• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Wow, what a terrible range day! :(

I was shooting a zombie target at my local, and favorate, indoor range with Svetlana, my Mosin Nagant 91/30. I had shot a few clips with no more fanfare than usual. Shoot a round, lower the rifle, pull bolt back, charge a round, aim, and fire. Well, this time I lowered the rifle to get some leverage on the bolt. I pushed the bolt forward and then, holding the knob like you would a motorcycle handle, I pushed down to lock the bolt and BOOM!!!!!!!!:ar15:

The rifle went off while I was treating it like it was loaded and aimed down range, i was pointed down range at a target, my fingers were on the bolt and not! the trigger, and I was sure that the bullet trap and wall behind it were ok. Needless to say, I was scared ****-less. I am a new shooter and had no idea this could happen. The bullet went into the ceiling that was steel plated.

The first thing that I could think of was the firing pin maybe sticking out? I had the store gunsmith take a look at everything and he could not reproduce the scenario while inspecting it. I have taken the bolt apart a few times to clean cosmoline and surplus ammo powder.

The only thing that I have noticed different was that the trigger pull decreased significantly over the last few weeks. The trigger weighed in around 3lbs pull. The gunsmith said the sear looked rounded and that was usually a desired attribute to a gun, but how would it lighten up on it's own?

To make things worse, I was trying out my new Peltor Electronic earmuffs that I picked up. I could not get a good fitting seal and my ears were a bit ringy after the trip. I shot mostly .22 with about 15 rounds in the Mosin. It didn't sound deafening or painful, but I noticed some discomfort when I took them off. I went back to plugs after. I also had a crappy time dealing with my junk black dog 50 round drum for the 10/22. I tried tightening the spring to stop the jams but the thing will not feed right. Back to Midway for it to pay for the tech sights that just came in.

PHEW! /rant off

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Unpossible!

I read that on this Internet gun expurt forum called INGO that this cannot happen. So, good news for you, that did not happen.

Ok, seriously, it happens. A lot more the the Deniers ("I've been around guns all my leye-ef") will ever admit as they do not wish to think about their own gun handling.

1. Eez gon, eez not safe.

2. Gun's only got one job.

3. It's a snake, it will bite you.

4. Every time, every single time you load or unload this can happen.

5. Four Rules are life.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You need to cover your ears. Sound is conducted along the bones as well. Cover your ears and you will be much happier in the year 2035.

Need yourself of the mini-mall ninja mags for the 10/22. If you must have that silliness be prepared to shell out the money for the gear that runs.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Sounds like the trigger/sear were maybe shaken during your bolt movement, and maybe because of the angle you were holding it at the time? 3lbs is very light. I'd try shaking the heck out of it while slamming the bolt (unloaded of course) forward and see if the firing pin drops. I think replacing the sear is a good idea even if you cannot reproduce.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    From what I am reading, the firing pin cannot stick, but if the sear is messed up then it will not stop the firing pin from coming forward. I am taking the trigger group apart tonight to check if the sear spring is not holding or if the sear is as rounded as I was told. I may be looking for a new action for this rifle soon. I have some work in the stock refinishing it.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    This is one of those $99 rifles, right?

Indoors is always seems louder. I always use foamies AND Peltors, even when outside. If I could figure out how to get a third layer in there, I'd do that too.

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Look at the sear spring just ahead of the retaining screw. Mine had a stress crack at that point and caused the same reduced trigger pull and then loss of firing pin retention. I luckily noticed while dry firing that something was not right with the reduced trigger pull and would not load it till i found out what. Took almost 2 weeks of intermittent firing pin protusions and lots of bolt cycling before the sear spring broke

James

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Was this really an "Accidental Discharge"?

Mechanical devices, even Svetlana as beautiful as she is, are prone to failure, hence the 4 rules.

I seen no information in your post that would make me say this was an accident or negligent discharge on your part. You were treating the rifle as it was loaded, it was pointed in a safe down range direction, you knew your target, and your finger was not on the trigger.

Occasionally things like this happen, which is why the 4 rules are so important.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    thats not uncommon for a nagant. a buddy of mine had one blow up in his hands once when closing the bolt it went BANG. I sold mine right after that

he still has shrapnel in his hand from it

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's an accident because HE DIDN'T INTEND for it to happen, yet was not negligent. There was no ill consequences because HE FOLLOWED THE RULES.

I suspect the trigger is loose or sear angle is changed. It would be worth removing the stock and checking the trigger screw (a little blue loctite is a good idea) and looking to see if Bubba changed the geometry.

But, if this happened once and can't be reproduced, well, "Is gun, is not safe" and keep shooting.

FTR, I had a Rem 700 do this.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    thats not uncommon for a nagant. a buddy of mine had one blow up in his hands once when closing the bolt it went BANG. I sold mine right after that

he still has shrapnel in his hand from it

I'd say you wrong - it is uncommon. Personally, I've never heard it happening. I've never had trouble with any on mine. I've never seen this happen at the range where there's MN, next to MN, next to MN firing.

Maybe a serious collector like MillerTime can comment on this...

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    This is one of those $99 rifles, right?

Indoors is always seems louder. I always use foamies AND Peltors, even when outside. If I could figure out how to get a third layer in there, I'd do that too.

You can always put cotton or a rolled Kleenex in the Peltors... May not make too much sound difference in reality, but during the summer my ears sweat under the gear and it works as an absorbent...

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    It's an accident because HE DIDN'T INTEND for it to happen, yet was not negligent. There was no ill consequences because HE FOLLOWED THE RULES.

I suspect the trigger is loose or sear angle is changed. It would be worth removing the stock and checking the trigger screw (a little blue loctite is a good idea) and looking to see if Bubba changed the geometry.

But, if this happened once and can't be reproduced, well, "Is gun, is not safe" and keep shooting.

FTR, I had a Rem 700 do this.

That is the best advice that I have ever heard along with checking for a weak/cracked sear spring. I was asked multiple times by the gunsmith if anyone had worked on the gun. I think he was looking for a trigger that was lightened by some yahoo. I don't wanna get rid of Svetlana...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is the best advice that I have ever heard along with checking for a weak/cracked sear spring. I was asked multiple times by the gunsmith if anyone had worked on the gun. I think he was looking for a trigger that was lightened by some yahoo. I don't wanna get rid of Svetlana...

There are two bad ways to rework a MN trigger:

1. Bend it so the sear barely engages
    2. Grind down the sear such that the mating surfaces are round and not square.
    There's one way to rework a trigger properly:

1. carefully grind down the trigger such that the mating surfaces are matched, yet still has a sharp edge. The Finn's were masters at this.
    There's plenty of tutorial guides to taking off the stock so you can inspect the trigger.

As for the sear, you can inspect it by cocking your unloaded gun and then slowly pulling the trigger while watching the cocking knob. On a stock Russian MN, you'll see the cocking knob go backwards before the sear disengages and fires. That backward travel makes the trigger pull heavier, and, what matters to you, is a modest reassurance that the trigger should be stock.

Top Bottom