• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Went to the Kubota dealer, and they didn't have any 42's or 48's uncrated yet. Spent most of my time there looking at Gravely ZTRs which sounded good from the dealer (for the price of the Kubota 42, the Gravely had serviceable hydros, and 3 blades, etc, along with a Kawasaki engine). They also carry Ferris but those seemed out of my range.

Went there interested in the Kubotas and wondering if the name was worth the price. Got interested in the Gravely models based on the functional features they had.

Came home and started looking at online reviews of the Gravely's as I thought I had my mind made up on one, and see that even on their own website there are some pretty bad reviews.

Kind of back to square one, in looking at ZTRs. Thought the Gravely sounded like a win, but online reviews have me believing otherwise.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Went to the Kubota dealer, and they didn't have any 42's or 48's uncrated yet. Spent most of my time there looking at Gravely ZTRs which sounded good from the dealer (for the price of the Kubota 42, the Gravely had serviceable hydros, and 3 blades, etc, along with a Kawasaki engine). They also carry Ferris but those seemed out of my range.

Came home and started looking at online reviews of the Gravely's as I thought I had my mind made up on one, and see that even on their own website there are some pretty bad reviews.

Kind of back to square one, in looking at ZTRs. Thought the Gravely sounded like a win, but online reviews have me believing otherwise.
    I know 2 people that run a Gravely. I've never heard them complain, but they are bigger models. We only have 1 really small dealer 45min away, so there are not many around here.

Just curious, what were the complaints?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

Gravelys are being pushed by YouTube influencers recently from what I’ve seen.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I know 2 people that run a Gravely. I've never heard them complain, but they are bigger models. We only have 1 really small dealer 45min away, so there are not many around here.

Just curious, what were the complaints?
    This is the OEM website and while I guess I should be glad they actually don't delete the bad reviews, seems like an inordinate amount of bad reviews right there on the OEM website:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Reads like 2/3 of the complaints are people that don't like the Gravely's deck. That's a consistent enough complaint that I think I'd pass on it too, WS.

The flip side of that is that I didn't find a ready source for any reviews of Kubotas, other than places where everyone is going to complain (BBB, Consumer Reports, etc).

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This is the OEM website and while I guess I should be glad they actually don't delete the bad reviews, seems like an inordinate amount of bad reviews right there on the OEM website:

Wow, a boatload of those sounded like some real bad dealer set-up/service issues.

The guy with 175hrs on a 2 year old 42" is definitely using it for the wrong job. Holy cow.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wow, a boatload of those sounded like some real bad dealer set-up/service issues.

The guy with 175hrs on a 2 year old 42" is definitely using it for the wrong job. Holy cow.
    Yeah, just not sure. Was driving home thinking it would be a good choice given the features it had that others in that price range did not and now just not sure. A good bit of $$ going out on any of these to potentially end up with problems, especially since I won't be able to do much for repairs on one of these myself (nor should I have to given the $$ and warranties, etc involved). This was a dealer new to me (but been in the area since mid 70's apparently).

The dealer I purchased my self propelled mower on has done me well over the years, but the brands he had just didn't jump out at me.

Ugh.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yeah, just not sure. Was driving home thinking it would be a good choice given the features it had that others in that price range did not and now just not sure. A good bit of $$ going out on any of these to potentially end up with problems, especially since I won't be able to do much for repairs on one of these myself (nor should I have to given the $$ and warranties, etc involved). This was a dealer new to me (but been in the area since mid 70's apparently).

The dealer I purchased my self propelled mower on has done me well over the years, but the brands he had just didn't jump out at me.

Ugh.

You don't have to be married to anything. If you buy one and don't like it, move it on and try again. What's the the maximum amount of money you'd pay every month for a trouble-free ZTR experience? $100? Buying at 4 grand, toughing it if its a stinker for 2 years, and moving it on for $1500 seems easily possible.

You could also possibly take the other end of that approach and ask the dealer what late model trades they've gotten in and jump into whatever just to try the brand and the dealer out.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Ugh.
    I will say it is built with quality parts, the Kawasaki and ZT2800's are definitely better than the lower grade models. But if it has a poor deck design then there isn't much you can do with that. A three blade 42" model should definitely have enough lift to give good results. ( I'm assuming it's 3 blades from reading some reviews)

That said you don't know how those reviewers were using the mower. If you mow overgrown grass at full speed and expect perfect results that is just unrealistic.

The reason I bought a used model was I could get into commercial grade for cheaper than homeowner grade. Ask the dealer about used equipment and if they have some sort of demo program. I doubt they have a 42" demo model, but a 48" is popular enough that they might. That's one of the benefits of dealer vs big box store.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I have a Gravely ZTX 42, it's a residential model. I've had it for 4 seasons and so far no issues what so ever and it cuts nicely. If I'm using the mulch kit I have to make sure to keep the grass build up under the deck to a minimum or cut quality decreases significantly. This is partially because the wife has a tendency to cut damp grass. Mine has the Kohler engine which seems to run strong but I don't like the oil drain plug location at all. Compared to my old snapper this thing is a gas guzzler probably to be expected with all bigger engines.

You could also look at Ariens ZTR reviews, I believe are pretty much the same as Gravely just a different name.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a Gravely ZTX 42, it's a residential model. I've had it for 4 seasons and so far no issues what so ever and it cuts nicely. If I'm using the mulch kit I have to make sure to keep the grass build up under the deck to a minimum or cut quality decreases significantly. This is partially because the wife has a tendency to cut damp grass. Mine has the Kohler engine which seems to run strong but I don't like the oil drain plug location at all. Compared to my old snapper this thing is a gas guzzler probably to be expected with all bigger engines.

You could also look at Ariens ZTR reviews, I believe are pretty much the same as Gravely just a different name.
    I'm curious, where did you purchase your Gravely at & have you used the dealer to maintain it, etc?

On another note, I went and briefly looked at the Hustler models.

I''m putting together a spreadsheet on some things just so I can keep things straight.

The Hustler Raptor XD 48" looks interesting. Has Kawasaki 21.5 HP engine, ZT-2800 serviceable hydros and 3 year warranty. Pricey at about $4200 with add'l fees to get the financing promo. May have to see if I can get the fees for financing knocked off if I go this route. They have a 42 in the same model, but it's only about $100 cheaper.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm curious, where did you purchase your Gravely at & have you used the dealer to maintain it, etc?

On another note, I went and briefly looked at the Hustler models.

I''m putting together a spreadsheet on some things just so I can keep things straight.

The Hustler Raptor XD 48" looks interesting. Has Kawasaki 21.5 HP engine, ZT-2800 serviceable hydros and 3 year warranty. Pricey at about $4200 with add'l fees to get the financing promo. May have to see if I can get the fees for financing knocked off if I go this route. They have a 42 in the same model, but it's only about $100 cheaper.
    I picked it up at Keeners in Greencastle. No it hasn't been back to the dealer. I do all the maintenance, which isn't much, myself. Just oil & filter, air filter, sharpen blades, & the only grease fittings are the front wheels. My yard is easy, flat & just shy of 3/4 acre, so the mower doesn't get much of a workout.

This is my 1st ZTR and it's great for my yard that has several trees and landscape. So much easier than than driving around in circles on a tractor.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, so having done the comparisons in my spreadsheet, I'm really looking at whether I want to get into the $4k'ish range and go with the Hustler Raptor XD 48" with serviceable hydros and the Kawasaki engine at the dealer local to me (been in business a long time, but no personal experience and see some bad reviews of the dealer online, but not sure if those are the exception or the rule)

or go with the Bad Boy MZ Magnum 48" with a Kohler without the serviceable hydro's that I found at another dealer now for $$3400.

The Hustler seems to have what I think I want, of course with associated price tag. And no personal experience with that dealer.

If my dealer where I bought my current self propelled carried either of these brands that I've narrowed it to, I probably would have already been down there throwing some money at them.

Decisions, decisions.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Is your yard nice and flat or hills? I was told when I purchased mine that the cheap hydros are fine for flat yards but if you have hills it would be best to for the better hydros.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ok, so having done the comparisons in my spreadsheet, I'm really looking at whether I want to get into the $4k'ish range and go with the Hustler Raptor XD 48" with serviceable hydros and the Kawasaki engine at the dealer local to me (been in business a long time, but no personal experience and see some bad reviews of the dealer online, but not sure if those are the exception or the rule)

or go with the Bad Boy MZ Magnum 48" with a Kohler without the serviceable hydro's that I found at another dealer now for $$3400.

The Hustler seems to have what I think I want, of course with associated price tag. And no personal experience with that dealer.

If my dealer where I bought my current self propelled carried either of these brands that I've narrowed it to, I probably would have already been down there throwing some money at them.

Decisions, decisions.
    The Hustler will have a better resale if you ever decide to sell it for any reason.
    Did they have any used ones by any chance, or are you just wanting new only?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Hustler will have a better resale if you ever decide to sell it for any reason.
    Did they have any used ones by any chance, or are you just wanting new only?
    They did not. The model I was looking at in the Hustler was new for this year.

That said, I went to another dealer a little bit farther away with better online reviews by far, and went ahead and ordered the Bad Boy 48" MZ Magnum. This was a different dealer than was closest to me for the Bad Boy and actually had it cheaper on the cash price than the closer Bad Boy dealer. Kind of surprised me as mower dealers seem to be in more collusion than the gas stations or the mafia on pricing.

Honestly, had this dealer I bought from been carrying the Hustlers I might well have stepped up to that level, but after reading reviews on the only Hustler dealer in a reasonable range of me, I just couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of money at that dealer.

So the Bad Boy it is. I have an upcoming travel period that I have to do to help my folks get moved into assisted living, and it will get delivered after that.

I just spent an hour 20 minutes push mowing, so kind of glad I have one on order.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    They did not. The model I was looking at in the Hustler was new for this year.

That said, I went to another dealer a little bit farther away with better online reviews by far, and went ahead and ordered the Bad Boy 48" MZ Magnum. This was a different dealer than was closest to me for the Bad Boy and actually had it cheaper on the cash price than the closer Bad Boy dealer. Kind of surprised me as mower dealers seem to be in more collusion than the gas stations or the mafia on pricing.

Honestly, had this dealer I bought from been carrying the Hustlers I might well have stepped up to that level, but after reading reviews on the only Hustler dealer in a reasonable range of me, I just couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of money at that dealer.

So the Bad Boy it is. I have an upcoming travel period that I have to do to help my folks get moved into assisted living, and it will get delivered after that.

I just spent an hour 20 minutes push mowing, so kind of glad I have one on order.
    iu

Alright who's up next? Have you heard the good news about our lawn savior Hustler Turf?

Top Bottom