• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Anyhow, I've been looking to get into some leather crafting, holstermaking mostly, and was curious as to what the process is for forming/molding leather to the gun contours. Is is just wetted or steamed? Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Build the holster, soak it for half an hour in warm water, wrap the HG in cellophane( not too thick or plastic sandwich bagor buy a blue training gun), insert firearm and start massaging it. Work it some then let it dry and repeat. Oil outside and wax inside when dry.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Oil outside and wax inside when dry.
    Not many manufacturers recommend that you oil a leather holster. It will lose its "stiffness" and lose its retention capability. I have a Kirkpatrick holster that came with a gun that I bought. Although it looked like it was never used, it is limp and floppy. I have a feeling that the previous owner used oil on it.

A better thing to use on leather holsters, to keep them from cracking, but still stiff is "saddle soap". It can be found at many outdoors/farm stores, and can likely be found in the shoe section at other stores. I believe Walmart has it.

Top Bottom