• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Was having a conversation with a friend in reference to carrying a weapon while camping or boating on Lake Monroe, and of course the legalities involved in doing such where the highlight. I explained to him my understanding is you cannot carry a weapon on Lake Monroe PERIOD unless you are a LEO. However, you can carry in most all areas of IDNR parks and National Parks as of 2010. Lake Monroe is a property of The Army Corps of Engineers, and therefore it is unlawful to carry just as it is in a US Post Office. Am I all "wet" on this or not. Input appreciated. :rolleyes:

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Gunner

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The thing is- ACoE reservoirs aren't necessarily "facilities".

And "other lawful purposes" is also the sticky wicket in and for post offices.

-J-

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    The thing is- ACoE reservoirs aren't necessarily "facilities".

And "other lawful purposes" is also the sticky wicket in and for post offices.

-J-

We have a discussion going on right now about Post Office carry, and some think the post office is a federal facility and others do not. Who knows, all they want to do is make everyone a criminal.

Gunner

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Now that is interesting news. But I won't hold my breath. It's in the 9th Circus, which means if it makes it that far up the ladder, it will revert back to the no-carry status quo. The 9th has a storied history of ludicrous and anti-freedom decisions.

We can hope for the best though, so some people don't have to keep breaking the law ;)

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Now that is interesting news. But I won't hold my breath. It's in the 9th Circus, which means if it makes it that far up the ladder, it will revert back to the no-carry status quo. The 9th has a storied history of ludicrous and anti-freedom decisions.
    I imagine it will be at leas a few years before it's argued, so at least we have a few years to carry on ACoE properties.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I imagine it will be at leas a few years before it's argued, so at least we have a few years to carry on ACoE properties.

So this injunction makes it legal for us to? I would think the feds would say, "hey, these dams are sensitive places." I fish ACoE properties a lot and would love to be allowed to carry while doing so.

Lawyers what say ye?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I didn't know this, seems ridiculous. So we can legally carry in the woods just can't get in or on the water with the carry gun?
    Yes. Just as, from my understanding, I can't carry on the Ohio River (while locking through). But whatever.

BTW, if the woods are owned by ACoE, then no-no.

Page 10 I believe

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I didn't know this, seems ridiculous. So we can legally carry in the woods just can't get in or on the water with the carry gun?

Yes. Just as, from my understanding, I can't carry on the Ohio River (while locking through). But whatever.

BTW, if the woods are owned by ACoE, then no-no.

Page 10 I believe

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

It all depends on who owns the "woods". ACoE will typically own up to a certain elevation surrounding the reservoir - kind of like a highest-of-the-high flood stage. In low-lying areas, this can be a lot of real estate between private property and ACoE zones.

In steep terrain - it may be a relatively thin strip.

Top Bottom