• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    Why do you think you need a light on your gun? I look at a light as a target at night or dark areas. You have a light on your pistol, you are using it, where is your body? Light on long gun, most are to the left a very few to the right side. Very few bad guys are using a light. Lights show where you are as a target! Just my thoughts from being shot at and shoting back in my youth!

If you use a light is on a pistol or long gun?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Functioning In Low Light - By Tom Givens

It is just as or more important to know how and when to use your handheld light than thinking the light on your gun is the be all do all.

I have lights and light bearing gear available and have trained with them on numerous occasions. As a routine I don't carry lighted guns. I do slide an x300 on my G19 at bedtime though.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Pretty much everything I own has a light other than my 48 (no rails) or my longer range rifles.
    Why do you think you need a light on your gun? I look at a light as a target at night or dark areas. You have a light on your pistol, you are using it, where is your body? Light on long gun, most are to the left a very few to the right side. Very few bad guys are using a light. Lights show where you are as a target! Just my thoughts from being shot at and shoting back in my youth!

If you use a light is on a pistol or long gun?
    You just really hate them lights, eh?

Pretty much everything I use with any regularity has a light on it... handgun, rifle, and shotgun. Take some low light training and you'll see why.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I have to give the OP credit for doubling down for their opinion in not one, but two threads.

That noise in the house, was it a family member or someone with ill intent?
    If it is someone who strayed onto your property, or through an unlocked front door, can you confirm if they are armed or pose a threat?
    What if you are out in public, and you have to cross through an area with limited light?
    What do you do if you lose power one night, and later you hear someone creep through your house?

As many others have said, in low light it is hard to identify whatever you are encountering, and if you cannot identify it how can you properly assess whether to engage? A light in a weapon is a tool, and like any other tool you should know how to use it properly. WMLs should be used intermittently, and not on at all times to make yourself a target. WMLs often come with strobe functions too, which when used appropriately, can disorient a hostile individual.

Handheld lights are also very useful, and can be used to disguise your movement, used as a distraction, or pitched into a room to give you another source of light.

If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest taking some low light shooting classes. You might learn something.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Lights in large areas (outside, arena-size interior spaces) can be a negative asset to the user. They do show your location and are of somewhat limited use for target illumination.

Indoors, in typically sized spaces, lights are a force multiplier. Good light use will result in disorientation, identification, and night-blindness of the target.

Run a good force on force scenario like active shooter, hidden subject, or building clearing as both the good guy and the bad guy. I would be surprised if you do not see the light.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Most of your reasoning has been debunked in the other thread or by most trainers.
    1) Proper use of a proper light WILL put the bad guy at a disadvantage.
    2) House clearing? How about when wife wakes you up and asks you to investigate " I heard something" sound? Do your kids sleep in your room?
    3) Lights WILL stop you from making the biggest mistake ever of shooting a wandering family member.
    4) Um, if the bad guy is back lighted won't YOU be front lighted?

I suggest you get some low light realistic training. It may be a real eye opener for you. Or not.

Yeah, I'm lazy enough to just cut and paste my reply from the other thread. :whistle:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    One evening last summer near midnight some little sh*thead did a doorbell/knock and run. I grabbed my M&P with mounted light and went to the front door to investigate. After seeing the porch was clear I headed out to do a scan of the property. All was clear but when I got back in my son informed me that by using a WML I would have the muzzle pointed and anybody and anything I was looking at. I'm not sure if that's the smartest thing I've ever done. I now use a handheld light. YMMV

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You need to
    One evening last summer near midnight some little sh*thead did a doorbell/knock and run. I grabbed my M&P with mounted light and went to the front door to investigate. After seeing the porch was clear I headed out to do a scan of the property. All was clear but when I got back in my son informed me that by using a WML I would have the muzzle pointed and anybody and anything I was looking at. I'm not sure if that's the smartest thing I've ever done. I now use a handheld light. YMMV
    You should use both. One is to identify one is to verify. Of the two of i can only have one is the wml.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Lights in large areas (outside, arena-size interior spaces) can be a negative asset to the user. They do show your location and are of somewhat limited use for target illumination.

Cloud owls are extremely effective outdoors at defensive ranges and beyond. Atibal has a serious light head out now too.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I tell my son, if you come in late and I call out, you better answer quick, because your probably looking at the wrong end of a BIG GUN.BUT, I always have a small lamp in front room, on at night ,so I can see down the hall towards front room.Its hard to miss with a street sweeper.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to give the OP credit for doubling down for their opinion in not one, but two threads.

That noise in the house, was it a family member or someone with ill intent?
    If it is someone who strayed onto your property, or through an unlocked front door, can you confirm if they are armed or pose a threat?
    What if you are out in public, and you have to cross through an area with limited light?
    What do you do if you lose power one night, and later you hear someone creep through your house?

As many others have said, in low light it is hard to identify whatever you are encountering, and if you cannot identify it how can you properly assess whether to engage? A light in a weapon is a tool, and like any other tool you should know how to use it properly. WMLs should be used intermittently, and not on at all times to make yourself a target. WMLs often come with strobe functions too, which when used appropriately, can disorient a hostile individual.

Handheld lights are also very useful, and can be used to disguise your movement, used as a distraction, or pitched into a room to give you another source of light.

If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest taking some low light shooting classes. You might learn something.
    "Winning"

In this many are so set in their ways you will not sway them regardless of facts. When something goes bump in the night and yes it has, I will have more than enough light so as not to cause more issues than needed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Outside either works.

Here is the thing.......if you are in a defensive condition would you not want the muzzle in the general direction of any possible threat...???
    I ask this for opinions.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Of course, I can't find the video now.
    But I watched a video of police officers charging into a house to save a woman.
    The house was dark.
    But they went in and, bang bang, bad guy holding gun falls down and stays.

It was a bodycam video.
    Without the light, it wouldn't have happened.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think a lot of the use of the light is related to your situation. At night here we never answer the door, the perimeter alarm alerts us to intrusion. People in other situations may need different solutions where lights would help.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Outside either works.

Here is the thing.......if you are in a defensive condition would you not want the muzzle in the general direction of any possible threat...???
    I ask this for opinions.
    Yes but probably not at some kid that just rang your doorbell. :cool: I learned a good lesson.

Top Bottom