• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Hey there ingoer's. I'm looking for solid advice from real 9mm users. I'm currently looking in the 6-700 dollar range for a SA/DA 9mm. Preferably, I would like something with a short trigger travel and or reset and not TOO much pull when in DA (maybe 10-12lbs.)

I just don't know enough about 9mm's to warrant making a decision on my own. Also, my experience at local gun shops tells me that most around me are biased to certain makes/models (either because they own one themselves, or are just trying to grab some extra commission).

So please, I beg of you, o' faithful ingoers, help! :dunno:

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    If you want a DA/SA Gun - there is a Sig P6 in the classifieds way below your dollar limit. It's not by ad, but I've owned and shot a P6 and own three other Sigs - they all run like tops.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I don't like SA/DA guns but I did like the CZ-75BD (blued & decocker) model I had. Great gun, great shooter and is probably sub-$600 easily. Feels really good and shot wonderfully; the only reason I sold it was because it was DA/SA.

The other SA/DA gun is the Beretta 92 models; great gun. Just to get some further info, why SA/DA and not striker fired like an M&P or Glock? Just curious and it may help you find the right gun for you after all of this.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I don't like SA/DA guns but I did like the CZ-75BD (blued & decocker) model I had. Great gun, great shooter and is probably sub-$600 easily. Feels really good and shot wonderfully; the only reason I sold it was because it was DA/SA.

The other SA/DA gun is the Beretta 92 models; great gun. Just to get some further info, why SA/DA and not striker fired like an M&P or Glock? Just curious and it may help you find the right gun for you after all of this.

I like having the option of SA/DA. I don't know my reasoning behind it. And I've fired some Glocks that I really liked the feel of, but not the astehics...

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    You find that here to.;) Not DA/SA but the G19 is an excellent choice.

:yesway: +2

My recommendation would also depend on what you are planning to use it for...

If you have a specific use in mind (competition, target, home defense, carry) let us know and we'll be able to provide much more specific answers.

As far as an all-around gun that does everything pretty well and eats whatever ammo you put into it, I highly recommend the G19.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    If you want a DA/SA Gun - there is a Sig P6 in the classifieds way below your dollar limit. It's not by ad, but I've owned and shot a P6 and own three other Sigs - they all run like tops.
    This might be worth looking into. I own a Sig P225 - same thing I believe, the only differences are markings on the slide, and some heavier springs for the P6 - and it's my favorite 9mm handgun. Accurate, ergonomics are spot on, and it's the most reliable automatic I've ever used. Simply never jammed, even when I intentionally fed it a mixture of crap ammo and empty casings.

Downside: magazines are expensive and only hold eight rounds.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I like having the option of SA/DA. I don't know my reasoning behind it. And I've fired some Glocks that I really liked the feel of, but not the astehics...
    I can feel ya on not liking the aesthetics of a glock. I prefer 1911, but have learned to appreciate Glocks for what they are. Dead reliable, simple to operate, and not terribly expensive. If you want a good DA/SA, taurus makes a couple of decent ones that can be found in your price range.

If you are willing to look past the DA/SA function, but dont care for the striker fired pistols, there are several companies that make DAO pistols with pretty good triggers.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    :yesway: +2

My recommendation would also depend on what you are planning to use it for...

If you have a specific use in mind (competition, target, home defense, carry) let us know and we'll be able to provide much more specific answers.

As far as an all-around gun that does everything pretty well and eats whatever ammo you put into it, I highly recommend the G19.

I'd like it for home defense, and a carry weapon. I currently have a Walther PK380 for pocket carry. But i'd like the 9 for my EDC as well.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I can feel ya on not liking the aesthetics of a glock. I prefer 1911, but have learned to appreciate Glocks for what they are. Dead reliable, simple to operate, and not terribly expensive. If you want a good DA/SA, taurus makes a couple of decent ones that can be found in your price range.

If you are willing to look past the DA/SA function, but dont care for the striker fired pistols, there are several companies that make DAO pistols with pretty good triggers.

My only gripe with DAO is mostly the gritty AND OR heavy pull. If the XD's weren't so hot right now, I may have considered one in 9mm.

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'd like it for home defense, and a carry weapon. I currently have a Walther PK380 for pocket carry. But i'd like the 9 for my EDC as well.

For home defense and carry my first choice is still going to be the G19... :D

That said, you may want to look for a used Sig 228 or 229 or HK USP to play around with, or a Kahr if you're looking for a smaller gun. A Browning Hi-Power is always a good option as well.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    For home defense and carry my first choice is still going to be the G19... :D

That said, you may want to look for a used Sig 228 or 229 or HK USP to play around with, or a Kahr if you're looking for a smaller gun. A Browning Hi-Power is always a good option as well.

HK USP in my price range?!:n00b: Seriously!? What do you think of CZ's? I was interested in Sigs, until I read a lot about long, gritty triggers. Do you have any experience with the 228 or 229?

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    What about a Beretta? Both the 92/96 series and newer Px4 series are DA/SA and in your price range. PX4 DA trigger pull is in the 10lb range and i"m not sure about the 92/92. There are plenty of positive reviews about both platforms as well.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Not sure if you are looking for a conceal carry weapon, but if not, the Beretta 92 FS is a heck of a gun. New, they run about $600. I also picked up a Sig 226 recently, used, and it is also a great shooting gun. The Beretta is used by the military and the Sig 226 is one of the most widely used police guns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyairz
    Top Bottom