• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I stick with the Stihls.That clutch drum has a notch to hold the OP ( wire).That saw don't look that old.I would clean everything and try it.I keep a small paint brush to clean oil/ gas caps and paper towels to wipe the bar/ block surfaces clean.I keep paperclips to keep the oil passages open,and a thin ground screwdriver to clean out the chain groove.I use 290's and recently got a 271 and love it so far. Hard to beat those 290's. The"C" designation on the new stihls stands for computer. They have a chip. For home use,firewood,the residential saws !re fine. Use quality mix oil.(I use Stihl syn)Too much oil in mix will make saw run hotter. Always shake saw(fuel) fuel mix can separate. I am sorry this is long. You can learn a lot from yours and others mistakes. Any one interested in some old Homelites.
    Maintenance tip for the day.. always clean out under the sprocket cover often.. I carry an old toothbrush with me in my box when I head out.. tools and extra nut or two for the bar.. rags.. chains and smaller bars. I blow out the air filter and the whole saw.. depending on how often and what I cut. Some wood cuts dusty..? Anyway some I get into makes more dust and of course
    Replacement bar.. stihl is good but I order all bars and chains thru Bailey’s online. Asplundh up here use the same stuff I buy and talking with them it’s good to go products. Woodland Pro is the line they carry and OEM. Their chain holds up well for me and it’s cheaper. Just trying to help!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I stick with the Stihls. That clutch drum has a notch to hold the OP ( wire).That saw don't look that old.I would clean everything and try it.I keep a small paint brush to clean oil/ gas caps and paper towels to wipe the bar/ block surfaces clean.I keep paperclips to keep the oil passages open,and a thin ground screwdriver to clean out the chain groove.I use 290's and recently got a 271 and love it so far. Hard to beat those 290's. The"C" designation on the new stihls stands for computer. They have a chip. For home use,firewood,the residential saws are fine. Use quality mix oil.(I use Stihl syn)Too much oil in mix will make saw run hotter. Always shake saw(fuel) fuel mix can separate. I am sorry this is long. You can learn a lot from yours and others mistakes. Any one interested in some old Homelites.
    Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup: I went ahead and replaced the pump and worm gear, new bar is on the way. I got five trouble free years out of this saw and contrary to how it looks, I put a respectable number of hours on it. The money I'm spending here I think will be a small price to pay for another few years of reliable service.

Side note: I stopped by one of the local Stihl dealers to pick up my parts, and low and behold he had a 461 with a 32" bar on the shelf (the Stihl website doesn't list these any more!) for a pretty good price. I mentioned it and said that I have been shopping the MS462 CM and wondered what the difference was. First thing out of his mouth was the 461 doesn't have the m-tronic system, and if that component fails in the field, the saw is not going to run again until you replace it no matter what. I asked what does it cost to replace that and his reply what around $150, which was the difference in price between the 461 I was looking at and the 462 CM I've been shopping.

Hmmm.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Well, the Boss is back together. Ready to get at some firewooding!

New oil pump assembly - $64.84
    New STIHL 20" .063 .325 FARM BOSS BAR - $51.99 (yes, I know I could have saved by going aftermarket)
    New Oregon chain - $18.71
    For a total of $135.54

Considering 4 years of year round use and only replacing spark plug, air filter, fuel filter and 2 chains, I've gotten pretty good service out of it. Could I have avoided toasting the bar? Not the first time because I didn't understand what was happening. But I can say that's a mistake I won't make again.

007.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

So yes, it's good to have a dealer with a capable service department. But why wouldn't you want to know how to do it yourself?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Well, the Boss is back together. Ready to get at some firewooding!

New oil pump assembly - $64.84
    New STIHL 20" .063 .325 FARM BOSS BAR - $51.99 (yes, I know I could have saved by going aftermarket)
    New Oregon chain - $18.71
    For a total of $135.54

Considering 4 years of year round use and only replacing spark plug, air filter, fuel filter and 2 chains, I've gotten pretty good service out of it. Could I have avoided toasting the bar? Not the first time because I didn't understand what was happening. But I can say that's a mistake I won't make again.

007.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

So yes, it's good to have a dealer with a capable service department. But why wouldn't you want to know how to do it yourself?
    is that a 271? if so how does it handle the 20" bar, i have an 18" on my 271 and the dealer recommended i not put a 20" on despite them being rated for it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    is that a 271? if so how does it handle the 20" bar, i have an 18" on my 271 and the dealer recommended i not put a 20" on despite them being rated for it.
    It is an MS271. I've been pretty happy with the 20" bar, I by no means think it struggles. And churchmouse can confirm, I'm not shy with it.

Your dealer wants to sell you a bigger saw. :rolleyes:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    It is an MS271. I've been pretty happy with the 20" bar, I by no means think it struggles. And churchmouse can confirm, I'm not shy with it.

Your dealer wants to sell you a bigger saw. :rolleyes:
    Id love a bigger saw, I dont know what id do with it. Right now i use the 271 to clean up anything that falls does a great job

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Id love a bigger saw, I dont know what id do with it. Right now i use the 271 to clean up anything that falls does a great job
    It's great for limbing and bucking logs that are 20" in diameter or less, maybe 24". I have some standing dead that are >24" - 32" that I want to harvest for firewood. I've been really pressing the OG for the green light to get an MS462 with a 28" - 32" bar. However, that puppy's price has a comma in it.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Stihls and Husky for me. I have 2 362's a 271, a 180, and an older 029. I also have a Husky 460. I run synthetic oil in the mix and use non ethanol fuel. Never have issues unless I get over zealous and flood them out.

memphis_125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I love my Stihl chainsaws. One of mine went through a flood. Was under water for almost a week. I cleaned the airbox, cleaned the carb, put fresh gas in it and it started right up. Love them!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Recently bought a new MS462 with 28" bar. Had a MS391 , posted in another thread that I dropped an oak tree on top of. Smashed it flat, saved the bar/chain and bar nuts. Every thing was broken except the cylinder/piston. Parts were within $75 of a new saw.

The 462 is a real saw....Wow!!

Don

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Recently bought a new MS462 with 28" bar. Had a MS391 , posted in another thread that I dropped an oak tree on top of. Smashed it flat, saved the bar/chain and bar nuts. Every thing was broken except the cylinder/piston. Parts were within $75 of a new saw.

Don
    That special oil that extends the warranty really does work apparently. /s

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Don
    And it only weighs 1 lb more than my 271!

Curious if you paid less than MSRP for it?

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Ive been looking for a new 362 c-m pro saw to add to my fleet but my local dealer and several surrounding dealers are having a tough time getting them it seems....damn rona

Top Bottom