• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I am looking at getting a pocket pistol in 380. I carry a 40 S&W but with warmer weather I am looking at a light weight gun for the pocket. I have got it down to 3 so far just looking for some input on these guns good bad and the ugly. The 3 are Ruger LCP, Bersa Thunder 380 and Kel Tec P3at 380. I know the 380 is not a big gun but it is compatible to a 38 spl and I'm good with that. Right now small and light weight is the priority but the 380 is a minimum cartridge.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just personal input, but I looked at .380, but when I looked at the 9mm from Diamondback (DB() that just came out, I jumped on it. Take a look at it and if you are ever in the area and want to go shooting, just let me know.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have a Taurus TCP .380, comparable to the kel tec and ruger. GREAT to carry, not so much to shoot...I shoot a magazine through it almost every trip to the range and at 7 to 10 yds it hits pretty close to point of aim. But such a small gun in my hand has a bit of recoil and isn't really that fun to shoot. But if I need it its there and I'm confident in it's ability to go bang if the SHTF

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    A friend of mine has the Ruger LCP and it is a little snappy, but still manageable at 7yds. I hung on to it for a week and forgot it was in my front pocket the whole time. It turns out the week I had it was the first time it had been shot, I put 50 federal through it with out a hiccup.:twocents:

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My LCP has been 100% reliable with several different types of ammo. I just with .380 ammo wasn't so expensive. I would shoot it way more if it wasn't.

I really like mine:yesway:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just personal input, but I looked at .380, but when I looked at the 9mm from Diamondback (DB() that just came out, I jumped on it. Take a look at it and if you are ever in the area and want to go shooting, just let me know.

Did a search on these and found this to be a interesting find. It seems that some of the engineers from Kel Tec opened their own gunworks. Who locally carries them? This may fit the bill as well.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    A friend of mine has the Ruger LCP and it is a little snappy, but still manageable at 7yds. I hung on to it for a week and forgot it was in my front pocket the whole time. It turns out the week I had it was the first time it had been shot, I put 50 federal through it with out a hiccup.:twocents:

The carry issue is exacly why I am looking at these. I carry my full size in a Crossbread Supertuck and I can hide it pretty easy but I want something lighter to have another option.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    The Kel-Tec is decent little shooter. Carries well in a wallet holster or w/belt clip
    The LCP is a little snappy carries well with a belt clip
    The Bersa is a nice sized gun ,fits good in the my hand and has a safty/decocker.
    I enjoy shooting the bersa best of the three, but carry the kel-tec more often (sold lcp)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'd have to echo what others have said; all 3 of those are kind of the 'top of the heap' when it comes to the pocket .380 pistols. They aren't all-day shooters but are a lot of fun. I've shot the LCP with the Crimson Trace on the front and it is a great little gun.

Have you looked at the LC9? 9mm in a slightly larger package but still single-stack and the slide locks open on an empty mag where the LCP does not. Only issue with LC9 is finding one though. Let us know what you get.

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    The carry issue is exacly why I am looking at these. I carry my full size in a Crossbread Supertuck and I can hide it pretty easy but I want something lighter to have another option.

I own the KelTec PF9, and I love it. However it is a bit heavier for pocket carry but do-able. That being said, the LCP gets my vote here for pocket carry and functionality. I'm not familiar with the others, I'm sure they're fine pistols. Oh yeah, the one I used had a Crimson Trace, which was a nice feature, seeing as how the LCP doesn't have the best sights. Good luck.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I know the 380 is not a big gun but it is compatible to a 38 spl and I'm good with that.

I disagree with this statement as the 380 even in it's hottest loading will not compare to a 38 Spl when also loaded to +P+ levels. I am not saying with proper placement the 380 will not work, it will...I am just saying it is not a 38 equivalent.

The Bersa is a decent gun but for concealment it is a large, heavy gun...even the Conceal Carry version. If you can't dress around your 40 I would think the Bersa would suffer from the same challenges. The biggest advantage of going to a .380 is being able to pocket carry and the Bersa would be tough to carry that way.

The LCP and the P3at are basically the same gun. I have had great results with the Kel-Tec so personally I would save some money and buy it over the Ruger. Also the company that makes the 22 conversion for the PF-9 is planning to make a conversion for the P3at as well. Makes for very cheap practice. My conversion for the PF-9 works great btw.

Bersa (Concealed Carry)
    Weight: 16.4 oz.
    Length: 6”
    Height: 4.5”
    Width: 1”

P3at
    Weight: 8.3 oz.
    Length: 5.2”
    Height: 3.5”
    Width: .77”

LCP
    Weight: 9.4 oz.
    Length: 5.2”
    Height: 3.6”
    Width: .82”

I have decided to drop the PF-9 from my pocket carry however, not a size issue as much as a shape issue. The very square profile of the back of the slide makes pocket draw a bit tough. For pocket I have gone to a S&W 642. the shape at the rear of the 642 makes it come out of a pocket much smoother. In the pic you can see the PF-9's hump that tends to hangup, the shape of the S&W ensures a much smoother draw.

pocketbug2.jpg

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I agree that a 380 is not the same as a 38 +P. I have been just looking for a small pocket gun. I have a 38 snub but it is on the heavy side it is a older steel frame I have not really looked at the newer one out there. This could be another option for me.
    Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Of the 3 you listed in my opinion the Bersa is the most enjoyable to shoot, but less of a pocket pistol to me. The keltec p3at and the lcp are great pocket guns and very easy to carry, but not as much fun to shoot. They do get the job done for what they are intended though, up close shooting. To me the lcp and p3at are plenty accurate at 7 yards. Good luck with your decision.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Of the 3 you listed in my opinion the Bersa is the most enjoyable to shoot, but less of a pocket pistol to me. The keltec p3at and the lcp are great pocket guns and very easy to carry, but not as much fun to shoot. They do get the job done for what they are intended though, up close shooting. To me the lcp and p3at are plenty accurate at 7 yards. Good luck with your decision.

Not really looking for a range gun I have pleny of those looking for the small carry gun when smaller is better.
    Thanks for the input.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I am looking at getting a pocket pistol in 380. I carry a 40 S&W but with warmer weather I am looking at a light weight gun for the pocket. I have got it down to 3 so far just looking for some input on these guns good bad and the ugly. The 3 are Ruger LCP, Bersa Thunder 380 and Kel Tec P3at 380. I know the 380 is not a big gun but it is compatible to a 38 spl and I'm good with that. Right now small and light weight is the priority but the 380 is a minimum cartridge.

I just got a Thunder 380 CC. It compares in size almost exactly to my PF-9. Only 2 ounces heavier fully loaded. But it is not really a pocket gun.

The LCP and P3AT are both really snappy. But both easily fit in a pocket.

I'm looking at the Kahr P380 and the Diamondback .380 as options. But they cost more.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    Don't overlook the Taurus TCP. I was looking at the Ruger and Kel-Tec at Cabela's and just for kicks I tried the Taurus TCP. It fit my hand better than the others. At the range one of the magazines would not chamber the first round so I returned it to Taurus. The new mag has been flawless.
    My advice is to hold all of them before you make up your mind.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Figured I'd state my opinion, humble as it is. I dont own a .380. I have watched several people, trained policeman, shoot the Kel Tec and Ruger LCP. I wasnt impressed whatsoever with the accuracy.
    That being said, Im sure many of you carrying these with training and practice can make it work. They say any gun, even a pocket gun, is better than no gun at all. I heard these same trained shooters say that "these 380s arent meant for much accuracy".
    That gun is worthless if it cant be trusted to hit and these same 380s I have watched stove-pipe and misfeed. That is on the range, controlled environment and more than one, even more than 3 or 4, different guns. Now throw in a less than desirable event with your trigger pull excited by your pulse at 200 beats per minute. Gets interesting.
    Sorry to ramble and my goal is not to offend, good luck with the choice you make. Train, train, train. I would recommend looking at some ballistics on the 380 and then compare to the 38 Spl. I ve heard gripes about the .38 spl, but when comparing it to the 380 it looks better. My lightweight carry set up for about 13 years has been a S&W airweight .38 spl.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For pocket carry, the LCP and Kel-Tec are awesome. If you are considering the Bersa, then maybe look into the ruger LC-9, or the Kel-Tec PF-9. The bersa isnt exactly a pocket gun, but is the more pleasant of the ones you listed. Any of them are reliable, accurate choices. Another to throw into the pocket .380 list might be a S&W bodyguard .380, similar size as the LCP, but comes with internal laser, and seems to have a little milder recoil as a result of the added mass out front.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Figured I'd state my opinion, humble as it is. I dont own a .380. I have watched several people, trained policeman, shoot the Kel Tec and Ruger LCP. I wasnt impressed whatsoever with the accuracy.
    That being said, Im sure many of you carrying these with training and practice can make it work. They say any gun, even a pocket gun, is better than no gun at all. I heard these same trained shooters say that "these 380s arent meant for much accuracy".
    That gun is worthless if it cant be trusted to hit and these same 380s I have watched stove-pipe and misfeed. That is on the range, controlled environment and more than one, even more than 3 or 4, different guns. Now throw in a less than desirable event with your trigger pull excited by your pulse at 200 beats per minute. Gets interesting.
    Sorry to ramble and my goal is not to offend, good luck with the choice you make. Train, train, train. I would recommend looking at some ballistics on the 380 and then compare to the 38 Spl. I ve heard gripes about the .38 spl, but when comparing it to the 380 it looks better. My lightweight carry set up for about 13 years has been a S&W airweight .38 spl.

No offense taken my concern is most of these are not high end guns so what you mentioned was one of my concerns. I had a 380 25 years ago and it was a great gun but it was a boat anchor as well. I have not really looked at the revolvers. My primary carry gun for years was a Security 6 snub in 357. It is hard to beat a revolver for reliability. I started carrying a S&W99 in 40 S&W about 2 years ago and the weight difference is nice. That is the main reason I am looking at these polymer frame guns is the weight and the size.

Thanks for the input

Top Bottom