• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    I am looking into the possibility to become a Police officer. Other attmepts to further myself in the Federal Law Enforcement field are fleeting. It seems to me that I am just spinning my wheels.

Anywho, I am very interested in becoming a LEO/FLEO of any sorts, and any of the LEOs on here if you could chime in or point me in the direction of any agency/branch hiring right now, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Well first off, how old are you?

Are you or can you become physically fit?

Married or single?

Whats your financial status, and why do you want to become an officer?

Do you have any college? Do you have a diploma or a GED?

These are basic questions you need to get answered before you jump into trying to become an officer.

Next, try joining policelink.com

Last, after you think you've made it, study like hell for the oral interview - you'll need it.

:-)

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    If you are dead set on a agency then try and get on at that county's jail. You get some benifits here in that you learn the officers and you learn the people you will be dealing with. Depending on the jail you work for you can also work reserve for another department. As said above if you prove yourself in the jail or reserve you have a better edge over the other guy. Just have to get your foot in the door and let them see what you got.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you are willing to relocate to the U.S.- Mexican border, I believe that the U.S. Border Patrol is hiring.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Your location would be helpful..

The trick, as with ANY job, is getting your foot in the door. If that means being a reserve officer (or deputy), or working in a jail, even volunteering to help out at fairs or community festivals, do it!

That's how I got involved in search & rescue back in Ohio, and that's how I'm working it so far here.. it's not a fast process ANYWHERE, so being patient is a good idea..

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The first is start at the beginning, go around and submit applications at every agency that you might want to work at, then go around and submit applications at every agency that you didn't submit to the first time around. What others have said on this thread is pretty good advice also. There's a lot of foot work involved in trying to get on somewhere.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    Well first off, how old are you?

Are you or can you become physically fit?

Married or single?

Whats your financial status, and why do you want to become an officer?

Do you have any college? Do you have a diploma or a GED?

These are basic questions you need to get answered before you jump into trying to become an officer.

Next, try joining policelink.com

Last, after you think you've made it, study like hell for the oral interview - you'll need it.

:-)

22 years old, Just returned from Active Duty with the Army in October 07. I went through Airborne, air assault, and ranger schools. ( I am in pretty decent shape.) I am Single, kind of I have a girlfriend. My financial status, I am currently Unemployed due to the wonderful economy. I want to be an Officer to advance myself in the LEO field, i.e., federal side. I have some college, and a definite high school diploma.

I am located on the South side of Indianapolis, Southport and 65 area.

Thanks again for all the help.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    22 years old, Just returned from Active Duty with the Army in October 07. I went through Airborne, air assault, and ranger schools. ( I am in pretty decent shape.) I am Single, kind of I have a girlfriend. My financial status, I am currently Unemployed due to the wonderful economy. I want to be an Officer to advance myself in the LEO field, i.e., federal side. I have some college, and a definite high school diploma.

I am located on the South side of Indianapolis, Southport and 65 area.

Thanks again for all the help.

You're well set then. The military back ground will help you rise above other class mates, unless they have referrals from their criminal justice program professors.

You're young, but not immature or inexperienced.

You're not married - no one to depend on you. Thats a huge plus.

Being physically fit and of the right build & stature is a plus also.

The "some college" will also help you out.

As for finding the jobs.... always surf the monster.com and other job sites. As I said, get on Police Link and start searching away.

Coming straight from the military, you may want to consider trying out for the US Marshals program. You'll need to be in A++ shape to pass their physical. You're young - go for it!

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    You're well set then. The military back ground will help you rise above other class mates, unless they have referrals from their criminal justice program professors.

You're young, but not immature or inexperienced.

You're not married - no one to depend on you. Thats a huge plus.

Being physically fit and of the right build & stature is a plus also.

The "some college" will also help you out.

As for finding the jobs.... always surf the monster.com and other job sites. As I said, get on Police Link and start searching away.

Coming straight from the military, you may want to consider trying out for the US Marshals program. You'll need to be in A++ shape to pass their physical. You're young - go for it!

I have been trying to get into the US Marshals FOREVER!!!!! thats my dream job, to be on an FRT.

Well once again, thanks to everyone who has helped out.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    TD, keep in mind that at age 22 most federal jobs you are looking for are VERY hard to get into. best bet get a college degree in about anything other than criminalology, try to find a local LE job(even a jailer) move up from there. get another 2 years of non-military expirence under yor belt and you'll about be set.

i know how hard it is, i had similar credentials and had to fight my ass off to get a job in the federal bureau of prisons. get on usajobs.com and apply for everything that gets you close though. if you get something you will have your foot in the door, and can get a better/more desireable job a bit easier

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    LEOs

May I suggest starting in a Jail or Prison as a C/O
    You get some great exp and a lot of C/Os work on the side or move on to LE after a short time
    State Facilities are always looking for people
    and with Your backround to date you are what they are looking for

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    May I suggest starting in a Jail or Prison as a C/O
    You get some great exp and a lot of C/Os work on the side or move on to LE after a short time
    State Facilities are always looking for people
    and with Your backround to date you are what they are looking for

I know IDOC and GEO corp(runs NCCF) are both constantly hiring. Heck, the fed pen in terre haute may even be hiring. That is if you want the stepping stone to be turning keys and telling grown adults no. Hope everything works out for you:rockwoot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you want to eventually make BIG MONEY in Federal LEO... Then look into being an Air Marshall. You'll need at least 3 years of LEO experience, though...

My brother-in-law got a $30k/year raise after his first year was over...

Yeah, he makes decent coin.

But he has to live/work out of Cleveland. That's a downside. :)

-J-

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    If you want to eventually make BIG MONEY in Federal LEO... Then look into being an Air Marshall. You'll need at least 3 years of LEO experience, though...

My brother-in-law got a $30k/year raise after his first year was over...

Yeah, he makes decent coin.

But he has to live/work out of Cleveland. That's a downside. :)

-J-

From what I understand an Air Marshall's job sucks. Also, the FRT is a Fugitive Recovery Team. I like the thought of following leads and chasing down people and catching them when they least expect it. I know that it doesn't happen like that EVERY day, and I understand that. I know Police do that, to an extent, but I want to stop the ones who are fugitives on a bigger scale.

Thanks again for all the advice, and by all means don't stop!

This is great info for me to use and get myself where I want to be.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    . Heck, the fed pen in terre haute may even be hiring. That is if you want the stepping stone to be turning keys and telling grown adults no. Hope everything works out for you:rockwoot:
    Yamaha, have you(or do you) worked out there? that is about the most accurate description i have heard :yesway:

We have'nt hired anyone in a few months(july or august) but it comes and goes in spurts. we'll hire 20 or so, and not hire anyone for 3-6 months.

But, Yes it is a great way to get your foot in the door. we have had several use the job as a stepping stone. and for the area it's one of the better paying jobs other than something in the medical field

Top Bottom