• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Is there anything else about the Kubota that puts it higher? One of my biggest concerns with any of them is the transmissions.
    Doing some looking to see if the Kubota is able to be serviced or they are sealed units. I believe the Badboy models I am looking at are sealed.
    Looks like the Kuboto 42 has ZT-2200 which are the model number of the ones called EZT. So it's the same transmission..
    I would look for steel pulleys and spindles, vs plastic pulleys and aluminum spindles. I'm not sure what the Kubota has. I think all the others are aluminum spindles and unsure of pulley material.
    I would also look at the ease of servicing the deck spindles and pulleys. Most of these I believe have a lift panel in the flooring area, so just how easy is it to remove.
    Other than that bigger tires offer smoother ride, and just overall comfort of the controls. The machines in this price range are all built of mostly the same parts. The Kawi is a better engine, but in reality you have a small lot anyways. It will take a long time to rack up hours at .6acres, so therefore maintenance becomes more the deciding factor IMO

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    The Ferris is a nice machine. The only reason I didn't recommend it is because it's approximately 2-3k above the ones he mentioned already. But it is a step up and fully serviceable.
    Yes, and 0% interest if paid within the 2yr period. Payment was like $2??, Just DON'T miss a payment.
    Buy once, cry once.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes, and 0% interest if paid within the 2yr period. Payment was like $2??, Just DON'T miss a payment.
    Buy once, cry once.
    They all seem to offer that stuff. That said, most charge fees to get the promos and the price is not the same as cash, so they make their money just not calling it interest from what I've seen. If it was like only the difference in like the 2% credit card fee it would be one thing, but many of these come up to about 10% or so different it seems.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    They all seem to offer that stuff. That said, most charge fees to get the promos and the price is not the same as cash, so they make their money just not calling it interest from what I've seen. If it was like only the difference in like the 2% credit card fee it would be one thing, but many of these come up to about 10% or so different it seems.
    Never had that problem. Cash price, paid off, free and clear. I would guess the dealer added these charges.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Is there anything else about the Kubota that puts it higher? One of my biggest concerns with any of them is the transmissions.
    Doing some looking to see if the Kubota is able to be serviced or they are sealed units. I believe the Badboy models I am looking at are sealed.

Within your budget, I'm not sure how much more serviceable you're going to get. The main killer(s) of any hydraulic pump, transmissions or otherwise, are low fluid and high temps. On a flat lawn the size of yours, with an operator who values their possessions, heat isn't likely to be a huge issue. If you see a puddle on the floor, take it in for service. Both issues are pretty easy to manage.

You're at a sweet spot of the market that took me a long time to come to terms with in general. There's good, and then good enough. If good enough wasn't cutting it, then everyone on the planet would be bad mouthing them all over the place and they'd be gone.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Didn't know this.

At what point would it just be easier to have it mowed. I don't know where you are located, but around here it's only like $50 to get a rectangular small lawn like that mowed. Hell 6k could pay to have it mowed for probably 10years at that rate.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Never had that problem. Cash price, paid off, free and clear. I would guess the dealer added these charges.
    Some of its on the dealer websites. I've seen it in a few and definitely saw promo pricing vs cash pricing of close to 10% difference when I was at the Badboy dealer.

I had not seen this typically either but have seen it occasionally on some higher dollar items like this. In any case, I'll liquidate some financial assets if needed to cover the cost if the promotional financing deals aren't actually deals. If the terms are favorable once I make a decision, I'll go that route.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Didn't know this.

At what point would it just be easier to have it mowed. I don't know where you are located, but around here it's only like $50 to get a rectangular small lawn like that mowed. Hell 6k could pay to have it mowed for probably 10years at that rate.
    Was wondering similar actually. I may have to see about a quote just to sanity check.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Didn't know this.

FWIW, I was paying $50 to have a lot closer to half that size cut once a week and the guy I hired was whining the entire time about how bad it got in a week and was trying to sneak in 2-a-week mowings, and did once or twice, until I had time to start doing it again myself.

He was also the only guy that returned my call for regular residential mowing. So I was paying ~$300/mo for grass mowing, making it my second largest expense behind housing. I was seriously considering buying a commercial ZTR and entering the market myself.

Anyhow... :ranton:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Some of its on the dealer websites. I've seen it in a few and definitely saw promo pricing vs cash pricing of close to 10% difference when I was at the Badboy dealer.

I had not seen this typically either but have seen it occasionally on some higher dollar items like this. In any case, I'll liquidate some financial assets if needed to cover the cost if the promotional financing deals aren't actually deals. If the terms are favorable once I make a decision, I'll go that route.
    Well, I did purchase mine in 2015, so, not a good comparison.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Was wondering similar actually. I may have to see about a quote just to sanity check.
    Another one you could add to the list is the JD 355r, dealers are usually running some type of promo this time of year, and Home Depot and Lowe's also sell them. My complaint with them was a small fuel tank.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Most manufactures use Hydrogear transmissions. IIRC when I was looking, the hydrogear 3100 series was the lowest model that was still serviceable. Most manufacturers list the transmission model for each mower online and you can cross check serviceability on Hydrogear's website.

I bought a used Kubota 60" last fall. Before that I owned a Cub Cadet for about 5 years (also bought used). The Kubota is definitely a better built machine, but I really can't complain about the Cub. It was 15 years old with around 800 hours on it when I sold it, and still running strong. Other than a few spindles and replacing both non-serviceable transmissions, it was problem free.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    One other advantage I should mention about the Cub Cadets are the availability of cheap parts. Cub is owned by MTD which makes a lot of mowers under a number of names, many of which use the same parts. If you're willing to do your own work, you can get just about any part you need on eBay or amazon for substantially cheaper than the dealer. There's also a pretty substantial aftermarket for parts which helps on the price.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    One other advantage I should mention about the Cub Cadets are the availability of cheap parts. Cub is owned by MTD which makes a lot of mowers under a number of names, many of which use the same parts. If you're willing to do your own work, you can get just about any part you need on eBay or amazon for substantially cheaper than the dealer. There's also a pretty substantial aftermarket for parts which helps on the price.

Ehhh... Coming for the other end of this with my weirdo ancient Cub stuff, the factory parts are always a bazillion dollars. The new stuff may well be better, but I just paid $8 for a single cork gasket that should be about 2.

If you can get stuff from Stens or one of the other off-brands, you can usually do better than Cub. I will say their part look up service on their site is pretty good.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Most manufactures use Hydrogear transmissions. IIRC when I was looking, the hydrogear 3100 series was the lowest model that was still serviceable. Most manufacturers list the transmission model for each mower online and you can cross check serviceability on Hydrogear's website.

I bought a used Kubota 60" last fall. Before that I owned a Cub Cadet for about 5 years (also bought used). The Kubota is definitely a better built machine, but I really can't complain about the Cub. It was 15 years old with around 800 hours on it when I sold it, and still running strong. Other than a few spindles and replacing both non-serviceable transmissions, it was problem free.
    The HydroGear 2800 is the lowest with a serviceable filter.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am a Cub Cadet fan, own three; push mulcher, 30" riding mulcher and 42" ZT and no complaints. Push is for trim and the rider worked well for our medium size yard. Then we moved and bought some river property so now have a little bigger yard and 2+ acres at the river property. The river property is bordered on two sides by roads that are raised above the ground level for the bridges. Went with the steering wheel type ZT partly because of the hills and the wife tried one with the handles and did not like them. The ZT does work, if you turn the steering all the way the inside wheel goes in reverse. We will probably get rid of the small rider, don't really need it now but it does a real nice job. Jim.

Top Bottom