• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    It doesn't sound like Liberty Safe was served with a subpoena. It sounds like the police just said they had a search warrant for someone's safe. I doubt that Liberty was legally required to give them the information.
    I got that. What Liberty did really sucks. My point is it doesn't matter who you buy from. If the feds want the combo they will get it one way or another. There is a legal system and enforcement system in place that have ways of forcing companies no matter who they are to provide information.

If a company doesn't provide the requested info they could be raided and their records seized. I bet for most companies it is just easier to provide what is asked for.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    It is my understanding, based upon other news reports, that Liberty was not served with a proper subpoena. The Feebs called and asked, they gave. They apparently had a search warrant but that does not force Liberty to do Jack.

This is the point that has people riled up. If what I read is accurate, the man and his property were the target of a search warrant. The warrant did not address Liberty or compel them in any way to provide the combo. Liberty provided the combo as a courtesy (my word). Sure, cops would have gotten into the safe regardless but that isn't Liberty's call. Liberty went against their customer's wishes without a legal necessity to do so. I would have expected Liberty to say "If you want the access, get a warrant for the combo."

Recall a few years ago when Apple stood firm on giving the cops access to a phone.

If I have this wrong please correct me.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    What do you suppose would have happened if they didn't get the code? They'd just shrug and not open?

As much as I hate a company not respecting your privacy... ^^^ think about this.
    In a world where the federal justice system has even become weaponized... destroying your rather expensive safe to get to the contents is nothing they will even think twice about.

In fact, given the level of competence of the federal government these days, and some local departments, (especially if you happen to live in a liberal run big city) you could count yourself lucky if you don't end up with a "Use enough dynamite there Butch?" situation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As much as I hate a company not respecting your privacy... ^^^ think about this.
    In a world where the federal justice system has even become weaponized... destroying your rather expensive safe to get to the contents is nothing they will even think twice about.
    That decision should be up to the owner. Decisions have consequences.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Most Liberty Electronic locks are Securam Safelogic Basics. A factory reset should wipe the master, and you'd be able to reprogram. Besure to reset both the user and master.

Been seeing a lot of "replace the lock" talk. Not super necessary. Just reset it. Obviously do this with the door open. If you remove the lock to do it ensure the relocker (if present) is put on right or you'll have a bad time.
    If you're set on replacement. Get a direct drive deadbolt, you can leave it unlocked and toggle the boltwork unlike a swing-bolt (saves the keypad, less button presses=less wear=longer life).
    Or a mechanical, but most electronic locks are pretty decent nowadays.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Would you still want that expensive safe after you discovered that Liberty voluntarily hands out master codes to law enforcement like Halloween candy?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Would you still want that expensive safe after you discovered that Liberty voluntarily hands out master codes to law enforcement like Halloween candy?
    We are all on notice now. Before buying a new safe, any brand, check to see if a master code exists for the one you’re looking at and what the manufacturers policy is for releasing it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

horse-leaving-barn.jpg

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Not sure attacking Liberty Safes makes much sense here, any USA based safe Company would've divulged the combo eventually if not immediately as well.
    I get the idea expressed that they should have resisted but why would they? So they can be the next target of an IRS audit? Not like the DOJ is weaponized now is it? I like their response (we can erase the back up, then recovery is on you) seems like a good option for the keyboard warriors.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Not sure attacking Liberty Safes makes much sense here, any USA based safe Company would've divulged the combo eventually if not immediately as well.
    I get the idea expressed that they should have resisted but why would they? So they can be the next target of an IRS audit? Not like the DOJ is weaponized now is it? I like their response (we can erase the back up, then recovery is on you) seems like a good option for the keyboard warriors.

So they should comply because of the veiled threat of attack...
    That's it guys, due process be damned, just roll over already.
    face-palm-shake-my-head.gif

Top Bottom