• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I will agree with carbide for pistol dies but Brian Enos was talking about rifle dies where the price for carbide isn't worth it since you have to lube the case with both dies, (unless it's a straight walled rifle case).

Now as far as using lube and a pad I suggest trying the spray lube. I use the Frankfort Arsenal brand, place 20 - 30 case in and aluminum tray, give a it couple of sprays, let it sit a minute or so and resize, no muss no fuss, works great. I haven't used a lube pad in years for rifle brass.

I'll admit I didn't read the link, thought we were talking about straight walled pistol cases.

For larger batches of 5.56 cases (100-500 pcs) I use Rooster spray lube, shaken around in a plastic grocery bag. Works well, but have to wash them to remove lube. PITA. I need to try the kind of spray lube ( someone help me here:D) that you can reload without having to remove any sticky crap, or walnut pieces stuck to sticky crap, stuck to cases.

For smaller batches (everything else) I use Imperial sizing wax.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'll admit I didn't read the link, thought we were talking about straight walled pistol cases.

For larger batches of 5.56 cases (100-500 pcs) I use Rooster spray lube, shaken around in a plastic grocery bag. Works well, but have to wash them to remove lube. PITA. I need to try the kind of spray lube ( someone help me here:D) that you can reload without having to remove any sticky crap, or walnut pieces stuck to sticky crap, stuck to cases.

For smaller batches (everything else) I use Imperial sizing wax.

Guys use Dillon Spray Lube and Hornady One Shot with relatively good reviews.

Rifle Case Lube - Whats Best And Easiest. - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I use a lube pad for my .223 brass. Really not a PITA at all for me.

Funny this came when it did since I've been out in the garage resizing .223 brass, about a thousand done and thousand or so to go. I can't imagine doing this many using a lube pad. Goes really quick using spray lube.

Ion, I just tumble the brass for 20 or so minutes after resizing to remove the lube, works great. If you're using fine media you may have a small kernel of media stuck in the flash hole every once and a awhile but since I clean the primer pockets after resizing it's no big deal. With a little larger media it's not a problem.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    ...Ion, I just tumble the brass for 20 or so minutes after resizing to remove the lube, works great. If you're using fine media you may have a small kernel of media stuck in the flash hole every once and a awhile but since I clean the primer pockets after resizing it's no big deal. With a little larger media it's not a problem.

I see youre using Frankford Arsenal spray. I will give it a try.

Like I said above, when using Rooster ( the bottle is probably 10+ y.o.... and maybe thats the problem) I tumble in walnut after sizing and end up with media stuck to the lube on the case. No length of tumbling removes it. :xmad:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I see youre using Frankford Arsenal spray. I will give it a try.

Like I said above, when using Rooster ( the bottle is probably 10+ y.o.... and maybe thats the problem) I tumble in walnut after sizing and end up with media stuck to the lube on the case. No length of tumbling removes it. :xmad:

I'm using RCBS case lube. I too tumble after resizing and have had no issues with media sticking to the brass. One reason I like to lube my casses by hand. It makes it easier to control the amount of lube used. I always have to check for lube on the neck, as it will put dents in the neck.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have lubed and loaded 3k .223 with hornady one shot and it's great. No need to tumble after unless you really want to. I tried the lube pad but that takes way to long when your loading in big quantities.

Top Bottom