• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I put in an order to SnS Bullet Casting in the great state of Illinois, and he commented to me about getting my order in "before the increase" I asked him what he meant. He replied that the price of lead was/has gone up 30% since he got his last shipment in (not sure when). I believe that he must get in quite a bit at a time, and this may reflect his cost since his last truckload came in. He said his prices would be going up, first of the year. Has anyone else heard or seen an indication as to the current state of the lead market? The effect would be an additional $5/1000 of bullets, not enough to break the bank, but just wondering.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Two weeks ago I received an order of 2000 pcs of .45ACP 200 gr LSWC from Dardus for $70/1000 then two days later I noticed on Matt's web site the price was $84/1000. Prices are on their way up...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Lead is a commodity. It goes up. It goes down. I've often wondered why so many of us survivalists buy so much gold when lead is a much better investment (albeit more bulky). While you can cast boolits out of gold, at current prices I think I'll stick with lead... Plus, with a good bullet trap you can recycle and reuse much of your lead.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I looked at the charts and lead is $1.04/lb---up from around.50 cents/lb a year ago. Price looks stable($1.04 to $1.07) thru all of 2010.

Question should be: When did lead go back up? It looks pretty stable going forward.

Steve

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    Question should be: When did lead go back up? It looks pretty stable going forward.

Steve

I think lead and copper have been going up all year after they fell with other metals in the Fall of last year.
    UPS, FEDEX and USPS(packages) are all raising their rates in January.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have mentioned before but worth repeating...contact your local dentist, they likely have a bunch of almost pure lead that they would LOVE to get rid of. I have what visually looks like about the volume of 2-3 gallon jugs full of it. If they take digital xrays then they likely don't have any. Most still have the (in my opinion better) film that is placed in your mouth and then developed in the machine. There is a thin piece of lead foil in that film that gets separated out when it gets developed. This is not (supposed to be) thrown away to avoid contaminating the landfills, and the cost of refining is not worth enough to mess with so a lot of dentists just pile it up.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Well good to know about SNS at any rate, I was going to wait a bit and order some more from them but I think I'll just get it over with, I really like their bullets alot and they have a great shipping price for large orders.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Chinese are big consumers of lead and copper for batteries and electrical wire. The price seems to go up and down with how busy they are.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    About 8 years ago I sold off about 2000 lbs of linotype lead to a
    Graphic Arts recycler for about 20¢ a pound......

Before I knew any better....... about 1/10 of the current prices......

38-72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    If you're looking for lead, check with your local scap iron dealer. I found some really great buys.

Top Bottom