• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Why do you think you need a light on your gun? I look at a light as a target at night or dark areas. You have a light on your pistol, you are using it, where is your body? Light on long gun, most are to the left a very few to the right side. Very few bad guys are using a light. Lights show where you are as a target! Just my thoughts from being shot at and shoting back in my youth!

If you use a light is on a pistol or long gun?

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Can't shoot what you can't identify. Would be tough to justify shooting at shadows and noises in the middle of the night.

Light on left or right side doesn't make much of a difference in my experience but plenty of right-handed shooters are running lights on the right side + using a pressure pad.

I use lights on both pistols and long guns.

Bad guys don't have to use lights because they're less concerned with shooting things they shouldn't shoot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If the light is bright enough and the bad guy is close he gets blinded by it. Try it on yourself. Let the house get totally dark get a light with at least 600 lumens have someone shine it at you. Tell us if you can see anything and how long it took you to recover.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    And if I click my light a second time it strobes.
    Not sure if youve actually tried that in a totally dark place but it personally stuns myself even being behind the light lol.

Light is the quickest way to identify a potential threat in the dark, unless you own night vision goggles, which would be pretty friggin sweet.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have a light that can actually induce seizure in alot of people because it's so bright and the frequency at which it strobes. It definitely gives you a 5 second or so period where 90% of people will freeze due to autonomic responses. It's similar to a flash bang. Those few presious seconds can easily become the difference between life and death. When combined with laser you can shoot off center and if intruder is shooting at the light they at best will hit your hand but in a quick tense situation like that, it is very unlikely that they would even hit anything. You are correct in some respects that lights can do more harm than good but if it's the correct light that is bright enough to cause temporary blindness, seizures, freezing, panic .. all those can be used to your advantage if you train for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    WHY NOT????

Lights on pistols, PCCs, and rifles here. None interfere with daytime range use, and it's nice to know they are there for low light situations as well, whether it's illuminating a trail in front of me or responding to a bump in the night somewhere in my house. There are plenty of useful tactics and maneuvers for utilizing a WML that will disorient a bad guy instead of painting a target on you.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    With all this discussion of strobes maybe we should start a thread for discussion of strobes in defensive use. Personally I avoid them completely. I like to keep it simple. IMO "on" and "off" should be the only modes that can be activated by a normal press of the button. No high/low modes that can be activated by a simple quick button press. Same with strobes, don't mind the capability I guess but I don't want it getting in the way of "on"/"off".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    of the HD guns log and short have a light of some kind on them.

Why, because I practice with them when I can.
    I have little fear of being outed because of my lights.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Cuz I've walked through my home at night and not been able to see a darn thing. I first learned to appreciate what a light can do when living with my kid brother. Sometimes he'd have friends come and go late at night...I walked around one night and realized I wouldn't be able to tell the different between an intruder and one of his idiot friends.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    All my SBRs have lights on them.
    Why?
    Because those are my at home, defense guns and I want to know what I am about to shoot.
    The few seconds that the light gives you by disorienting the target can be the difference between you getting off a shot or 2 and your target shooting you.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Lights, and knowing how (and how not) to use them are paramount.

Not 100% necessary, IMO - but can absolutely be a great idea. Gotta know how to utilize them.

And if you don't have a WML, you need a hand held light.

And you need a hand held light even if you do have a WML.

Top Bottom