• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Tangent off your tangent... this is exactly the argument I would use when I used to debate hunting issues back in high school (arguing against anti-hunters). I would argue that if they really cared about conserving wildlife that they should buy a hunting/fishing license, buy some ammo, etc., since those proceeds and taxes go to conserving not just game animals, but all wildlife.
    correct….

Last edited:

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Yeah, that's not a 'chance' encounter. That's low hanging fruit. DNR can do that without leaving their office.

I'm 50. I have hunted in 5 different northern Indiana counties starting at the age of 10(always with proper licenses). I have NEVER seen a CO in the woods. Ever.

I did once see a green F150 that said DNR on the side drive past my house, but I can't say for sure who was driving. Probably Bigfoot.

Hell, when I call them to come run off some trespassers hunting coyotes without permission, they tell me to call the county cops.

I am 100% convinced that I am more likely to see Bigfoot, a cougar, and a water moccasin, in the same day, than I am to bump into a CO in my woods.
    Must be the difference in districts, I had a stretch where I was checked four or five different times between fishing and hunting in a two year period(always legal, thank God for a lifetime comprehensive license)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If your name is not on the deed of the land then you are not the owner in the sense of hunting exemptions. You can be exempt if you have a contract to farm the land from the owner. So have your girlfriend write you up an annual contract giving you the right to raise timber on said land. Keep that contract with you at all times when hunting.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Entitlement? By thinking you should have the right to hunt your own land, that the state isn't paying for, up to the regulated limits, without having to pay the state, after already paying taxes on the land for the entire year to begin with? Ok..
    I know, right? Can you imagine people wanting the right to use their own land without asking the state's permission? The entitlement of people these days! :faint:
    The thing people frequently miss while whining about how they should be entitled to hunt deer without cost on their property is that while you own the land you don't own the deer. That you have deer to hunt now is due to the State, at the urging and with the aid of conservationists, having reintroduced them and now manages them for everyone.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with those who own ag land that they also hunt being able to hunt without a license on that land. I also don't have a problem with landowners who manage their land for the benefit of wildlife hunting on that land without buying a license. What I have a problem with are the people that own a bit of land, do absolutely nothing for wildlife and are solely interested in skirting the intent of the rule so they can hunt for free. They're not the least invested in conservation, they're fully invested in freeloading.

By the way, the property taxes that we pay have absolutely nothing to do with managing wildlife or conservation.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The thing people frequently miss while whining about how they should be entitled to hunt deer without cost on their property is that while you own the land you don't own the deer.

Assuming this argument is correct that you are harvesting The King's Deer, to truly hunt for free I'd venture to guess you are going to need to do a high fence perimeter and insert your own herd to harvest.

Of course you'd probably have to work that out with DNR so they know you're doing the equivalent of bringing a cow to be processed.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Assuming this argument is correct that you are harvesting The King's Deer, to truly hunt for free I'd venture to guess you are going to need to do a high fence perimeter and insert your own herd to harvest.

Of course you'd probably have to work that out with DNR so they know you're doing the equivalent of bringing a cow to be processed.
    A point of clarification, one hunts the people's deer managed by the State. If it were the King's deer, no one but the King would be hunting. We now hunt the people's deer managed by the State because most people couldn't or wouldn't responsibly use the resource.

Yes, deer farms are regulated more or less like livestock so in theory that would work. In practice, the rub would be in ensuring all of the wild deer were out of the enclosure and none were able to get back in. I suspect that by the time you did all that plus jumping through all of the required hoops, you could've come out far ahead buying a lifetimes worth of licenses.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A point of clarification, one hunts the people's deer managed by the State. If it were the King's deer, no one but the King would be hunting. We now hunt the people's deer managed by the State because most people couldn't or wouldn't responsibly use the resource.

Yes, deer farms are regulated more or less like livestock so in theory that would work. In practice, the rub would be in ensuring all of the wild deer were out of the enclosure and none were able to get back in. I suspect that by the time you did all that plus jumping through all of the required hoops, you could've come out far ahead buying a lifetimes worth of licenses.
    The kings deer comment was more an over the top description to illustrate that the deer on your land is not your deer. That’s all.

And yes, my solution is over the top. I’m just trying to show that sometimes the workaround isn’t worth doing it over the prescribed way.

But INGO is famous for tripping over dollars to pick up nickels

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    The problem I have is that the state wants to have their cake and eat it too. If the deer really belong to the state, then why are deer allowed to wander around freely? If I claim to own a dog, but let that dog wander around all over others people's property, go after their animals, bite them, and refuse to take any responsibility for it, but then want to sue somebody for shooting "my" dog, I think we'd all see how ridiculous and hypocritical that is.

Yet the state wants to claim absolute ownership over wild animals that roam freely over anybody's land they please, and we're supposed to think that's just fine and dandy? If the state really owns every deer in Indiana, then for starters, why is the state not held responsible for damages done to crops by deer?

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Watch out. If you do not buy a hunt/fish license then that might create a common law marriage!?

So either a marriage license or a hunt/fish license, your choice. I will tell you which is cheaper.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    At least this one I know..
    A handy guide here:

Top Bottom