• ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have a PF9, it has been flawless in operation with over 1000rds thru it. However, I did do the "fluff-n-buff" procedure that is posted on the Kel-tec forum before I fired it the first time.
    So it sounds like this Fluff-n-buff" is a must-do procedure for a PF-9 or does it just depend? I have a new one that I haven't shot yet and am wondering if I should do that before I put any JHP through it (or just shoot it and see if it chokes and then do it if needed).

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    So it sounds like this Fluff-n-buff" is a must-do procedure for a PF-9 or does it just depend? I have a new one that I haven\'t shot yet and am wondering if I should do that before I put any JHP through it (or just shoot it and see if it chokes and then do it if needed).

It depends. The biggest thing is any machining that would restrict the slide. I like to manually work the slide 100-200 times on a new pistol. This polishes any pieces that would slow the slide down and cause jamming. It is cheaper than the equivalent rounds in ammo. Then the only thing to worry about is if the feed ramp needs polished to feed ammo. I shoot the ammo I want first, before bothering with it. My P3AT feed hard ball and Gold-Dots with no problems right out of the gate.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    So it sounds like this Fluff-n-buff" is a must-do procedure for a PF-9 or does it just depend? I have a new one that I haven't shot yet and am wondering if I should do that before I put any JHP through it (or just shoot it and see if it chokes and then do it if needed).

I've got a PF-9 that I've shot several hundred rounds out of without doing a fuff-n-buff, I think it all depends on the gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shoot me an email sometime when you get a free weekend and we'll blast a few rounds. You know where I live don't you? 2 houses south of Noggle's on the east side.

I didn't before, but I do now! Are you friends with them too?

They're some of the best people I've ever met. I am honored and blessed to be friends with that family. Maybe I'll come by for a visit and stop by your place too (with prior notification, of course!).

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    I didn't before, but I do now! Are you friends with them too?

They're some of the best people I've ever met. I am honored and blessed to be friends with that family. Maybe I'll come by for a visit and stop by your place too (with prior notification, of course!).

They are great people, all my neighbors are great. The mother of the family across the street (next one down from Noggles) sells jerky at a lot of the gun shows. My other neighbors are my mom & dad on one side and my sister and brother-in-law on the other. They all shoot shady looking people on site.:D Everyone around me shoots firearms.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I read considerations of the P-11. Be very careful here. I owned one and quickly sold it. It will hurt your hand at the range after about 15-20 shots. Not a big deal if it's just a BUG though. The trickier part is what generation the P11 is. If it's the newer gen, you should be good to go, but I would still send it in for the F&B treatment to be safe. The OLDER generation P11 is a different story. Mine, and many like mine, did have big problems with FTF. I don't limpwrist my pistols either! LOL Also, I paid about 250 for mine not knowing it was the older Gen, come to find out it was the older and had to settle selling it for 150. Just my experiance. For those that choose the P11 I hope your luck was better than mine!

FWIW, I've heard way more good things about the PF9 than bad.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I had a P-11 for a number of years, and it sure wasn't fun at the range. I bought a HiPoint C-9 for the range, and an M&P 9c to carry. I still think I want to go to something smaller to carry, and have been thinking about the PF-9 also. How about felt recoil? I hate guns that bang your hand around like the P-11 did.

How's the recoil with the PF-9?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay . . . I'm going to amend my comments from before.

I test fired my PF9 this afternoon for the first time since BigCraig polished the feedramp. It was the second session firing the gun ever.

It does work better now. Carig said it worked perfectly with his Hornady TAP 147gr, which I don't doubt. I think its overall shape is very similar to FMJ.

It does not function 100% with the jacketed hollow point ammo I tried today. It does work better, though. Before it would not feed even one round after firing what was in the chamber. Now it will feed 2-3 before having a feedway stoppage. The ammo I tried was Speer Gold Dot 124gr, Georgia Arms loaded with the same 124 Gold Dot, but +P, and some unidentified Remington JHP.

So function is better, but nowhere near good enough. It still feeds FMJ without any problems, but it should feed any factory 9mm. It's going back to Kel-Tec.

Now, I also have to retract or at least qualify my comments about pleasant the gun is to shoot. It is pleasant to shoot . . . with Remington/UMC 115gr FMJ. With the Gold Dots, especially the +P loads, not so much. In fact, it hurt with the latter. Even Coach said it felt like the gun was coming out of his hand.

Another weird thing happened while another fellow was firing it. A part that normally stays inside of the frame/slide rails protruded and locked the slide. I need to look in my manual and examine the pistol to tell what the part is, but I don't think it was supposed to emerge as it did (through the slot where slide lock goes).

So fare I am becoming less enamored of the PF9. If I get a gun back from Kel-Tec that functions properly with any factor 9mm I choose to shoot, then I'll be happy. Otherwise ... not so much.

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I would have a hard time trusting my life to a gun that has a service life of 6,000 rounds.

Q : What is the expected life of a Kel-Tec firearm
    A : All Kel-Tec firearms have an expected life of 6,000 rounds or more.

Kel Tec

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would have a hard time trusting my life to a gun that has a service life of 6,000 rounds.
    Depends on what you want. All Kel-Tec pistols are revolutionary in their power per size/weight ratio and cost. I enjoy shooting 200 rounds out of my Glock. I cannot say that I would enjoy shooting 200 rounds out of my P11 or P3AT. However, there are times where a Glock is far to big to bring along and a P3AT is not. Kel-Tec has also proven their no nonsense, lifetime warranty. They are a good value in my opinion.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Depends on what you want. All Kel-Tec pistols are revolutionary in their power per size/weight ratio and cost. I enjoy shooting 200 rounds out of my Glock. I cannot say that I would enjoy shooting 200 rounds out of my P11 or P3AT. However, there are times where a Glock is far to big to bring along and a P3AT is not. Kel-Tec has also proven their no nonsense, lifetime warranty. They are a good value in my opinion.
    Agreed!!! There is always a trade-off between weight and durability in most everything. I'd rather have that mindset and be carrying a lightweight "non-workhorse" pistol in the time of need than have the other mindset and not be able to carry my good-ol' 4 pound battle-proved "tank" and have the very same need. :rockwoot: :yesway: :patriot:
    :cheers:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

Q : What is the expected life of a Kel-Tec firearm
    A : All Kel-Tec firearms have an expected life of 6,000 rounds or more.

Kel Tec

Well as long as you haven't got to the 6,000 round mark your ok. :D

What if you have only shot 750 rounds, would you trust it? Cause you've still good for another 5,250 rounds.

thirty cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Well as a person that has carried and will continue to carry my p-11 as a back up gun. I wore it in an ankle holster, just put it my pocket, or off duty would carry it IWB when I did not want to carry my full size. The gun met all of the requirements of a back up/off duty gun.

The gun is light weight. I personally like the trigger pull. You have to want it to go off this is especially nice when carrying in a pocket with out a holster. No body wants a home brew vasectomy:D. It also has a restrike capability ulike glocks or Khars. I have fired over 500 rnds of WWB with no malfuctions of any kind. Of course I had to fire strong hand, weak hand, sideways and upside down, from the hip and half extended. The only difference that I had from my regular duty weapon was a 15 yrd range instead of a 25yrd. It has decent accuracy at 15 yrds. I even managed a 6" pattern at 25 yrds. :rockwoot:

Just remember Kel-tec does not make target pistols. Kel-tecs are very unpopular with the Kool kids so as we see here there is the typical gun snobbery. Almost all of my fellow officers had at least one kel-tec for back up, under cover, or off duty (at least the ones that shot their weapons more than once a year that is).

I am sure that you can find an officer on your force that has one you can shoot to see if you like it before you buy one. If you like it carry one if not don't. Just fire a few hundred rounds through it. All guns are machines and all machines can malfuction. Otherwise you department would not have any glock armorers. My first issue weapon was a glock 19 and it would not feed hollow points right out of the box untill the armorer worked it over and replaced the recoil spring. So yes even the (Gods gift to shooters:rolleyes:) can malfuction right out of the box.

Just remember that a nice or expensive pistol left at home in a drawer, because it is uncomfortable to carry, will get you killed far more quikly than the less expensive easier to carry and just as reliable gun on you ankle, pocket, or even an extra cuff case.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm still in shock over how much it cost to send it back to KEL-TEC via UPS vs. the value of the gun.

I should have waited and had an FFL mail it for me.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    It also has a restrike capability ulike glocks or Khars.

This is not true.

Once the trigger has been pulled on a Kel-tec PF-9, the slide MUST be cycled to reset the trigger, just like a Glock and/or a Kahr. (Although, none of the guns mentioned require a FULL cycle of the slide to reset the trigger)

The definition of "restrike capable" is the function of the a striker/hammer release everytime the trigger is pulled regardless if the weapon cycles.

sam2007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    I read many less than positive reviews of the PF9 but ultimately choose to purchase one last summer. Mine has been a consistently reliable, yet economical concealed carry weapon. The slim profile makes it incredibly easy to carry every day, regardless of attire. From shorts and t shirts, to sport coats, my PF9 comfortably goes with me pretty much everywhere. Further, before I came to rely on it as a mainstay I put several hundred rounds through it at the MSCC. Neither during this time, nor during my weekly shoots since have I experienced a single failure. In fact I have attempted to induce a failure via “limp wristing” the pistol and have been unable to do so. While this is not the first handgun I would choose for uniform carry, for my money it first the bill perfectly as an all around great concealed carry piece.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I read many less than positive reviews of the PF9 but ultimately choose to purchase one last summer. Mine has been a consistently reliable, yet economical concealed carry weapon. The slim profile makes it incredibly easy to carry every day, regardless of attire. From shorts and t shirts, to sport coats, my PF9 comfortably goes with me pretty much everywhere. Further, before I came to rely on it as a mainstay I put several hundred rounds through it at the MSCC. Neither during this time, nor during my weekly shoots since have I experienced a single failure. In fact I have attempted to induce a failure via “limp wristing” the pistol and have been unable to do so. While this is not the first handgun I would choose for uniform carry, for my money it first the bill perfectly as an all around great concealed carry piece.

Good reviewl!!!

And ..... :welcome: to INGO!!!! :rockwoot: :yesway: :patriot:
    :cheers:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I love my PF9. Purchased from Bradis early December, It's been great thru about 400 rounds. I am not hugely experienced with handguns, so I don't know if it kicks more than normal or not. I like shooting it, and once I hit the mold marks with some 400-grit sandpaper, nor more hand pain.

I don't have my permit yet, so I don't know how it is to carry. I will be trying jeans pocket and inside of my belt with a belt-clip holster of some sort (still haven't decided on one.)

At first I consistently shot low with it - but I was flinching and pushing it down. Purchasing some A-zoom 9mm snap caps and practicing aiming and pulling the trigger solved that problem. Now I know where the trigger breaks, and can consistently "set" the trigger about halfway, aim, fire instead of trying to hold aim thru the entire 9lb trigger pull.

Top Bottom