• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Hey guys need some opinions and reviews. Looking for a sub compact for my on duty back-up gun. Don't want a wheel gun, glocks are too big for me to lug on my ankle all day. Looking for something very light yet reliable. I like the KAHR PM9 but it's way over my humble public servant pay grade. What do you think about the Kel-Tec PF-9. It's very small , light, and thin. Wondering who has one, or has shot one and what you think. Let me know. THanks.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Hey guys need some opinions and reviews. Looking for a sub compact for my on duty back-up gun. Don't want a wheel gun, glocks are too big for me to lug on my ankle all day. Looking for something very light yet reliable. I like the KAHR PM9 but it's way over my humble public servant pay grade. What do you think about the Kel-Tec PF-9. It's very small , light, and thin. Wondering who has one, or has shot one and what you think. Let me know. THanks.

For the price (PSS- $259.00 I believe). I wouldn't want to shoot it everyday, and I think the trigger pull is a little long but it wouldn't be a bad back up gun.

:cheers:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I carried one for awhile. I owned two of them and never had a problem with either one. Some people have had FTF and FTE's (even when shooting mine), but I never did when I shot them. Eventually I just started carrying my XD full time.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry one every day and I practice with it nearly every time I get to the range.

I have a hard time shooting straight with it, for some reason. The sights just don't work very well for me. I shoot it better with a laser sight. I don't miss the target or anything, but my accuracy is just not as good as it is with my other handguns.

I will probably eventually replace it with a Glock 26, even though I'll be adding some significant size when I do.

The PF9 fits nicely in my pocket. It is reliable. There is quite a bit of slack in the trigger. I think it is a decent backup gun.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Bradis seems to advertise these about as cheap as anybody around. I believe $209 in last weeks trader add. Probably worth a call if you choose to buy one.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I look at the PF9 like a weird size between the P3AT and the P11. The PF9 is too big you put in your pocket like the P3AT. But it is the same size and just slightly thinner than the P11. So for a size factor, I think the extra rounds of the double stack mag make more sense with the P11. That being said, I only own the P3AT and P11 (for the above reasons.) I can't say if the PF9 is nicer to shoot. I can shoot both the P11 and P3AT well, but I don't enjoy more than a box of rounds through them at a time. :D

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have a PF9, it has been flawless in operation with over 1000rds thru it. However, I did do the "fluff-n-buff" procedure that is posted on the Kel-tec forum before I fired it the first time.

I also just finished the "fluff-n-buff" procedure on rhino's PF9, it will now feed HPs more reliably now.

They are a decent little gun, but I have since changed my mind and have gone to a J-frame smith for a deep concealment gun and for a BUG.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was debating between the PF9, P11, Karh, and a few others for my personal carry piece.

I'm not in Law Enforcement, and only carry one handgun for self defense (legally of course with my lifetime permit :yesway:), so I probably had different criteria. I went with a Taurus PT111. Still pretty small, but big enough that my larger hands fit it a bit better, which made me feel like I'd have a bit more control. The Kel-Tecs and Khar seemed just a bit too small for me personally.

I did a bit of research when I was looking, and talked quite a bit to the owner of the shop that I ended up buying from. He said that all of the sub compact Kel-Tecs are pretty popular as back up weapons for Officers in the area. There is a bit less refinement than the slightly larger and more expensive pistols, but they are small, lightweight, and go bang when they need to. There was also the mention about the trigger pull being long, and pretty heavy.

They eventually convinced me that the Taurus was better for my needs, but it was about $100 more too. ;)

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    IMHO - Save up and buy a Kahr cw9. Don't make the mistake of buying a cheap gun, regretting it, selling it for less, and eventually buying a quality gun a year later. In the end, you'll spend less money and be much happier. Voice of experience!

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Had a PF-9. It was a good gun, I liked it but I thought it was kind of big to carry in pocket. After getting my LCP I decided I liked it better for a BUG so I sold my PF-9.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is my impression after shooting mine:

1. It's surprisingly easy to shoot and control. I was expecting the kind of discomfort you get from an airweight j-frame, but it's nothing like that. It's actually pleasurable to shoot.

2. It's surprisingly accurate. I can hit very easily with either hand or both at 7 yards, even though the long trigger pull is foreign to me.

3. My only complaint was that mine functioned fine with FMJ, but choked with JHPs. Thanks to my friend Craig, it now works with carry ammo, so all is well in Denmark.

4. It feels much better in my pocket than a j-frame because it's flatter.

Let me add this about Kahr pistols. I have fired exactly one of them (2-3 magazine fulls), the larger polymer framed version. I could barely hit an IPSC target shooting it at 10 yards. I'm not talking bad groups, I'm talking I couldn't keep a full magazine on the paper. It had more felt recoil than the cheap, tiny Kel-Tec PF9 too. I don't know whether my problem was the crappy Kahr trigger or something else, but it justs didn't work for me. I suppose I could have spent a few hours with it instead of a few magazines, to improve, but why bother?

The Kel-Tec is great for when you can't carry a real gun or as a second, third, or fourth carry gun to complement anything else you carry.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Here is my impression after shooting mine:

1. It's surprisingly easy to shoot and control. I was expecting the kind of discomfort you get from an airweight j-frame, but it's nothing like that. It's actually pleasurable to shoot.

2. It's surprisingly accurate. I can hit very easily with either hand or both at 7 yards, even though the long trigger pull is foreign to me.

3. My only complaint was that mine functioned fine with FMJ, but choked with JHPs. Thanks to my friend Craig, it now works with carry ammo, so all is well in Denmark.

4. It feels much better in my pocket than a j-frame because it's flatter.

Let me add this about Kahr pistols. I have fired exactly one of them (2-3 magazine fulls), the larger polymer framed version. I could barely hit an IPSC target shooting it at 10 yards. I'm not talking bad groups, I'm talking I couldn't keep a full magazine on the paper. It had more felt recoil than the cheap, tiny Kel-Tec PF9 too. I don't know whether my problem was the crappy Kahr trigger or something else, but it justs didn't work for me. I suppose I could have spent a few hours with it instead of a few magazines, to improve, but why bother?

The Kel-Tec is great for when you can't carry a real gun or as a second, third, or fourth carry gun to complement anything else you carry.

You need to come over and shoot my Kahr PM40, it is more accurate than my Glocks are (they shoot nice) and the recoil seems less than my Glock 33 too.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Shoot me an email sometime when you get a free weekend and we'll blast a few rounds. You know where I live don't you? 2 houses south of Noggle's on the east side.

Top Bottom