• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why do you think you need a light on your gun? I look at a light as a target at night or dark areas. You have a light on your pistol, you are using it, where is your body? Light on long gun, most are to the left a very few to the right side. Very few bad guys are using a light. Lights show where you are as a target! Just my thoughts from being shot at and shoting back in my youth!

If you use a light is on a pistol or long gun?
    I look at a light as a way to follow through on Rule #4 so I do not shoot people that do not need to be shot.

If you have a light on your gun or in your hand your body will be behind the light.

I don't care if bad guys are not using lights. I am not a bad guy and do not want to be sent to prison for acting like a bad guy. I train so I do not fight. I train so I learn how to maximize the use of the light.

Just because you have a light does not mean that one must turn it on.

You are a target. Best to understand cover, optimally best not to fight.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I look at a light as a way to follow through on Rule #4 so I do not shoot people that do not need to be shot.

You are a target. Best to understand cover, optimally best not to fight.

There is no fog of war defense in a civil court or your conscious even if you somehow make it through criminal court without a conviction. Positive ID is vital beyond words.

Yes yes and yes.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Most trainers never teach how to use a flashlight, they teach assuming you use a WML. I would bet that a large percent of the younger people that have "Light Training" have never been shown how to hold a flashlight let alone how to use it. The odds are your EDC will not have a light on it. I know a lot of friends that carry a bright flashlight in a pocket with the EDC. They have no clue to the use of the flashlight after taking training in light use.
    Honestly i don't have to hold a light and shoot, because i can and will drop the handheld and use the wml of a threat is identified. Or with the firearm at low ready use the splash of the light to search without sweeping.

The best tactics are always fundamental tactics. A proper wml doesn't change the way you handle the firearm that it is mounted to. If anything wml's reduce split times on pistols, and we're going to see every gun in uspsa with wml this year with the rule change. My edc will have a wml as soon as i get the holster in. I've realized after doing some training that i spend most of my vulnerable time outside in the dark.

Indiana has a lot of high level low light training available. Classes available at mtac have some of the best trainers in the world.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Most trainers never teach how to use a flashlight, they teach assuming you use a WML. I would bet that a large percent of the younger people that have "Light Training" have never been shown how to hold a flashlight let alone how to use it. The odds are your EDC will not have a light on it. I know a lot of friends that carry a bright flashlight in a pocket with the EDC. They have no clue to the use of the flashlight after taking training in light use.
    Who doesn't instruct on the flashlight? Everyone who has turned on a flashlight has a bloody technique. What happened to the "light is my weapon" nonsense that was so popular just a few years ago?

Who is not training on this?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    "But I have a light in my hands, how can I ever possibly shoot a hand gun while holding a light?"

Rubbish with the right gear and training. Lonehoosier demonstrates one way.

The Thyrm Switchback 2.0 finger loop / pocket hook is another inexpensive piece of kit that goes a LONG way towards a 2-handed firing grip on a hand gun.

Raven Concealment used to make one, too. https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/raven-concealment-surefire-p-and-g-series-pocket-clip/ I checked a few websites - all were OOS. Perhaps they've quit making them?

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't read all 6 pages of this purse-swinging thread, but I've skimmed through it, and I haven't seen this mentioned.

My friends and I have been known to be arses to each other and pull different small pranks. When I get a new light (or any other accessory), one of my favorites is to say "check out this thing I just bought" and turn it on and shine it directly in their eyes. Their immediate reaction, without exception, is to close their eyes, turn their head, and turn their palm to the light to block it.

That's a basic human reaction to a bright light, and one that I hope I can use to my advantage should the need arise. Having that kind of device mounted to my defensive firearms just makes sense, whether it's used for identification or temporary disablement of a potential target.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Can't shoot what you can't identify. Would be tough to justify shooting at shadows and noises in the middle of the night.

Light on left or right side doesn't make much of a difference in my experience but plenty of right-handed shooters are running lights on the right side + using a pressure pad.

I use lights on both pistols and long guns.

Bad guys don't have to use lights because they're less concerned with shooting things they shouldn't shoot.
    Light at the other end of the hallway of the house I have just broken into, Bad. Light illuminates bayonet on the end of a AK 74 clone, very very Bad.
    At this point it becomes a Darwinian test involving reasoning and ballistics.

MH

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Light at the other end of the hallway of the house I have just broken into, Bad. Light illuminates bayonet on the end of a AK 74 clone, very very Bad.
    At this point it becomes a Darwinian test involving reasoning and ballistics.

MH
    Light on your rifle illuminates Mosin bayonet as the Russian Red Army Choir sings 'Sweet Home Alabama'. 7.62R punches through the air as you charge the enemy wearing a ushanka

Last edited:

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I figure a WML is like car headlights, I'm gonna flip it on when needed. Headed down the hallway? No. Come around the corner and see a shadowy figure? YEP.

Top Bottom