• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Did I say Glock 19? Just kidding.:D The Beretta 92FS is a very nice pistol. A little big to carry but doable. I carried one for years untill I switched to my Glock 19. Now If you want to shoot both you are welcome, come to Anderson and try them both.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I'm helping a new shooter get started in competition shooting (Steel Challenge, USPSA, Friday Night Steel), I typically recommend a "plastic pistol" in 9mm. While the decision can turn into a Ford versus Chevy debate, I typically encourage them to check out a Glock 34, Springfield XD Tactical / XDm, and a Smith and Wesson M&P Pro / L. All 3 are pretty popular (can buy parts, find people to work on them, etc.) and pretty reliable right out of the box.

If you're not sure about why you want a DA/SA pistol, I'd encourage you to shoot a pistol that isn't, to get a feel for it. While some people like the idea of DA/SA (I did with my first pistol, an HK USP), in competition it typically just makes life more difficult. If you're absolutely sure you want one, I'd check out a CZ or Sig and see if they're more to your liking. I always come back to what is common in competition, and what you find ergonomically and aesthetically pleasing, so don't be afraid to come to a match and check out what people are using.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    To keep in your price range I would look for a CPO Sig, yes its used, but its still a high quality firearm that has been looked over by a factory Sig armorer.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I will repeat the recommendation to check out the CZ-75B or 85B.

The CZ is used by more militaries and police departments around the world than any other handgun. Theyre Czech, but don't let that dissuade you. They are truly great handguns.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    +1,000,000 on CZ

I love the CZ 75 and shoot it the best out of any handgun I have had. I have had and have extensively shot multiple 9mm's; Glock 19, XD, Sig 228, HK P30, Barrett 92. With that I still like my CZ75 best. I traded my HK P30 for the SS CZ75 I have now.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I like having the option of SA/DA. I don't know my reasoning behind it. And I've fired some Glocks that I really liked the feel of, but not the astehics...

I traded/sold my DA/SA because I found myself shooting more striker-fired guns and wanted to standardize; it was what I was comfortable with and it made transitioning from a Glock to M&P and even a 1911 easier since they all had consistent trigger pulls vs the long/short of a DA/SA.

The CZ75BD is one of the best 9mm out there and well worth a look and the price is no reflection of quality and reliability. If it weren't for the simply idea of standardizing I would still have that CZ; in fact if I ever find a CZ75SA (single-action) it is coming home with me right then!

Right now, the Smith and Wesson M&P9 Pro 4.25" pistol I have is my favorite 9mm due more to ergonomics than anything else. It feels great and shoots great and would easily recommend that as an alternative but the CZ75 line of pistols is one of the shooting world's few remaining undiscovered treasures.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Did I say Glock 19? Just kidding.:D The Beretta 92FS is a very nice pistol. A little big to carry but doable. I carried one for years untill I switched to my Glock 19. Now If you want to shoot both you are welcome, come to Anderson and try them both.

Hey, thanks man! Bit of a drive for me (although i'm sure it'd be worth it). What's the biggest selling point of Glocks? It's like everyone and their mom has one. There's gotta be something i'm missing.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I traded/sold my DA/SA because I found myself shooting more striker-fired guns and wanted to standardize; it was what I was comfortable with and it made transitioning from a Glock to M&P and even a 1911 easier since they all had consistent trigger pulls vs the long/short of a DA/SA.

The CZ75BD is one of the best 9mm out there and well worth a look and the price is no reflection of quality and reliability. If it weren't for the simply idea of standardizing I would still have that CZ; in fact if I ever find a CZ75SA (single-action) it is coming home with me right then!

Right now, the Smith and Wesson M&P9 Pro 4.25" pistol I have is my favorite 9mm due more to ergonomics than anything else. It feels great and shoots great and would easily recommend that as an alternative but the CZ75 line of pistols is one of the shooting world's few remaining undiscovered treasures.

Really liking the CZ P01. Have you any experience with it?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Hey, thanks man! Bit of a drive for me (although i'm sure it'd be worth it). What's the biggest selling point of Glocks? It's like everyone and their mom has one. There's gotta be something i'm missing.

for me their reliability, simplicity and cost. The other great thing about Glock is that if you learn one Glock you have learned every Glock. All the triggers are the same, the mag release and slide release are all in the same spot and you can get a gun in every popular caliber (except .380) and never have to leave Glock's platform. It is the perfect standardizing weapon since from the smallest 9mm (G26) to the largest .45 (G21) they are all the same. Finding holsters, extra magazines and mag pouches to fit is easier than falling off a log; I'm surprised WalMart doesn't carry Glock mags they are so common.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    +1,000,000 on CZ

I love the CZ 75 and shoot it the best out of any handgun I have had. I have had and have extensively shot multiple 9mm's; Glock 19, XD, Sig 228, HK P30, Barrett 92. With that I still like my CZ75 best. I traded my HK P30 for the SS CZ75 I have now.

Just how are the triggers on CZ's? What's the travel, pull?

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    for me their reliability, simplicity and cost. The other great thing about Glock is that if you learn one Glock you have learned every Glock. All the triggers are the same, the mag release and slide release are all in the same spot and you can get a gun in every popular caliber (except .380) and never have to leave Glock's platform. It is the perfect standardizing weapon since from the smallest 9mm (G26) to the largest .45 (G21) they are all the same. Finding holsters, extra magazines and mag pouches to fit is easier than falling off a log; I'm surprised WalMart doesn't carry Glock mags they are so common.

I guess the homogeneity of Glocks IS a great feature. That's really neat, I didn't know...that said, if they ever made a pistol that I thought was even a slight looker, I'd grab it up:cool:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My vote is to look for a used or CPO (certified pre owned) Sig in any model you want.
    I carry a Sig 226 everyday and I'm a small guy 5'6" 145lbs. Some people claim a 226 is to big or to heavy but a good belt and holster goes a long way.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Its not bad if you train with it and get used to the DA pull on it. They also make a short reach trigger for it(not a short reset trigger) for those with smaller hands.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    CPOs are good to go I have a 220 and a 226 that were CPO that Sig went through and to this day I havent had a problem out of any of them! I would still look at the SP2022 though! Mine has really suprised me. I have one of the older ones with the Sig rail and one of the new ones with the E2 style grips,NS,and 1913 MILSPEC rail. I love me some Sigs!

Top Bottom