• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    You don't have to go and buy an expensive kayak for fishing. We got 2 from Dunhams for about $180-$200 a piece. You can buy the rod holders, paddle holders, foot braces etc and install them yourself. A good anchor cost about $35 and comes in handy. I have a chepo sit in Pelican kayak that works great for lakes and rivers. Another good investment is aqua shoes. The shoes come in handy for portaging and when you want to fish outside of the kayak.

QFT

I got a Pelican pulse for like 180, put 40 bucks worth of add ons, and it works great.

Got a scotty rod holder, paddle locks, made a guide setup for a 1.5lb river type bow anchor, and made 2 more tiedowns with bungee rope and plastic eyes.
    IMG_20120628_115707_zpsda27426f.jpg

I lucked out and happen to know one of the Gallions, who gave me a rather nice paddle that he had laying around, so that saved me a ton..

Heres how she sits..(Ive since moved the paddle locks to allow the paddle to lay lengthways on my left side)
    IMG_20120628_114931_zps22e939ec.jpg

I dont let living in a top floor apartment stop me from having it either.. I made a gantry and double pulley system. Getting her back up there takes no effort at all.
    IMG_20120409_102443_zps7555e8e2.jpg

Last edited:

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Nice setup danielson. Love the pulley system. I like the paddle lock. I just have 2 eyelets with a hook and a little bungee. I'm seriously thinking about getting a paddle board this year to try with my fly fishing.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    If you are 6'2", I would definitely go for a twelve footer. A buddy of mine that is about the same height, borrowed a 10 foot for and overnight trip, and was very cramped.

As for brand, I like my cheap old Pelican sit in, it is about half the weight of my other friend’s Ascend, and a 1/3 of the price; it works just as good though, even better if you have to drag it over or around a log jamb.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Man thats sweet I might have to try and track one of those down.

I noticed that ascend makes a 10 foot angler that is a couple inches wider than the 12 I wan't to say it's 31 wide as opposed to 12's 29.
    As far as brand is the Ascend a decent kayak?
    I found a pair used last year. They are not that hard to find. Then I sold them before I ever used them.

I may try this if they still have them in stock next time I am up there. Then 20 miles past their shop is the St. Croix factory and they sell factory blemish rods at the factory store so it may be an expensive trip.
    http://www.thecrazyloon.com/products-page/old-town-kayaks/2013-old-town-camden-120-factory-second/

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Cant wait till it warms up abit.. I want to put in at Lieber SRA and fish the areas there where mill creek meets the lake, and paddle down to the lower falls. Be a good fishing trip.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have fished using a sit on and sit in Kayak on Blue River. For shallow rivers I prefer a sit on short 10-12' kayak. They're easier to maneuver in shallow water. If you get hug up on some shallow ground you have a better chance I pushing yourself off the gravel in a shorter kayak (less friction). A sit on is easier to get out of and back on in those situations as well.

Just FYI. You can rent a sit on kayak from cave country canoes in Milltown indiana and try it out first.

tfouty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    The ascend 12 is a nice boat, lots of accesories for the price. A good friend just purchased one from bass pro. I have fished out of both styles and a couple different lengths. First kayak was a sit inside old town otter. A little difficult to get in and out, storage was decent, but difficult to get to items. Very dry ride, especially in cold water. I think it was a 8-9 ft. kayak. Then I got a ocean kayak frenzy, sit on top, it was made for scuba diving. The rear storage area was molded for a air tank. Has a large keel for ocean use. I added a milk crate and a couple of rod holders, length was 9 ft. Fun kayak, stable, handled tight areas well. Downside was using on shallow creeks, keel was too big, it rubbed on bottom, and then the kayak became unsteady. Open water was tough to keep straight. Limited storage area. Then I came across a ocean kayak prowler trident 13. It was used and in my price range. This is a great boat, lots of storage, very comfy, easy to access your gear. It tracks very well and is much faster than my two previous smaller and lighter kayaks. A little more difficult to load on top a car, sticks way out of a short bed truck. I have used it on shallow creeks, I think it will handle shallow water better than smaller models. Even though it weighs more, It has more surface area for floatation. I can sit "side saddle" and cool off while fishing. You might consider the 14 over the 12 base on your height and weight. I think I would pass on the 10. I would have purchased the Ascend had I not found the used prowler trident.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Took the yak to Big Blue river last weekend. Got burned through the SPF70, only caught a smallie, and got into a predicament with my anchor and braided line both managing to get hung up, but it was beautiful.

IMG_20130712_134132_zps4da707f2.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just started kayak fishing but the solution to being hung up is simple. You add a large float to the anchor line, then if you need to dump it, you can retrieve it by finding the float. The more I read AND do, the more I see it is important to able to dump the anchor.

Top Bottom