• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Took my kids to the Lego store today and there were a couple of cops with their pupper walking around the mall.

He was VERY interested in my right leg, and the cops asked if I was carrying.

I wasn't, today, but it hit me that my holster in my car is right against that leg. So one hand, pretty neat that a dog's sense of smell is that good, on the other ... has this been a thing for a while, or just recently? It's been a year or so since I've been to Castleton Square.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Took my kids to the Lego store today and there were a couple of cops with their pupper walking around the mall.

I wasn't, today, but it hit me that my holster in my car is right against that leg. So one hand, pretty neat that a dog's sense of smell is that good, on the other ... has this been a thing for a while, or just recently? It's been a year or so since I've been to Castleton Square.
    That IS where I keep my Beggin Strips for my dog, so maybe he smells those? LOL

And probably new since all the shootings. If you cant use metal detectors, use dogs that sniff for guns and explosives.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Would have been interesting to see what the reaction would have been if you said "yes." "Cool Mall Cops" who say, "Cool, armed citizen," or AH private contract security who trespasses you.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Castleton has been doing this for a while as it was on the news shortly after the greenwood shooting.

Greenwood as far as I know is new to the program as we saw a dog last week for the first time.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    There are trained explosive detection handlers working for Allied Universal Security at the malls. They are trained and certified with an extensive program. As a former bomb dog handler myself,
    I know a couple of them and I know one of the folks who went to the private sector to go train them. They have some pretty good dogs from what I hear.

Simon malls are posted for no firearms so private security will ask you to leave if found with a firearm. Regular trespassing rules apply.

Ultimately, I’m not a fan because it was duly apparent that somebody who could take care of business was needed at Greenwood a while back. And as a former mall security supervisor (I know..hey it was college) I know the rules and limitations. I just hate that this is the game that needs to be played now.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I still believe the best deterrent is following the law and prosecuting to the fullest, no deals on bail or sentence for those who break any gun laws.
    Too bad that idiot prosecutor in Marion County cannot understand these basic tenets of a prosecutor’s job! Just imagine the lives that could be saved or injuries averted just in Marion County. :nono:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I still believe the best deterrent is following the law and prosecuting to the fullest, no deals on bail or sentence for those who break any gun laws.
    Yes, I agree as I think I understand how you mean it. I have never seen a mall that did not have a "no firearms" sticker on the door. Unfortunately, the corrupt justice system would rather ruin your life for practicing your Constitutional right to carry past the little sticker, than to keep the streets safe.

Some puke from Chicago was arrested in Tippecanoe county for a crime. He was a felon using a Glock with an auto switch. The weak willed prosecutor decided to drop the firearms charges, and pretty much slap his wrist.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, I agree as I think I understand how you mean it. I have never seen a mall that did not have a "no firearms" sticker on the door. Unfortunately, the corrupt justice system would rather ruin your life for practicing your Constitutional right to carry past the little sticker, than to keep the streets safe.

Some puke from Chicago was arrested in Tippecanoe county for a crime. He was a felon using a Glock with an auto switch. The weak willed prosecutor decided to drop the firearms charges, and pretty much slap his wrist.

No, I got it suppressed because it was a bad stop. Pat did not dismiss, Rokita did after I kept calling the DAG and telling her what a pile of nothing she had. Walter was never involved in the Theft. The Theft was a cover story by LPD who never investigated but needed a better reason was stopping him than "he looked at me."

(Fave part of motion to suppress: LPD starts to realize what was going on and blurted out "it wasn't because he was black." I responded "I never asked about race", it got real quiet in the courtroom, lol).

He looked at the police while waiting for an Uber, not a valid traffic stop. Prosecutor fought it, MCE shot down, Pat called the AG and they made me wait months while Todd the Rod screwed around.

I know the article says "defense attorneys" but it was just me. Pat dropped nothing, just more LE gaslighting to attempt to re-write history. Bleh!
    Here's the order from the Court of Appeals dismissing it. I KNEW Harrington would attempt to say he dismissed and saved the taxpayers money. Just knew he would do that so I took a photo.

1708276157897.png

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    No, I got it suppressed because it was a bad stop. Pat did not dismiss, Rokita did after I kept calling the DAG and telling her what a pile of nothing she had.

He looked at the police while waiting for an Uber, not a valid traffic stop. Prosecutor fought it, MCE shot down, Pat called the AG and they made me wait months while Todd the Rod screwed around.

I know the article says "defense attorneys" but it was just me. Pat dropped nothing, just more LE gaslighting to attempt to re-write history. Bleh!

Good luck on your search for plaintiffs.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There are trained explosive detection handlers working for Allied Universal Security at the malls. They are trained and certified with an extensive program. As a former bomb dog handler myself,
    I know a couple of them and I know one of the folks who went to the private sector to go train them. They have some pretty good dogs from what I hear.

Simon malls are posted for no firearms so private security will ask you to leave if found with a firearm. Regular trespassing rules apply.

Ultimately, I’m not a fan because it was duly apparent that somebody who could take care of business was needed at Greenwood a while back. And as a former mall security supervisor (I know..hey it was college) I know the rules and limitations. I just hate that this is the game that needs to be played now.
    Thanks for the post, and this is unfortunate. Basically what this means is, the kid from Columbus should have left his gun in the car, and Greenwood mall should have relied on "quality control sampling" from a dood with a dogg to stop that shooting.

Just wait until the cost of electronic gun detection systems comes down to less than what it costs to train and pay canines and their handlers. Concealed Carry America is going to get a Red Pill.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No, I got it suppressed because it was a bad stop. Pat did not dismiss, Rokita did after I kept calling the DAG and telling her what a pile of nothing she had. Walter was never involved in the Theft. The Theft was a cover story by LPD who never investigated but needed a better reason was stopping him than "he looked at me."

(Fave part of motion to suppress: LPD starts to realize what was going on and blurted out "it wasn't because he was black." I responded "I never asked about race", it got real quiet in the courtroom, lol).

The state must be kept on the shortest chain possible and be made to prove its case by the book.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The state must be kept on the shortest chain possible and be made to prove its case by the book.
    The cop was young (they can have beards now, but he was still 12) and got scope-locked. No reason to run down the hill and get one when he could have walked.

He could have played pass the baton. He could have taken a photo. He could have been smart and went consensual. Could have done a myriad of things rather than rush his shot and walk face first into an attorney with 29 years of seeing their hijinks.

Pat isn't training LPD obviously. He has given up on the city (e.g. not prosecuting crimes like Criminal Trespass downtown) and only services wealthy neighborhoods in Lafayette or the giant McMansion farms outside city limits.

J

JesusFreak

This conversation is very disappointing. They claim to be doing this under the guise of safety because of the greenwood mall shooting while completely ignoring the fact that a CCW citizen stopped more people from being hurt by neutralizing the threat many minutes before the police arrived. Hell, Marion county is currently looking at 30 seconds or more of hold time on average before you even talk to an operator. An armed citizen can neutralize an active shooter before you even reach a dispatcher.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This conversation is very disappointing. They claim to be doing this under the guise of safety because of the greenwood mall shooting while completely ignoring the fact that a CCW citizen stopped more people from being hurt by neutralizing the threat many minutes before the police arrived. Hell, Marion county is currently looking at 30 seconds or more of hold time on average before you even talk to an operator. An armed citizen can neutralize an active shooter before you even reach a dispatcher.
    100% with you. The Risk-Mitigation / Pacifist / Nonconfrontational philosophy increasingly embraced by Capitalist America believes improving technological options to completely deny guns from an area to begin with, is the best practice in the long term. Risk Mitigation / Pacifist / Nonconfrontational America does not want to rely on Good People confronting Bad People. It does not want the profitability of its operations to even rely on the existence of Good People - period. It just wants to see All People as Customers. To Corporate America (and its lawyers), letting Bad People in, then relying on Good People to stop them, is 1) Reactive in nature, and 2) prone to fail. They will choose gun-detection all day long, because it represents "proactive prevention" and less potential for lawsuits, in their mind.

Sniffing Punks with Dogs is going to have potential for confrontation, and Corporate Lawyers don't want that, so a better solution is needed. The hybrid Millimeter Wave / AI photographic analysis methods are still a long way from being practical, with high cost and lots of failures to detect. So we're going with Doggies until that system can be brought to technical accuracy/cost fruition.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for the post, and this is unfortunate. Basically what this means is, the kid from Columbus should have left his gun in the car, and Greenwood mall should have relied on "quality control sampling" from a dood with a dogg to stop that shooting.

Just wait until the cost of electronic gun detection systems comes down to less than what it costs to train and pay canines and their handlers. Concealed Carry America is going to get a Red Pill.

IDK, I almost wish I'd been carrying to see how they'd have reacted. They were both pretty chill.

Top Bottom