• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    SUCK......BAD!
    This isn't the first time...but hopefully the last. These things WILL be the death of me!

HOLY OUCH!

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    I have had them 3 times. They are hell. I still have the last one. Should have it had taken care of. It was the size of half a grain of rice and sharp. I was down for 3 days passing that one.

Good Luck. I drank sprite and water and lots of ramen noodles to get through it.

At least the doctor gives you Vicodan. Takes the edge off but you still feel it.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    No Vicodin here. I'm allergic to it. Found out through last kidney stone I am allergic to morophine. Tylenol 3 here...and it isn't doing much. It's a hit and go pain. Every 15 minutes or so I hit the floor....This will be my 3rd day....hopefully my last!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Uhhh...

Coming from someone who understands your pain. You really need to adjust your diet.

I agree, kidney stones are deposits from your kidneys; things such as lots of Tea, soda, coffee etc will cause them.

If you're not taking in enough water your kidney's will not dilute these deposits and hence the buildup of Kidney stones.

I had them when I was 18 - hopefully never again because I'm pretty mindful about the potential of it happening again.

Stuff to avoid:
    People prone to forming calcium oxalate stones may be asked by their doctor to limit or avoid certain foods if their urine contains an excess of oxalate.
    High-oxalate foods—higher to lower

• rhubarb
    • spinach
    • beets
    • swiss chard
    • wheat germ
    • soybean crackers
    • peanuts
    • okra
    • chocolate
    • black Indian tea
    • sweet potatoes
    Foods that have medium amounts of oxalate may be eaten in limited amounts.
    Medium-oxalate foods—higher to lower

• grits
    • grapes
    • celery
    • green pepper
    • red raspberries
    • fruit cake
    • strawberries
    • marmalade
    • liver

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I drink NOTHING but water.

Chocolate is a womans enemy, or so the DR says. Dairy in general causes calcium deposits.....As much as I hate Kidney stones....I sure do love chocolate! :)

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I drink NOTHING but water.

Chocolate is a womans enemy, or so the DR says. Dairy in general causes calcium deposits.....As much as I hate Kidney stones....I sure do love chocolate! :)

Some people are more naturally prone to Kidney stones - hope you get better soon. I remember that agony and wouldn't want to go through it again.

I smoked pot for 3 days to ease the pain - it worked! Albeit my smoking days are long gone.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When you pass your stone do it though a filter and the Doctor can then send the stone to a lab and tell you what the little rock is made of.

What are kidney stones made of?
    Calcium is present in nearly all stones (80%), usually as calcium oxalate or less often as calcium phosphate.
    Struvite stones form in the presence of urine infection and are made of a mixture of calcium, ammonia and phosphate (struvite). A staghorn calculus is very large struvite stone and takes the shape of the kidney itself.
    Uric acid stones form from the substance which causes gout.
    Cystine stones are rare and occur in an inherited condition called cystinuria.

Drink drink drink (water!)
    You can half your risk of getting a second stone by simply drinking more than 2 liters of fluid per day, including drinking at night.
    Eat a healthy diet with calcium but avoid calcium supplements. A diet which is low in calcium seems to make stones more likely.
    Avoid excessive quantities of salt in the diet. .
    Particular stones like oxalate may need you to reduce the amount of oxalate in the diet. Chocolate, nuts, rhubarb, strawberries, spinach, coffee and tea are all high in oxalate. Dairy products are high in calcium.
    Gatorade is not a cure all. For every bottle of Gatorade that is consumed you should have two like size bottles of water.

Diseases causing kidney stones in patients with:
    Medullary sponge kidney, stones occur in tiny cysts formed in the kidney, giving it a sponge like appearance. In some people not being able to make the urine acid called renal tubular acidosis makes calcium phosphate stones more likely.

Long standing diarrhea, small volume of very acidic urine is produced making uric acid stones more likely

Diseases of the bowel, like Crohns disease can cause more absorption of oxalate from the bowel and make calcium oxalate stones more likely.

A rare inherited tendency to produce more oxalate (hyperoxaluria), can result in kidney stones and kidney disease in childhood and early adulthood.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I used to work security in an emergency room and by far the people in most pain were those coming in with kidney stones. Stabbings? no, accidents?, no, stones, wow!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Try taking care of a toddler by yourself when you are going through one. I hit the ground...she climbs on my back. *You sick mommy? you sad?*
    As a mother, you've got to smile and act like things are okay! It's rough!

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    The first time I had them, I went to my parents house and curled up in a ball crying until my mom decided I really did need a doctor.

I would rather be stabbed than have them, but I am addicted to salt and adult beverages which is often beam and coke. Not good fro me, but so good to me.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I work in a Urology Practice so I see people with stones all the time and I can tell you there is nothing that will make a big burly construction work cry like a little girl like kidney stones. Stone analysis is good to do if you can catch the little buggers but is not always effective in helping you adjust your diet. Heck, even adjusting your diet isn't even fullproof. Sorry to tell you that. One other thing you may look into that causes stones is the Parathyroid gland. My mother had an overactive parathyroid and it caused an over production of calcium in her body resulting in a couple stones. By the way, she told me she would much rather have another child that to ever go through that again. Above all do what your doctor tells you to do. I don't always agree with doctors but when it comes to stones they are pretty much your only hope.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I have a phobia of kidney stones, no joke. I hope you get better though cuz that's got to suck bad. Of course you could try drinking a little alcohol... haha:alcoholic:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    They are no fun. Had them about 12 years ago and the pain will often put you down on the floor. Took my sister to ER over the 4th with stones.

Take heart, Rachel, this too shall pass! ;)

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Man do those things hurt! Been into the emerency room once (first time they hit) and it took 3 shots of Morphine to "take the edge off" the pain. Been passing occasional ones about every 6-8 weeks the last 4 years. Have had broken bones and dislocated shoulders and rather have both of them at once VS going through the stones!

Top Bottom