• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    My sister in law lives in the land of home invasions , just off 79th street. I'm trying to help her find a home defense shotgun. She's a small women, 5 foot tall, 90 pounds soaking wet. I think 12 gauge may be a little much for her. I don't need to spend a lot of cash, but at least carry 5 rounds. Any ideas out there?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Unless she's shooting slugs, I doubt she'll mind the recoil if it potentially saves her life. I'd suggest a 12 gauge Mossy 500 or Remy 870 with an 18 1/2 barrel and stock with a recoil pad. 00 buck isn't too bad in terms of recoil.
    I'm not super familiar with 20 gauge SD loads, but I really can't tell too much difference between the two unless I'm shooting slugs or magnum shot loads.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I'll talk to her tomorrow. I was also thinking along the lines of the Rem or Mossy. I just don't know if she'll like the recoil. Looks like I'll have to take her to the range. I just want to see what ideas are out there. I have a full choke Winchester model 12. I'll let her fire a couple rounds through it. If she can handle it, I'll look at an 870 or 500. I just know I want her to have something to point and shoot. She has firearms experience, so I'm not worried about that.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I know Joe Biden suggested a shotgun, but a shotgun is probably not the best choice. A 38 or 9mm handgun would be easier for her to handle in a home. She could take it out of the house if she got her C.C. permit.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Pistol would be easier to manage for her. A full size 9mm with a large capacity mag would be easier to handle in narrow hallways. Basic training in marksmanship would get her up to speed, ready for SD situations.

Shotgun is useful, but I find that a pistol is move useful inside a house. :twocents:

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Pistol would be easier to manage for her. A full size 9mm with a large capacity mag would be easier to handle in narrow hallways. Basic training in marksmanship would get her up to speed, ready for SD situations.

Shotgun is useful, but I find that a pistol is move useful inside a house. :twocents:

That's why I've asked the question, I want the 2 cents.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd suggest a 20 gauge. You get 80% of the power of a 12 gauge with a lot less recoil. Most of all, whatever she chooses, make sure she gets some training. And put a light on it to.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If you are open to handguns, I might suggest a glock 19 or M&P 9. To me and my wife, the 19 is the best. Haven't shot a M&P 9, but it's between a 19/17 in length. And she might find it more perfect.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

I know Joe Biden suggested a shotgun, but a shotgun is probably not the best choice. A 38 or 9mm handgun would be easier for her to handle in a home. She could take it out of the house if she got her C.C. permit.
    This is the best advice. Stay away from the shotgun. It's really hard to carry it along with a child if you have to move from room to room. If you are sit on it keep the loads under 1100 FPS that will help a little.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd suggest a 20 gauge. You get 80% of the power of a 12 gauge with a lot less recoil. Most of all, whatever she chooses, make sure she gets some training. And put a light on it to.

:+1:

IF she wants a long gun, a 20 will do just fine. a 410 will also be quite adequate. the Mossbergs are awesome guns for the money. (I own 3) But as others have said, a handgun might also come in handy.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    For your consideration..........We have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 Persuader with a Streamlight TLR-1. It's not heavy which is a double-edged sword. Easy to handle but it doesn't absorb much recoil. For my wife who is a shooter and relatively strong, it is prohibitively unpleasant to shoot with full-house 00 buck loads. However, there is reduced recoil 00 buck ammo available. We have found that to be just the ticket and at in-your-home ranges still provides serious steam. I think you'll find a similar gun in 20 gauge will be lighter and you may end up with as much or more perceived recoil. Another option might be one of the .410 revolvers.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    I was a little concerned about my wife (small frame 120lbs) being able to handle a 12 gauge as well. Went with a Remington 887 tactical. Not too heavy but it really absorbs recoil. Combined with the reduced recoil rounds she can fire that thing all day.

Top Bottom