• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Looking at a Ruger 5" stainless SR1911 in 45acp or Springfield 1911 Garrison .45 ACP Stainless. Both are used and very close to the same price. Which would be the best one to buy. They both feel close but I don't know much about them. I carry a Colt Rail gun worked on by Allen and a Colt done by DSL Sports.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I'm a fan of Springfield's 1911's and I prefer forged frames over cast which IIRC the Ruger is made with a cast frame. So my vote is for the Garrison, but if you can't decide and can afford it buy both! :D

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    My first 1911 was a Springfield 32 years ago. Fed everything .when I moved back and joined a Municipal PD they preferred a DA so I sold it for an Sig 220 and regretted it. Loved the Sig but missed the SA.

I was out of 1911’s until 2017 I got a Colt Competition great gun then last year I picked up a Springfield Operator love it.

So my vote is for the Springfield from my experience. I have shot a few Rugers and they are decent but I like the forged frames over the cast stuff. Just me!

Good luck!

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The Garrison is set up exactly how I like a 1911: GI guide rod, non-ambi safety, Novak sights, and no forward serrations. I actually spent time and money to modify my "Loaded" model to that configuration (although I'm stuck with the serrations on the front of the slide). Function-wise, my Loaded has been excellent and I'd highly recommend a Springfield 1911.

I used to be a huge Ruger fanboy, but have soured on them a bit in the last couple of years. The last couple of Ruger's that I've bought (to be fair, not 1911s) had some issues, and their customer service wasn't overly helpful when I called them. Their prices have also increased more than their competitors in the past few years, which has all helped push me in other directions.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    He could buy both for what that GC cost.
    I would pick the Ruger. I've never heard of a Ruger breaking a frame or slide or anything.
    Or a Springfield for that matter.
    Was Ruger or Springfield even building 1911's during the first release of the Delta 10mm Elites/
    Colt has been building 1911's a long long time.
    I own a second gen Delta and it has had no issues, and I will say that every pic ive ever seen of a cracked 1911 frame, its been after a gunsmith peened and or tightened up the slide rails.
    I will also add that buying a clean vintage Colt is also an investment that has been making money for decades now. Ruger and Springfield, not so much.

How many Colt 1911's are around this globe compared to Ruger and Springfield 1911's?

edit,
    Ruger started building then in 2011
    1985, Springfield released their 1911, the 1911-A1. Early guns were exact copies of standard issue 1911s from earlier years.

Theres that Mil-Spec again...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm pretty sure ChurchMouse would have said Springfield.
    LOL...
    We had more than one conversation in his little garage over 1911's.
    I would hand him a old 70 Series G C and he would finger it, drop the hammer a few times, curse Colt and me, and hand it back. Then he would curse 1st gen Pythons...

You are right, He would have chose Springfield because, they fit in Tims gun budget.

I miss our arguments, I mean conversations.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Was Ruger or Springfield even building 1911's during the first release of the Delta 10mm Elites/
    Colt has been building 1911's a long long time.
    I own a second gen Delta and it has had no issues, and I will say that every pic ive ever seen of a cracked 1911 frame, its been after a gunsmith peened and or tightened up the slide rails.
    I will also add that buying a clean vintage Colt is also an investment that has been making money for decades now. Ruger and Springfield, not so much.

How many Colt 1911's are around this globe compared to Ruger and Springfield 1911's?

edit,
    Ruger started building then in 2011
    1985, Springfield released their 1911, the 1911-A1. Early guns were exact copies of standard issue 1911s from earlier years.

Theres that Mil-Spec again...
    Colt has turned out their share of junk as well over the years. Not saying all Colts or current Colts are bad.

That said, I agree, there seems to be a readiness for folks to break out their wallet for a Colt. I don't understand it, but it definitely exists.

I owned a late 80's/early 90's snake gun that I bought new (that I wish I still had only to sell it at today's $$$). That thing was either made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon and I parted ways with it rather quickly.

I've not been a 1911 guy as I had a bad experience with a so called gunsmith built 1911 in that same timeframe (late 80's early 90's). If I were to pick up a 1911, I can't say it would be a Colt, because the name alone does nothing for me. That said, CZ owns them now, so maybe something will come of that.

Top Bottom