Lesson learned on my "perfect" 1911, and a question from a newbie.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Here's the question first, so you don't have to read the whole story if you don't want to: Dan Wesson Bruin 10mm long slide - Is the rear sight adjustment screw hole supposed to extend into the firing pin tube?

Situation: In the Perfect 1911 thread below, I posted a picture of my Dan Wesson Bruin, thinking it's close to the perfect 1911, at least for me. Another gentleman posted his Bruin picture, with a price tag, thinking he wanted to sell it. So I bought it from him (great guy, by the way). At home with it, I'm comparing his to mine, and notice the firing pin sticking out in mine with the slide racked open. That don't look right, so I try to push it in and it won't budge.

So it's time for my first breakdown of a 1911. Yes, I'm a 1911 virgin. So I get it broke down and the firing pin and spring are tough to get out, but I get it done. Had to screw out the spring for it to come out. Clean everything up and get ready to reassemble. Spring will not drop into the tube. Long story short, the rear sight adjustment screw is extending into the firing pin tube, and will not let the spring drop in. Back off the sight adjustment screw and the spring drops in like it should. Yes, I do know to put the spring onto the firing pin correctly first, but was just troubleshooting at this point.

So this was a brand new Dan Wesson with the adjustable rear sight screw adjusted down far enough to interfere with the firing pin! What could have happened had I fired a live round like that with the pin stuck out? Lesson learned is for me to know more about how the platform works, but it strikes me as questionable engineering for anything to be possible to encroach into the firing pin tube, unless mine is defective and drilled too deep? I'm going to look at the 2nd Bruin, but I've gotta get this 1st one back together first!

Comments welcome. Thanks,

Steve

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If the screw is protruding into the channel and putting drag on firing pin or spring then it is to long. The only thing controlling the firing pin movement should be the spring and retaining plate.

File the length of the screw down

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    If it was used when you got it its possible someone replaced the screw and used one that was to long? I can't imagine why DW would make the opening protruding into the firing pin channel let alone install a screw that would interfere with the spring / pin.
    Not exactly a inexpensive pistol.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If the screw is protruding into the channel and putting drag on firing pin or spring then it is to long. The only thing controlling the firing pin movement should be the spring and retaining plate.

File the length of the screw down

This is the correct advice IMHO, you don't want to give that screw a chance to move and interfere with the firing pin again.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    New one on me....:dunno:

Actually fixed more than one 1911 today. The pistol shown below, someone traded it to me, and it had some pimp grips on it, so I fixed it :). (actually, the pimp grips were bevelled bottoms, and I wanted the flat bottoms to go with the magwell).

What do ya think?

IMG_1425.jpg

InkedIMG_1424_LI.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually fixed more than one 1911 today. The pistol shown below, someone traded it to me, and it had some pimp grips on it, so I fixed it :). (actually, the pimp grips were bevelled bottoms, and I wanted the flat bottoms to go with the magwell).

What do ya think?

View attachment 135010

View attachment 135012
    Love the Burl. Seriously
    do you want to sell the pimp pieces

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    What did you find out on your original bruin?

The Bruin is fine now. Broke down the 2nd one (you know the one :) ), and it too has the rear site adjustment hole drilled all the way through into the firing pin tube. It must be easier and cheaper to drill and tap all the way through, rather than drill and tap a blind hole. The one that was binding on the firing pin is the original equipment adjustable sight, and I didn't adjust it at all. My brothers and I only shot it about 50 rounds to function/fun test, so it either worked it's way down a little, or got shifted and stuck upon me dry firing at some point.

It was like fully extended about 1/4" out the firing pin hole when I just happened to see it. I really do wonder what it would have done had I fired a live round? Pierced the primer? Glad I didn't find out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Bruin is fine now. Broke down the 2nd one (you know the one :) ), and it too has the rear site adjustment hole drilled all the way through into the firing pin tube. It must be easier and cheaper to drill and tap all the way through, rather than drill and tap a blind hole. The one that was binding on the firing pin is the original equipment adjustable sight, and I didn't adjust it at all. My brothers and I only shot it about 50 rounds to function/fun test, so it either worked it's way down a little, or got shifted and stuck upon me dry firing at some point.

It was like fully extended about 1/4" out the firing pin hole when I just happened to see it. I really do wonder what it would have done had I fired a live round? Pierced the primer? Glad I didn't find out.

Looks like you caught an as built Boo-Boo.
    Production guns are as prone to baffling BS issues no matter who makes them but the better offerings seem to be more QC'd.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

What do ya think?

View attachment 135010

View attachment 135012
    Damnit thats a fine looking piece.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I have to wonder if they test-fired it at the factory? If the screw was keeping the firing pin from going forward, I can't imagine that it would have fired.

Top Bottom