• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Long range is defined as 800 yards and greater, so my answer to your question reflects that.

The 338 is frequently used by Military snipers, but you rarely see it on the target firing line. The 300 Win Mag has been used a lot with 190's at long range, but is not fun to shoot. Lots of guys have developed serious flinches shooting this cartridge.

And if you can't read the wind at 1000 yards, none of the magnums will perform better than any other cartridge.

Heck, the Army Markmanship Unit shoots M16's and 90 grain bullets at 1000 yards in one of the long range Camp Perry matches. For them, that is the best, if they want to win the service rifle trophy. Other unit members shoot 6.5-284 bolt guns. Others are shooting 6mmXC. I don't think they are shooting 300 Win Mag anymore.

A 30 inch long, 13 twist Kreiger barreled bolt gun in 308 is plenty accurate with 155 Palma bullets at 2950 fps. Not too expensive to load either. If my son asked me your question, this is what I would build for him to get started. Or maybe an M1A with 175 Sierra's.

Other choices are 260, 6.5 Creedmore, 6mm XC, 6mm AR Turbo, and some others that don't come to mind right now. The key to accuracy at long range is a good barrel, a well built rifle, meticulous reloading of your chosen cartridge, and learning to read conditions. The bullet must be supersonic as it goes through the target and must be running at the same speed as the other bullets in your group.

I've been shooting long range for quite a while, and I don't know one "best" cartridge. It seems every year though, someone comes out with the greatest, best ever, cartridge for long range.

Good luck in your quest.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    What purpose,and how long range?
    For less than 800 yards i would go 270 Winchester.Flat trajectory,plenty enough power to kill anything :)
    If you are talking 1000+yards then it is going to have to be something like others have said 338 would be good.
    There is also 7.62x54r,cheap to shoot...you can get 440 rounds for the price of 5 rounds of 338,or a few boxes of 270.
    You will notice I did not mention the .308. Personally i like the 270WIN,others may disagree.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would like to get a gun that i can reload for. i swear this reloading is addiction at first i was reloading for guns i own now im trying to pick a gun to buy to reload for

i would love to enter long range shooting competitions but doubt i have the knowlege to be competive but it would still be fun and edcational and i figure if i enter you dont learn by winning you learn by losing

i would just like to pick a caliber that would be best for say 600-1000 yds i thing if i get my 300wby right it woud atleast be a starting point i was just curious to you guys opinion

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think I remember from your previous posts that you load for 243. If you have a rifle in that caliber, it is not a bad choice for 600 to 1000 yards with the heaviest match grade bullet in the caliber.

I didn't mean to complicate things with my previous post. There just is no ONE right answer for everybody.

If you only have a scoped rifle, you can shoot it in "F Class" in 600 yard competitions. Your 243 will hold its own while you learn...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I can't believe that nobody mentioned the 6.5x284. It is one of the most winningest cartridges for long range shooting on the market today. Available for factory and custom F Class guns, available in factory loads too. Want to go 1000 yards, it is one of the best choices without going into the big magnum rounds.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ya the only high power rifles i have are a 243 prohunter 700bdl 7mm rem mag and a markv weatherby the weatherby was more accurate to begin with than the 243 but i havent tried to work a load for it yet but i will as soon as i get the 243 right. andto be honest i really dont like the 700 but ill work a load for it more just to pratice. do you have a link for these competitions

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I can't believe that nobody mentioned the 6.5x284. It is one of the most winningest cartridges for long range shooting on the market today. Available for factory and custom F Class guns, available in factory loads too. Want to go 1000 yards, it is one of the best choices without going into the big magnum rounds.
    Very true the 6.5x.284 is dead nuts accurate. I dont do much long range shooting but have a couple of friends that do and they have a on going argument between the 6mmBr and 6mmPPC.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Heck, the Army Markmanship Unit shoots M16's and 90 grain bullets at 1000 yards in one of the long range Camp Perry matches. For them, that is the best, if they want to win the service rifle trophy. Other unit members shoot 6.5-284 bolt guns. Others are shooting 6mmXC. I don't think they are shooting 300 Win Mag anymore.

6.5-284 were mentioned earlier does this gun have to be custom made ive never heard of it

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't know of any 6.5-284 factory rifles. I think they are all custom made. (I have often wondered if a 260 could be rechambered to 6.5-284)

The Rem 260 shoots the same bullet as the 6.5-284 (142 Sierra) at about 200 fps less velocity. The 260 is available in factory rifles.

3 years ago I and another shooter were being coached by (then) SSGT Norm Anderson of the USAMU on the 1000 yard line. The other guy was shooting a 6.5-284 and I was shooting my custom built Model 70 in 260 Rem with 142's.

To make a long story short, once he got us married up, there was no difference in wind corrections between the two rifles.

The 260 is an excellent choice, IMO.

But, again, your 243 will serve you well also at 600 yards.

CIHPRS Home

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am with smokingman. .270 is one of the most underrated rounds used today. Flat shooting, good energy and velocity. There is nothing in North America (outside of maybe Polar, Kodiak, or a big Griz) that can not be brought down with this round. Plus it is easy on your shoulder.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The Savage F-Class rifle should be real popular with the superb Savage barrels, general excellent QC, and their accu-trigger.

I can't think where I have ever seen them on the firing line though. Its a shame, it is an excellent rifle, especially for the new shooter on a budget.

If I got one, I would convert it to iron sights. I don't care to shoot with a scope, but that is just me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom