• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Don't know about agencies SOP but it is a stupid practice. Just like trying to get the keys out of the stopped car's ignition and walking in between your unit and the car you have stopped.

Reactions: Leo

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We were prohibited by policy from standing at either bumper or any pinch point without good reason. So no standing in between cars or between the stopped car and guard rail unless traffic was heavy then we could go on the passenger side between the car and guard rail. Standing in front of the stopped care during a "routine" stop could have gotten us a write up. I like the bumper policy but i think standing on the driver or passenger side should have been our choice.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Is it allowed to shoot at a suspect in a car if you don't know if they're armed? Just a procedural question, I don't know anything about this particular instance. I watched a video recently where an armed suspect was running away and the officer was shooting at them, wasn't sure if that's "allowed" or what the protocol is. I'm sure there are many factors involved, just curious what they are if anyone can enlighten me/us.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Different situation completely, but there use to be a motorcycle leo that would hide under the 465 bridge on 70E and catche speeders. He would often get in right to the edge (if not in) of the lane to try to stop them.

Haven't seen him in many many years though.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If they are ramming you with the car they aren't unarmed. I think it was stupid and avoidable in the pregnant girl incident but she made a bad choices too. In the case of shooting them as they run you have Tennessee v garner guiding you. Off the top of my head if the officer reasonably believes that the fleeing person poses a significant risk of severe injury or death to the public you are justified in shooting. The shooting of a fleeing suspect is a seizure under the 4th amendment. You can't shoot them for just fleeing they need to pose a risk to the public and/or officer.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Is it SOP for a LEO to put themselves in front of a parked car, while their partner attempts to question the driver?

I do it quite a bit depending on how a traffic stop is situated.

I just read some replies and I thought this was a vehicle position question. I'll back up another unit and pull my vehicle partially in front of the stopped one... I don't stand in front of it like an idiot. I didn't see or hear about whatever incident this thread is referring to.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I do it quite a bit depending on how a traffic stop is situated.

I just read some replies and I thought this was a vehicle position question. I'll back up another unit and pull my vehicle partially in front of the stopped one... I don't stand in front of it like an idiot. I didn't see or hear about whatever incident this thread is referring to.
    Story is a woman was suspected of shoplifting and a worker flagged down 2 popos doing a lockout in the parking lot. One stood at the driver's door ordering her out the other stood at the front bumper with his gun out ordering her out of the car as well. She put it in drive and rolled a bit before being shot and killed. Everyone is upset because she was pregnant.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Story is a woman was suspected of shoplifting and a worker flagged down 2 popos doing a lockout in the parking lot. One stood at the driver's door ordering her out the other stood at the front bumper with his gun out ordering her out of the car as well. She put it in drive and rolled a bit before being shot and killed. Everyone is upset because she was pregnant the cops didnt just let that poor innocent woman drive off.
    FIFY

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yes, that’s what I’m referencing.

If this is against SOP, I’d assume civil liability is going to jam him up.
    Every department is different with their SOP. If there is no department SOP prohibiting this, it will be a tougher fight in court. There is a difference between stepping in front of an already moving vehicle and stepping in front of a parked vehicle where the driver then decides to drive into you.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I’m not commenting on the shooting, just questioning the officer who put himself in front of the car.

I’d hope my son or future grandchildren would not be fearful of the police & not panic & do something dumb. Fear & panic makes people do stupid things. Accelerate instead of brake, reverse instead of park. Not saying that is the case here, other than the fear & panic.

It’s tragic in any case.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I wonder what tune people would be singing if she mounted a curb and ran down a three year old child, and the police just shrugged and said "well we have to let them run, it would violate their rights".

Protect and serve. Serve the public, by protecting the public, AGAINST the kind of people who drive recklessly to escape with stolen goods. In a normal and sane society, the criminal's wellbeing is last in line behind the rest of the public and the police officers who had to be summoned to deal with their criminality.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    She was stealing alcohol. Somehow I do not think she was worried about her baby's health.
    Allegedly.

In his interview with the AP on Friday, Walton denied that Young had stolen anything from the grocery store. He said his firm found a witness who saw Young put down bottles of alcohol as she left the store.

“The bottles were left in the store,” he said. “So when she’s in her car denying that, that’s accurate. She did not commit any theft, and so these officers were not even within their right to place her under arrest, let alone take her life.”

Top Bottom