• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I doubt very much the first one he chooses will be his carry gun for the rest of his life for various reasons. New firearms are issued every year and one my end up being his new favorite!

I would try to discourage him from choosing an AR handgun as IMHO these are either a range, home defense or truck gun. Not suited at all for a carry gun!

I am now 80 YO and I carried a Colt Double Eagle (stainless steel DA/SA 45ACP) for over 20 years. I carried it in the small of my back in an Uncle Mike holster. But as I aged it became heavier, and hurt my back when I drove any distance. Currently I carry a 9mm Kimber Solo in a Galco ITB fitted holster at 3 O'clock.

I also own Revolvers -first issue Colt King Cobra (.357) and Colt Anaconda (44 mag) and a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long colt. as well as several other revolvers and semi-auto handguns in various calibers. However I did not carry any of them for any long period of time.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Go to a range that rents out gun and try a few...or see if some INGO folks want to have a shoot and meet, most people don't mind letting other people shoot their guns

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Go to a range that rents out gun and try a few...or see if some INGO folks want to have a shoot and meet, most people don't mind letting other people shoot their guns
    Well as luck would have it, some at work have offered to aid in the process. So the cool thing is he will probably have around 50 handguns to sample. We are going to to meet up at Stones River so a good time should be had by all. Guess all I need to do is supply the Pizza and Ammo.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Let him have time to consider the options and revisit those that stood out. I'd hope he would consider a personal carry option for a first handgun. I carried .22s, .38s, .and a .44 magnum as my first pistols. Went through the 1911s for a couple of decades. Visited Sigs of different flavors, even striker fired plastic guns and derringers from Bond Arms. I am curently carrying a P938 while I proof a Para Ordnance, Carry 12 with an LDA trigger. I replaced the AR pistol with a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Cassul. If I need an AR, I'll capture one. I keep collecting ammo for sizes I don't have. Let them try and figure out where the guns are when they're settling the estate. Get him some gun courses, if he has never been. Maybe a USCCA membership: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/referral?id=MDAxNWIwMDAwMWszb0dYQUFZ&tID=5bf43111b0cd6

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Well as luck would have it, some at work have offered to aid in the process. So the cool thing is he will probably have around 50 handguns to sample. We are going to to meet up at Stones River so a good time should be had by all. Guess all I need to do is supply the Pizza and Ammo.
    Honestly the best way to do it, plus you get to hang out with friends and/or make new friends

Top Bottom