good ones do so in a way that the players are challenged - but have fun thinking and acting their way through the adventure.

The game is usually played around the dinner table. Your character is the guideline for your "acting". The rules are there to tell you what your chance of doing a task is.

For example... Shooting an arrow at a target at long range. Your character would have a chance determined by their natural abilities, their experience, their equipment. Cross reference a chart, look up the number you need to beat by rolling one or more dice (D&D uses many dice, but the most common is a 20 sided die).

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Role Play. Think of the game of "pretend" from your childhood... where you and your friends pretend to be people in a world like Lord of the Rings - wizards, fighters, thieves - and various races: Elves, Dwarves, humans -- out to slay dragons, save the maidens, gather the loot.

Only this game has a common set of rules.

One player is the "Storyteller" who either writes the outline of the adventure, or reads through a pre-made one. That Storyteller (aka: Dungeon Master - since the early adventures were set in dungeons of natural and hand carved caves where monsters lurked amid traps tricks and more monsters)

The Storyteller is the judge of the adventure. S/He applies the rules - but good ones do so in a way that the players are challenged - but have fun thinking and acting their way through the adventure.

The game is usually played around the dinner table. Your character is the guideline for your "acting". The rules are there to tell you what your chance of doing a task is.

For example... Shooting an arrow at a target at long range. Your character would have a chance determined by their natural abilities, their experience, their equipment. Cross reference a chart, look up the number you need to beat by rolling one or more dice (D&D uses many dice, but the most common is a 20 sided die).

Thank you.

Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but I may sing a different tune if I was ever introduced to it...

BTW, does the story teller/dungeon master get to participate in the game or are they the equivalent of a referee/umpire/moderator?

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you.

Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but I may sing a different tune if I was ever introduced to it...

BTW, does the story teller/dungeon master get to participate in the game or are they the equivalent of a referee/umpire/moderator?

The storyteller/DM gets to play the parts of all the NPCs (Non-Player Characters) that the players meet along the way.

If your party is sneaking into a dragon's lair, the storyteller knows if the Dragon is really asleep, or merely pretending. The DM knows just how good the dragon is with fighting, flying, magic, and out-witting the Player's Characters.

I much prefer to play as the DM - because I'm always challenged to be on my toes - to make the game challenging enough to be enjoyable, but not too hard to kill off the characters because of dumb luck.

Too many DMs are Rules-nazis and refuse to help the plot advance because one too many die rolls goes against a player. Too many players get hung up in the numbers side, and calculating odds, maximizing chances - instead of going for the glory, or noble sacrifice, etc. Others love the story and acting aspects.

I like the story, so I like to play as DM. I have much more freedom and try to keep the players involved in the storyline, challenge them to think, but I also shave a few points off my die rolls if I start having all the luck for the bad guys. Playing is no fun when you're dead because of dice. But it's full of fun, if your character decides to sacrifice themselves for the good of the party - or they talk their way out of fighting the dragon after they've had their butts handed to them and are about to become Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for the great serpent.

I got to game with Ed Greenwood (author of one of the biggest D&D worlds) at a convention once. Ed told us he almost never rolls dice. He emphasizes the ROLE play (or how well a player can interact in the world, and how they can help move the story along).

When challenged by a player with an over-developed sense of rules-lawyering: "Why didn't you roll a die? How do you know he succeed at (insert action here)? You didn't roll"

Ed said he then picked up a die (die is singular of dice) and tossed it over his shoulder and into the hallway. Without even looking at the die again, he said "He made it. It was a brave and noble act and fit the story perfectly. I like it, and I wrote the story, so we move on."

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I got to game with Ed Greenwood (author of one of the biggest D&D worlds) at a convention once. Ed told us he almost never rolls dice. He emphasizes the ROLE play (or how well a player can interact in the world, and how they can help move the story along).

When challenged by a player with an over-developed sense of rules-lawyering: "Why didn't you roll a die? How do you know he succeed at (insert action here)? You didn't roll"

Ed said he then picked up a die (die is singular of dice) and tossed it over his shoulder and into the hallway. Without even looking at the die again, he said "He made it. It was a brave and noble act and fit the story perfectly. I like it, and I wrote the story, so we move on."

Excuse my ignorance, because I've never even seen a DD being played, but that last part confused me...Are you saying if you are the DM you can dictate who wins? Or at least dictate if you win?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Thank you.

Tell me if this link works for you... I'm using a proxy at the moment: Learn About Dungeons & Dragons There is a short demo tutorial that is interactive and shows you the basics of a dungeon skirmish. If you ever make it to Columbus, you can game with us sometime... if you ever get the desire to play.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Excuse my ignorance, because I've never even seen a DD being played, but that last part confused me...Are you saying if you are the DM you can dictate who wins? Or at least dictate if you win?

One common misconception about role-play games is that there is a winner. There is no "winner".

If your character is still going at the end of the adventure, or if you had fun playing - you're a winner - come back next week with the rest of the crew and see if you can be winners again. You probably will if you have a good group to play the game with.

D&D is a team sport. You play to have fun, and work with the other players to overcome the obstacles.

Good DMs don't determine who wins. They challenge the players with a story that pushes the player's abilities and problem solving skills. The good DMs adjust on the fly to keep the challenge level interesting without being decimating.

I've played in a few games where the DM's only purpose was to kill off the characters. Those were no fun. But, with proper build up, and permission from the players, a DM can run a campaign (series of games leading to a grand finale) where failure is a definite probability. When this is done in a spirit of noble sacrifice, and the players are willing to push their characters to the limits in a challenge to see how far they can go - that can be a fun game.

(NOTE: Player = the real person rolling the dice. Character = the make-believe entity the player is controlling)

The main idea is to find a group of people that you're friendly with in real life to begin playing. Try to be a team player while you learn. It's considered bad form to role-play a thief that backstabs your team-mates and steals their stuff.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    The main idea is to find a group of people that you're friendly with in real life to begin playing. Try to be a team player while you learn. It's considered bad form to role-play a thief that backstabs your team-mates and steals their stuff.

One of my favorite Lars-stories is from when he was playing with a group up in Milwaukee for several years. One of his characters was a double-agent type. His group was protecting Someone, and he had a secret mission unknown to the other players to actually kill that Someone. He said it was fun trying to think of ways to make the death look like an accident, and his friends kept finding ways to thwart him. They knew something wasn't right about him, but what they thought was the "secret" was way off from what his real secret was. I'll have to ask him about it again. :):

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Tell me if this link works for you... I'm using a proxy at the moment: Learn About Dungeons & Dragons There is a short demo tutorial that is interactive and shows you the basics of a dungeon skirmish. If you ever make it to Columbus, you can game with us sometime... if you ever get the desire to play.

Yeah, it worked and I watched it...

That seems complicated...How long does it take to get the hang of it?

Top Bottom