• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    So I noticed a few areas of rust on my truck, that I really want/need to address. I have absolutely no body experience whatsoever, and have not had much luck finding out information that would allow me to make a confident/ cut&dry decision on how to tackle this. So... I turn to you fellow hoosiers.

1. For you paint/body people out there, what would your advice be to go about doing a DIY repair on this.... and

2. I am considering the option of getting the rockers/fenders line-x'd... is there anyone out there who has had this done before? What is your experience, and do you have any reccomendations on which line x dealer to use? I'm near Valparaiso, IN but am willing to drive the distance if it means better quality work. I've see lots of trucks done, and so far it appears that line x is the best product. Any good dealer experience in IN?

( side note: I called line x of omaha, NE as they are supposed to be the "rocker panel" line x pros.. and they wanted $1500 just for plain black and they would need my truck for 1 week) yikes!

I know this is a gun forum, but any input is greatly appreciated.

GEDC2028.jpg

GEDC2041.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I just long for the days of yester-year when boys carried sling-shots, girls had bows in their hair, stockings to their knees, and vacuum tubes were amazing.

Hadn't seen that tipsheet. I'll check it out. thanks.

Sorry, purple was implied on that, just messin' with ya... the Hootus story went around a few years ago and recirculates every once-in-a-while. I can see how some people miss even the most epic things like this. I'm certain I've missed things that have been circulating the web for a while.

If you'll note, that thread is about 13 years old... it's been around a while

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Just use the Dupont Roller with Kevlar.... Its easy. If ya want buy the stuff and some beers and I will do it on a day off

Call me slow, but I'm not seeing what you are talking about. have you used this stuff before?

I may take you up on that offer, as it sounds like a hootus could be in jeopardy.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: That hootus thread is BACK!

Definitely cheaper to do it yourself. I thought about it on my last truck, but never got around to it.

If you can get he the surface pretty smooth, another option is PlastiDip. It will wear more than bedliner, but looks more like paint. Peals off, too.

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: That hootus thread is BACK!

Definitely cheaper to do it yourself. I thought about it on my last truck, but never got around to it.

If you can get he the surface pretty smooth, another option is PlastiDip. It will wear more than bedliner, but looks more like paint. Peals off, too.

Yeah I've used the plati-dip stuff before for other things, but I think I need to atleast stop the rust first..hmmmm what to do what to do.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For a DIY on that I would clean the rust the best I could and use a rust converter or encapsulator. Then you can mask off and use whatever bed liner type material you want. Whatever you do make sure to rust proof the backside of the panels. Especially the rockers, cab corners, bottoms of doors and above rear wheels. Don't take it to ziebart, I've seen what they call 'rust proofing'. We use a waxy oily coating that comes in spray cans, Eastwood sells some stuff that's pretty good. The key is to get it all over the inside and let it drip all over the place, it runs everywhere.

Jon

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I haven't done any bed liner on truck panels but I did a golf cart body in Herculiner. It is really easy to do yourself but I wouldn't recommend the Herculiner kits unless you're willing to put it on pretty thick. I used about a gallon and need to go over the cart again. It looked fine when it was wet but thinned out a bunch when it dried. If you do it yourself, you've got to sand, sand again, and when you think you've sanded enough...do it again. Most people that have problems with the DIY kits have problems because they didn't sand enough or prep properly. Also make sure that you tape off anything you don't want covered in bed liner. It is easy to make a mess with that stuff.

From the rust pics, it doesn't look that bad. It should be easy enough to sand down and use a good primer/converter/encapsulator.

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    I haven't done any bed liner on truck panels but I did a golf cart body in Herculiner. It is really easy to do yourself but I wouldn't recommend the Herculiner kits unless you're willing to put it on pretty thick. I used about a gallon and need to go over the cart again. It looked fine when it was wet but thinned out a bunch when it dried. If you do it yourself, you've got to sand, sand again, and when you think you've sanded enough...do it again. Most people that have problems with the DIY kits have problems because they didn't sand enough or prep properly. Also make sure that you tape off anything you don't want covered in bed liner. It is easy to make a mess with that stuff.

From the rust pics, it doesn't look that bad. It should be easy enough to sand down and use a good primer/converter/encapsulator.

Thanks for the info! I may do this.. so when you applied the herculiner, and it dried and looked to thin, did you have to sand again on top of the first layer of herculiner or can you just keep putting the coats on? And I have a sand blaster, would that be a better option to use? Once you finished sanding and sanding, and sanding, what did you use to clean/prep the surface ?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I put the 2nd coat on fairly thick but the stuff settles some and it was getting dark so I couldn't quite tell how much it was settling. The instructions say to wait until it is no longer tacky (1-4 hours) before applying the 2nd coat (I'd probably try for a 3rd coat if possible). For what I've got to touch up, I'll just have to give it a light sand, clean, and apply more where it is too thin. I've heard of some people using sandblasters but that almost seems like overkill. It doesn't need to go to bare metal, just a good scuff. I used 60 grit (cart had automotive paint on it prior to Herculiner) and didn't need much pressure to get it sanded/scuffed enough. After sanding the cart, I used some acetone (instructions say xylene/xylol, acetone, or MEK for prep, add a scraper to the acetone and I used that for cleanup on the garage floor (I'd put plastic sheet or a tarp down next time as it can throw some grit off the roller).

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    ( side note: I called line x of omaha, NE as they are supposed to be the "rocker panel" line x pros.. and they wanted $1500 just for plain black and they would need my truck for 1 week) yikes!

I had mine done a Ziebart in Lafayette. Can't remember how much, it was about 3 years back, but it wasn't no $1500, and they only had my truck overnight.

rdbs505

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    I had mine done a Ziebart in Lafayette. Can't remember how much, it was about 3 years back, but it wasn't no $1500, and they only had my truck overnight.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pic, that looks really good. Only thing is, the website says they now use Rhino-liner.. which from what I've read has been much less desired than the line-x. Either way I'll consider them as an option. Right now I just want to get this sealed up to limp it through till next spring/summer.. when maybe if all else fails I'll try to put my own liner on using maybe the raptor liner or some other brand I research.

Is that a recent pic of the truck, how is it looking these days? Issues?

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Just Line X the whole thing and be done with it:
    2012-04-25_16-23-34_660.jpg

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    lol... I wonder how much heavier that would make the truck..? The quote I got for just the rockers was 1500.. I'd hate to see the tab for that project.

That's actually my truck. Line X added about 150lbs according to the shop who sprayed it.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    get the rust fixed before having it sprayed, it WILL continue to rust under the lining if not repaired/treated, we do rhino linings at our shop and we sprayed our f250 shop truck top to bottom, inside and out, rust is still bubbling under the rhino and will eventually pop some off i'm sure. just a heads up.

Top Bottom