• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CRAWPPIE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Doing some research of Indiana carry laws and came across this site; <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Indiana>. In the site there is a section defining 'Restricted Locations' for carrying firearms in our state of Indiana. I was 'taken aback', when I read it is illegal to carry on Army Corps of Engineers property, which include Brookville Lake, Cagles Mill Lake, Cecil M. Harden Lake, J. Edward Roush Lake, Mississinewa Lake, Monroe Lake, Patoka Lake, and Salamonie Lake. Anybody out there ever heard of this odd statute...? I can't find it mentioned anywhere else on the web...
    FEED A FISH A CAT A DAY...!!!

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    COE property is Off Limits! It's just like a Military instalation. There's a sign at Roush lake that states COE property Leased to In. DNR. You can take all your guns to the Roush Range, but Carry is a NoNo. :patriot::patriot:

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    So while hunting at these locations it is illegal to carry a pistol. Very interesting. I guess you can't hunt witha pistol there.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've been checked on Brookville by the possum cops and they didn't say a thing about my .357. Hmmm, need to check into this some more.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Doing some research of Indiana carry laws and came across this site; <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Indiana>. In the site there is a section defining 'Restricted Locations' for carrying firearms in our state of Indiana. I was 'taken aback', when I read it is illegal to carry on Army Corps of Engineers property, which include Brookville Lake, Cagles Mill Lake, Cecil M. Harden Lake, J. Edward Roush Lake, Mississinewa Lake, Monroe Lake, Patoka Lake, and Salamonie Lake. Anybody out there ever heard of this odd statute...? I can't find it mentioned anywhere else on the web...
    FEED A FISH A CAT A DAY...!!!

The thing that I like best about Wikipedia is I am actually the one that added the ACoE stuff to the restricted areas since it was not there I figured a lot of people didn't know and probably would check WikiPedia... Your welcome... lol

http://iot.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1469

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You are correct. All property under the control of the ACoE is off-limits to otherwise legal carry of firearms. Note: I said firearms. Not just handguns. Only exception is for shooting ranges and hunting, or if you have permission from the ACoE.

Lots of info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...222830-army_corp_of_engineers_properties.html

US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS

Several of us have written letters, asking for permission (first link above). We were all denied, and asked to visit the property (unarmed) anyway. The ACoE just doesn't get it or care. They are the only "Public Land" agency that denies access to armed citizens (Federal Parks and other BLM properties all follow local/State laws). Only our Federal Legislature can fix this, and the bill to do so is sitting in committee. With any luck, we can get it moving again this next session.

BTW: There are other State-run properties with lakes, that are NOT controlled by ACoE. Yellowwood comes to mind, as does Eagle Creek, and several other city-owned reservoirs.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have relatives who work for the Army Corps of Engineers. Like the branches of the military, they have draconian regulations and thought processes. A memo was sent out to employees a short while back stating that they should not read the book, "No Easy Day" because it hadn't cleared security. The Corps apparently has never considered the U.S. Constitution when coming up with these bits of wisdom. It is also mind-boggling that they would consider that this literature being restricted by their employees a threat and not consider that Al Qaeda already had copies (probably already translated).

Top Bottom