• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I've got a glock 34. There is a live round that tried to feed, but is now wedged between the barrel and the breech face. The slide is locked closed when the gun is assembled. Fortunately, I was able to take the slide off and remove the striker. However, when peering at the wedged round it almost looks like a high primer sitting flush against the breech face. This makes me leery of smacking the gun.

This is a reload, and it was case gauged, and inspected prior to shooting. This is the third time this has happened in recent weeks, but the first time I was not able to remove it myself. Evidently my case gauge isn't accurate enough. Perhaps I just need to use the barrel for the gauge...

I need assistance getting the round removed and am on the North side of Indy in Carmel. Suggestions on where to take it?

Thanks!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've used the edge of a carpeted wood work bench to drive the slide back on many a stuck round rig (worked at a shop with a range).
    Doesn't take much to pop it free.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Yeah. Unfortunately, I think there is either a high primer causing the jam or perhaps a primer from the previous round wedged against the breech face. Little nervous that the force could ignite the primer and force the round through....

photo (4).JPG

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I can get the slide off, and I can remove the slide cap, and thus the striker and extractor as well. However, the wedge is against the breech face and the barrel won't move, and is stuck in the slide. If you look at the picture (which is a bit crappy), you can see something between the breech face and case rim.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I can get the slide off, and I can remove the slide cap, and thus the striker and extractor as well. However, the wedge is against the breech face and the barrel won't move, and is stuck in the slide. If you look at the picture (which is a bit crappy), you can see something between the breech face and case rim.
    Remover the extractor*, remove barrel, and tap the round out with a squib rod. My prediction is that you OAL is too long. Once you get the round out, you'll likely see marks from the rifling on the projectile.

For future reference, your barrel makes a great case gauge.

*http://www.glockmeister.com/FiringPinReplacement.asp

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    You're going to have to get the barrel out one way or there other. If you can get the extractor out, then do so. But if you can or cant, support the slide in a vise (or on the edge of a bench if you don't have a vise), make sure it has something to stop a discharge (bucket of sand), and drive the barrel out with a non-marring drift.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Additional safety warning: Don't stand in front of the barrel when tapping with a squib rod. Surely someone else remembers, I think it was at Atlanta, a benchrest shooters wife was helping clear a stuck round. She was leaning against a cleaning rod and something happened and the round fired. You can imagine the rest, bottom line, she died. Plan for the worst, a hole in the garage wall beats a hole in you.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I don't think a squib rod will help being that the round has not even fired.
    I would try to knock the barrel straight down out of the slide.

I'm thinking out loud here... put the slide in a vice (right side up) pointed in a safe direction and tap the top of the barrel straight down until it comes out of the slide.
    I'd spray it down with some oil too so it slips easier.
    I doubt the primer will go off since it's not being struck in the usual way, but you never know.

For safety, soak the slide in penetrating oil or water for a day or so.
    If the primer is loose, it may let some oil/water in and decrease the chances of the round going off...??

Thoughts?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Muzzle down. If a round goes off, better to be caught in a bucket of sand than exit your roof and/or head. If it goes off pointed down, leg wounds are messy, but not as messy as brain matter.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What am I missing here?

Bonk the slide near the muzzle driving it backwards so the extractor yanks the round from the chamber.

If the striker is out but the extractor functional.... I would think this should have been resolved rather quickly if the area permitted it (nobody around, garage with a bench........in case the worst happened the bullet would go downward and be contained).

Last edited:

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Thanks Hookeye. I'm sure I can get it out, but I'll need to head back to the range where I'm comfortable with a possible discharge. I'd like to stay married.

It is lodged pretty good, but I didn't really have any tools with me yesterday. I was hoping I could take it somewhere close to home (Carmel), and avoid a trip back over to MCFG. I actually called the range up in Westfield to ask if I could use the range to dislodge the round. They said no and gave me the number of a gunsmith lol.

As far as the high primer... If you look at the picture you'll see what looks like a primer extruded from the case and wedged against the breech face. I have no idea how or why, but it's what I was referring to.

I've reloaded over a thousand rounds through this glock. In the past few weeks I've had two jams, but nothing this serious. Obviously something is going on. Maybe the brass is slightly "glocked", or my seating die is not consistent? As I said, it fits in the case gauge just fine. Frustrating.

Thanks all

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks Hookeye. I'm sure I can get it out, but I'll need to head back to the range where I'm comfortable with a possible discharge. I'd like to stay married.

I know nothing about Glocks, but from an outsider's perspective, it sounds like it might be difficult to control the direction of a discharge in this situation. If there is any risk of discharge whatsoever, I would think it would be better to risk your personal property before the life of another shooter at the range.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    point in a safe direction, hold the slide firmly by one hand, hit the back of the frame/grip solidly with the web of your other hand.

-rvb

edit:
    Yeah. Unfortunately, I think there is either a high primer causing the jam or perhaps a primer from the previous round wedged against the breech face. Little nervous that the force could ignite the primer and force the round through....

View attachment 28376

so you got the slide off (w/o pulling the trigger?)? take a mallet and tap the barrel hood DOWN from the top of the slide to unlock it, then the barrel should be able to be removed and you can get the round out...

-rvb

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Put the front sight/top of slide against the edge of a bench and push down. Make sure the barrel is not touching the bench. Also make sure your feet are not directly under the muzzle.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    photo (6).JPG
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm posting a pic of the round that I removed. You can see what I was talking about with the primer being extruded and wedge. Thus my reluctance to try the traditional methods of clearing the round. I actually was able to place the slide flat, pointed downrange and use a nylon punch to gently tap the barrel down until it was freed.

Turns out this was factory ammo. It's Winchester. I measured it. It's the same widths as some Remington factory ammo I have. Measured the crimp, the middle and the base. It's a new KKM.

Thoughts on reasons?

Glock 34
    KKM barrel

Last edited:

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Can't tell from the pic, but is it already struck on the primer? If the primer hole is blocked, the primer comp could have burned but not had anywhere to go, and pushed the primer out.

Top Bottom