• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I did want that Hustler. I probably would have ponied up had the Hustler dealer been better rated. But the price difference would also easily cover a hydro replacement.
    Ya i understand. The dealer is one of the most important things when buying. My dealer has been great, they also sell stihl which is why i have been moving to stihl. If they sold husky's instead id own husky's.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    I've got a Gravely ZT HD 52 and I wouldn't recommend it if you want a manicured look. I'm going into my third year using it. My complaint is the quality of cut. The Gravely has been much more reliable than the Scag Liberty Z that I had prior (mostly engine issues--Scag had a Kohler and the Gravely I have now has a Kawasaki). From the beginning the Gravely has left more uncut blades of grass (not noticeable unless you walk through the grass and still looks good from the house or road, but I'm very particular about my lawn). I've switched blades and still have the same problem. I think it is just a poor deck design. The Scag left a better cut than the Gravley.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Ya i understand. The dealer is one of the most important things when buying. My dealer has been great, they also sell stihl which is why i have been moving to stihl. If they sold husky's instead id own husky's.

That's pretty much the right answer anyhow. Never been disappointed with Stihl.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Two words. Dixie Chopper.
    I dont think so....:bs:

They are not even in the same league as Scag, Exmark, Hustler, Deere, Gravley, Kubota and a few other commercial series mowers. DC was passed 10 years ago by better machines and hangs on to this day by a thread not sure how they still survive.

Ive ran them all and I went with JD 930m just because its the most comfortable for a 6'-5" guy. Cut is amazing with the 7iron deck. 20210330_191037.jpg

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I dont think so....:bs:

They are not even in the same league as Scag, Exmark, Hustler, Deere, Gravley, Kubota and a few other commercial series mowers. DC was passed 10 years ago by better machines and hangs on to this day by a thread not sure how they still survive.
    I had heard that the Dixie Chopper name has been sold a few times in the last several years. Was interesting that none of the equipment dealers in my area ever mentioned them nor carried them.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I had heard that the Dixie Chopper name has been sold a few times in the last several years. Was interesting that none of the equipment dealers in my area ever mentioned them nor carried them.
    Its not that they are an awful mower there are just way better options at lesser price points and better dealer support. If we put it in firearms terms its kind of like how Colt uses its name as the marketing tool thats how I view DC now just using the name.

Now until about 2008 they still where at the top but since then have not made a whole lot of improvement to said product vs the other brands.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I still can't believe how few people I see wearing them today and then look at me like I'm the crazy person. Even if you don't care about your hearing, wouldn't you rather listen to something other than the mower? I've noticed a handful with regular ear buds in, but that's fighting an inferno with squirt gun when I've tried.
    I run the 3m worktunes and isopro ear buds. The ear buds dont work as well as the headphones. But the headphones slam down on my sunglasses and give me a headache after a while.

I have a old set of Howard Leight 31nrr that was my dads that I inherited when he passed away in 01. I already had a pair so I did a little modifying to them.
    Dissembled a old headset, drilled holes in the top side of each ear set. Ran the wiring from the old headset and placed the speakers inside. Plug into my mp3 player and ride.

Before I used to have one of the retail am/fm hearing protection headsets.

My mods to the Howard Leights with it noise rating allowed me to listen to my podcasts without having to crank up the volume and still allowed just enough noise to notice if somethign mechanical was wrong.

Made my 1.5 hour mow around the yard mulching on my ZTR very pleasurable. I considered it my "Me time" Mowed the yard different each week. My neighbors got a kick out if me when I would go all crop circle at times. Finish the yard and then go out and do some zero turns all over the yard in spots 1 inch lower to give it a polka dot look. :laugh:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I bought this one less than a month ago so I'll let you know how it's doing in a couple years lol, but it is stupid fast.

Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 42 in. 547 cc Engine with IntelliPower Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Lawn Tractor
    SKU# 311264843

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I bought this one less than a month ago so I'll let you know how it's doing in a couple years lol, but it is stupid fast.

Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 42 in. 547 cc Engine with IntelliPower Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Lawn Tractor
    SKU# 311264843
    I just bought a Cub Cadet too, the XT2 LX42 with the Kawasaki engine.

Looking forward to using it.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've got a Gravely ZT HD 52 and I wouldn't recommend it if you want a manicured look. I'm going into my third year using it. My complaint is the quality of cut. The Gravely has been much more reliable than the Scag Liberty Z that I had prior (mostly engine issues--Scag had a Kohler and the Gravely I have now has a Kawasaki). From the beginning the Gravely has left more uncut blades of grass (not noticeable unless you walk through the grass and still looks good from the house or road, but I'm very particular about my lawn). I've switched blades and still have the same problem. I think it is just a poor deck design. The Scag left a better cut than the Gravley.
    My Gravely ZTX42 cuts good as long as I don't have the mulch kit on. With the mulch kit on it will only cut good for a couple mows then I have to clean the deck out, even mowing dry grass. I've never had a mulch kit trap so much grass. I think if I could find Gator mulch blades it would help but they don't make the size the mower takes.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My Gravely ZTX42 cuts good as long as I don't have the mulch kit on. With the mulch kit on it will only cut good for a couple mows then I have to clean the deck out, even mowing dry grass. I've never had a mulch kit trap so much grass. I think if I could find Gator mulch blades it would help but they don't make the size the mower takes.
    The Rotary Copperhead blades are just as good as the Gators. Might want to check there.

Not sure what size you have kind of surprised Oregon don't have any that fit.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    The Rotary Copperhead blades are just as good as the Gators. Might want to check there.

Not sure what size you have kind of surprised Oregon don't have any that fit.

Don't see one listed on their site either. It's 14 7/8 length with 5/8" center hole. Oregon has a 15" that would likely work but the center hole is 1/2".

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Got the Bad Boy Maverick, 54“ deck last year. Had a few minor bugs but the dealer was good. Added a front weight to add stability over the hills and mole holes for a bit of improvement, but when I filled the tires with liquid last week, the better half who does the mowing gave it a thumbs up. Pictured are my 2 bad boys, but sadly we had to put the little guy down last March. Almost wish I went with the Ariens as a local business I do alot with now sells them and they were in the running when I got this. I tend to service my mowers in the spring.
    83F536AC-46C0-4EF3-AB83-22B3AD636D8B.jpeg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Here's a pic of the stock blades. Also only 2.25" wide. They seem to be a unicorn.
    Ok, found these that may work for you.
    The Gator blade p/n 396-714 -or- Rotary p/n 15-6316
    These are 14.5", the gators are the G6 version so they will be wider than 2.25

They are shorter blades because of the 3 blade 42" deck design, which should equate to really good blade tip speed. It's a shame the deck design doesn't appear to be better. Ariens should have fixed this issue in design.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Ok, found these that may work for you.
    The Gator blade p/n 396-714 -or- Rotary p/n 15-6316
    These are 14.5", the gators are the G6 version so they will be wider than 2.25

They are shorter blades because of the 3 blade 42" deck design, which should equate to really good blade tip speed. It's a shame the deck design doesn't appear to be better. Ariens should have fixed this issue in design.
    I think the 14.5" will be too short and leave a mohawk. I'll measure the next time I clean out the deck.

Top Bottom