• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    If you take Barrett's Long Range Basics class I think you shoot out to around 2000 yards. They rent rifles.

TDI in Ohio has a Precision Rifle class that shoots out to 400 yards.

Tactical Response in Tennessee has a Precision Rifle class that shoots out to 700 yards.

There are others around the country, but these are the programs I am most familiar with.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Don't ignore Appleseed. Granted, most of the actual shooting is 25yd range, but the skills translate to centerfire nicely. This will take you out to 500yd effectiveness. There are four shoots in Indiana this weekend; though Cloverdale is sold out, Lafayette, Wabash, and Evansville have room on the line, and Riley has a shoot next weekend. It's a bargain at $70 for both days, too.

PM either Hawkhavn, Usafe7ret, Techres, or me, or go to appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule for more info. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Don't ignore Appleseed. Granted, most of the actual shooting is 25yd range, but the skills translate to centerfire nicely. This will take you out to 500yd effectiveness. There are four shoots in Indiana this weekend; though Cloverdale is sold out, Lafayette, Wabash, and Evansville have room on the line, and Riley has a shoot next weekend. It's a bargain at $70 for both days, too.

PM either Hawkhavn, Usafe7ret, Techres, or me, or go to appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule for more info. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

I have to agree with this statement. What you will do as an experienced shooter at an Appleseed is reinforce the basics. This will serve as a basis for any other formal training that you may continue on with. I understand that an Appleseed shoot may not be the type of course you are looking for but what you learn at an Appleseed will help you to better learn from any other type of long range shooting you decide to go with. That way you will have the basics down and ready to make the most of the info given rather than trying to overcome some basic issues during your high priced long range course.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would definitely consider completing an Appleseed event before (not instead of) paying big money for a more purpose-driven precision rifle shooting class.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you take Barrett's Long Range Basics class I think you shoot out to around 2000 yards. They rent rifles.

TDI in Ohio has a Precision Rifle class that shoots out to 400 yards.

Tactical Response in Tennessee has a Precision Rifle class that shoots out to 700 yards.

There are others around the country, but these are the programs I am most familiar with.

I don't seem to be able to google and find "TDI in Ohio" is this an abrev. for something?

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville

I took my 13 year old son to this class. At the end I was shooting my FN .308 into a 4" circle at 500 yards. My son was shooting his Remington LTR .223 into a 8" oblong circle at the same distance, say 6 x 8 area. Before the class my 13 year old could not even hit the target at 100 yards.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Appleseed is a good way to learn the basics of rifle shooting.

Another way familiar to thousands of Junior shooters is small bore target rifle. The saying, "that the road to 1000 yard accuracy starts at 50 feet" is as true today as it was 75 years ago. Indoor 50 foot and outdoor 50 and 100 yard matches are held all over, every weekend, somewhere. Smallbore prone at 100 yards is every bit as challenging as full bore at 1000 yards. Cheaper too..

The $600 Kimber 82 Government available from the CMP is a great starter rifle for prone or position smallbore.

If you only want to shoot centerfire rifles, there are mid range matches held frequently around the area. Hitting the center of the 300, 500, and 600 yard target is great practice for the move to 1000 yards.

Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association - Home

www.odcmp.org

CIHPRS Home The next 1000 yard match is April 26.

Regards

Last edited:
    Top Bottom