• Status
    Not open for further replies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, my little girl (3 yrs old) has an unusual attachment to a little wooden totem pole that my in-laws brought back from Alaska. She calls it "Mrs. Soccer" (not sure of spelling, but that's what it sounds like), and has conversations with it. No big deal, right? Just an active imagination?

Well, lately she is constantly saying she misses the totem. Then, she started yesterday saying the totem makes noises that hurt her ears, but she still misses him/her.

Today, she fell asleep, so my wife hid the totem in a cabinet. When my girl woke up, she went STRAIGHT to that cabinet (it is not one she has ANYTHING else inside of) and got her totem. Said "I hear you!" and opened the door. Freaked my wife right out.

I'm not a superstitious person. I find most paranormal stuff easily explained away, or discounted as an active imagination. My wife on the other hand.... She is not a happy camper right now.

If I pitch the thing, my girl will be super sad. She LOVES this thing. It might be going back to my in-laws for a while.

Here is a pic of the thing:
    picture.php

Any totem experts here?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Not to freak you out but single animal totem poles from Alaska are usually to honor the dead. Check for a compartment in the back.

Types of Totem Poles

Crest Totem Poles: Usually part of a house, they portray a family's ancestry and the emblems of its clan.
    Story-telling Totem Poles: The most common type, these are made for a wedding, to presere history or to ridicule bad debtors.
    Mortuary Totem Poles: These totem poles are made to honor the dead. Cremation ashes are often kept in a compartment in the back. A single figure represents the deceased person or their clan.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    My wife would have me out back with a chainsaw. :):

I'd try a couple more hide and seeks with video. Maybe there's something to it. Definitely is intriguing.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No compartment. I had to actually glue/nail the base back on when she dropped it, so got a good look. It's just a cheap souvenir. Came with a little card saying it was a "raven".

Definitely going to have some chats with my girl. Imaginary friends don't bother me one bit (I had some as a kid). But, if there is anything too "spooky" going down, this thing is off to the burn barrel. Daddy "ain't got time fo dat."

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I am a firm believer in "the supernatural".

I believe that "spirits" can be attached to items.

I also believe that those of us who are much younger - and haven't had our sensitivity quenched by the world are indeed more "in tune" with the supernatural / spiritual realm.

If this were me and MY house - I'd burn it.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ravens in Alaskan culture stand for particular clans. Everyone is either of the Eagle or Raven clan with sub clans being carved directly below (beaver, frog, fox etc) Ravens have straight beaks where as eagles have curved. Single animal totems are usually representative of a single member of a particular clan. As yours is so small i wouldn't sweat it as meaning anything unless you found an ash compartment. Those are usually significantly larger though.

dt420

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    NW
    This reminds me of the Brady Bunch when they went to Hawaii. I suggest you do not go surfing anytime soon.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    If you burn it, you may open up a spiritual pandoras box. Just sayin'.

It would make a most excellent target.

Personally, I'd give it to someone else and let them deal with it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Our son was seeing some **** before we moved from our old house. it's pretty well known that kids are more open to paranormal stuff than we are.

I would take it somewhere in the woods and leave it.

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    If my kid said it "hurt" their ears i would burn it. when i moved into my current home built in26, there was a mirror in the hallway that was attached to the wall permanently. for a few yrs my wife and friends and kids would see and hear and feel things and would see a woman standing in the hallway looking into the mirror. there is also a depression in the floir in front of where it was. one day i decided to move the mirror and broke it. tossed it out, and nobody has seen or heard or felt anything since that day. the thing is if your kid even thinks or pretends that this thing is hurting her then destroy it right now.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So yeah. Here's the deal. I've been apart of missionary work and seen this sort of thing before.
    Don't just throw it away for the next person to pick it up.
    BURN IT. NOW.
    Not next week. Not tomorrow. Not five minutes from now. Right friggen now.
    Seriously.
    Then get some prayer.
    If you're willing I can get you a list of ministers to talk to or you can PM me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom