• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    HK USP in my price range?!:n00b: Seriously!? What do you think of CZ's? I was interested in Sigs, until I read a lot about long, gritty triggers. Do you have any experience with the 228 or 229?

CZs are great, but a little big for carry. They are good shooters.

I owned a Sig 228 and I kick myself every day for letting it go... I bought it used and shot it so much I ended up switching all of my handguns over to 9mm. To this day I can't understand what I was thinking when I sold it. :dunno:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    ;)
    CZs are great, but a little big for carry. They are good shooters.

I owned a Sig 228 and I kick myself every day for letting it go... I bought it used and shot it so much I ended up switching all of my handguns over to 9mm. To this day I can't understand what I was thinking when I sold it. :dunno:

Too big for YOU maybe. ;)

Different people view this differently. I carry either a Browning HiPower or a Beretta 92FS with extra mags without a problem.

But there is the CZ-75 compact, and the Beretta 92FS Compact if the full size pistols are too big.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've become a fan of the CZs lately. I have 3 right now, all from different manufacturers, but all sharing the same mags. The first was a Tanfoglio TZ75.88. Then came a CZ75 Compact and today I bought an AR-24K. I have not fired the AR yet, but love both the Tanfoglio and CZs. Both are accurate and easy to shoot quickly. Both are also very reliable too. I've only had the CZ Compact for about 6 weeks, but have put around 500 rounds through it so far without a single problem. The TZ is a full size, 16+1 with SA/DA and can have the safety engaged with the hammer up or down. The CZ is a compact with a 14+1 capacity and the safety only works in condition 1. The AR is a compact with a 13+1 capacity and the safety can be engaged in either condition 1 or 2 and can eject a live round with the safety on. All 3 are some of the most comfortable guns I've every held. This is compared to my 1911s, Hi-Power, Bersa 9UC, PF9 and Sig P6. They just melt into your hand when you pick one up.

I agree with jbombelli in that they are just fine for carry. My normal carry is a Kimber alloy framed compact 1911 but I switched to the CZ for about 4 weeks and never found it to be heavy at all. That's carrying in an inexpensive Fobus holster until I can get a Kramer Scabbard for the CZ Compact too. The Fobus holsters are not bad, but are not even close to how well a truly custom holster feels.

Last edited:

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Does anyone know ANYTHING about the CZ 75 P-01 (its the compact). I can't find any info on trigger travel OR pull...:dunno:

The PO1 is a NATO classified pistol and has a NATO stock number. The triggers on the CZs are good. Also it is fairly easy to do a trigger job on them. The DA pull is just like any other SA/DA. If you don’t like the DA pull then you can get one of the CZs with the external safety and carry it as you would a SA. If you want a safety in a compact frame get the CZ75 Compact. Want a compact frame but with a decocker get the CZ PO1 or CZ 75 D PCR Compact. I like the safety mainly because I like to rest my thumb on it while shooting and the decocker does not lend its self well to that.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've been eying some CZ's. Where are they made? Hows the trigger on the Phantom?

It's Czech made. I don't know the pull weight but it feels fine to me. I usually put over 100 rounds through it each outing and I don't feel any significant fatigue with it.

I shot a friends a few times and my mind was made up. I just love the way it shoots. Searched at the 1500 and found one. Took it home.

As for carry it isn't bad at all for me. If I CC it in the winter I usually go with a shoulder rig. Summer I just OC with a hip rig or IWB my PF9 to conceal.

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    ;)

Too big for YOU maybe. ;)

Different people view this differently. I carry either a Browning HiPower or a Beretta 92FS with extra mags without a problem.

But there is the CZ-75 compact, and the Beretta 92FS Compact if the full size pistols are too big.

:yesway: I wish I could comfortably conceal firearms of that size! I could very likely get away with a CZ-75 Compact, but I've never had the opportunity to try.

I'm kind of eying the Beretta PX4 Storm, but there are a few other acquisitions above it on my list.

Thanks everyone for posting. I'm really sold on the CZ P-01, it looks like it'll be just fine for my needs. June 3rd, 4th and 5th can't come soon enough!

It sounds like you're making a great choice!

Make sure to save an extra $100 so you can put 500 rounds of ammo through it on Day 1. :rockwoot:

And post pictures... :D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    CZs come from a lot of places. My CZ 75 Compact and CZ 97 are Czech built, the TZ 75 is Italian and the Armalite is Turkish. My favorite so far is the Armalite one, but, I have not had it to the range yet. Fit and finish are excellent in all of them, but the Armalite AR24 has a slight edge over the others.

Bob72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    92FS short trigger reset, 12 lb DAO pull with 4.5 pound SA pull
    Think that will meet your specs. Price is about in that range, on the lower end if you shop. It is very accurate in the hands of a good shooter and accurate enough for me (6 inch groups at 50 ft.) Having said all that, I sold it and bought a px4 Storm Compact, little smaller about $500. or less and as accurate as its bigger brothers. I love mine and Beretta is known for its quality.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    92FS short trigger reset, 12 lb DAO pull with 4.5 pound SA pull
    Think that will meet your specs. Price is about in that range, on the lower end if you shop. It is very accurate in the hands of a good shooter and accurate enough for me (6 inch groups at 50 ft.) Having said all that, I sold it and bought a px4 Storm Compact, little smaller about $500. or less and as accurate as its bigger brothers. I love mine and Beretta is known for its quality.

Certainly, they make pieces of art. I think my next pistol WILL be either an M9 (if they aren't too pricey) or a 92FS.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    G19, G26 or M&P9/9c would be my choices if I were looking.

Don't know of any DA/SA 9mm's I'd chose for carry.

I'd probably look at a Ruger SR9c.

Top Bottom