• CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    November 10, 2009 12:01 AM

Posted by Declan McCullagh

In a case that raises questions about online journalism and privacy rights, the U.S. Department of Justice sent a formal request to an independent news site ordering it to provide details of all reader visits on a certain day.

The grand jury subpoena also required the Philadelphia-based Indymedia.us Web site "not to disclose the existence of this request" unless authorized by the Justice Department, a gag order that presents an unusual quandary for any news organization.

Kristina Clair, a 34-year old Linux administrator living in Philadelphia who provides free server space for Indymedia.us, said she was shocked to receive the Justice Department's subpoena. (The Independent Media Center is a left-of-center amalgamation of journalists and advocates that – according to their principles of unity and mission statement – work toward "promoting social and economic justice" and "social change.")

The subpoena (PDF) from U.S. Attorney Tim Morrison in Indianapolis demanded "all IP traffic to and from www.indymedia.us" on June 25, 2008. It instructed Clair to "include IP addresses, times, and any other identifying information," including e-mail addresses, physical addresses, registered accounts, and Indymedia readers' Social Security Numbers, bank account numbers, credit card numbers, and so on.

"I didn't think anything we were doing was worthy of any (federal) attention," Clair said in a telephone interview with CBSNews.com on Monday. After talking to other Indymedia volunteers, Clair ended up calling the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco, which represented her at no cost.

read the rest here:
    Justice Dept. Asked For News Site's Visitor Lists - Taking Liberties - CBS News

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hmm I wonder what flavor of tyrany we can expect to experience sometime soon.

EFF I don't know how good they are at what they do, but it's good to know they're there.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Another power Obama promised he would not use: the investigation letters that seal the defendant from telling anyone about the letter (presumably even a lawyer).

I told my liberal friends it would happen.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Shrugged-Ayn-Rand/dp/0451191145"] ATLAS SHRUGGED[/ame].

It was written as a warning to the US people, but its clearly being used as an instruction manual by the left to destroy this nation.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Rights

One of my arguments in support of the 2nd Amendment is this: If the 2nd Amendment is not an individual right, it follows that none of the others are individual rights either!

I always followed the above argument with the statement I don't think they want to open that can of worms. Maybe I'm wrong about that!

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    how long till ingo gets a letter asking for all our ip addressing after a fatal shooting?

i especially cant believe they were told to be hush hush about it. how many bill of rights do they want to violate how many times? thats rediculous.

Top Bottom