• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cops to judge: No. Judge to cops: Return it or I'll find you in contempt.

:popcorn:

I can't wait to see how this one ends up. I'd really like to see the cops cave and give the man his weed back, it would set a whole new precedent for how they're supposed to actually handle things. Then again, another part of me wants to see them be douche bags and get sent to jail for pissing off the judge. Bet the guy'd get his weed back then. LOL.

Joseph L. Robertson's Marijuana Will Be Returned By Cops Who Seized It, Judge Orders

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sounds like there may be an ex post facto issue here. I'd love to see a judge incarcerate someone for contempt based on an arrest that was legal at the time (May comes before December). If the judge was telling me to do this, I'd tell him to pound sand too.

....are police not entitled to constitutional rights?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The Constitutional Right to tell a judge to go pound sand? Try it and see how it works out for you. Contempt charges trump just about anything, as far as I can tell. And the judge is the final arbiter.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The cops are wrong here. The judge is the final law here. What he says goes. I don't understand why they would ignore what a judge says. Is there more to this?
    What happens to cops if they are found in contempt?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't blame the cops for enforcing the law at the time but when the judge makes a decision respect it especially as a department who is under his authority.

If I ignore a judges order I'm going to jail no if's ands or buts. Period.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't blame the cops for enforcing the law at the time but when the judge makes a decision respect it especially as a department who is under his authority.

If I ignore a judges order I'm going to jail no if's ands or buts. Period.

Yes, anyone would (civilian)
    LE must feel strongly they were right in this.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sounds like there may be an ex post facto issue here. I'd love to see a judge incarcerate someone for contempt based on an arrest that was legal at the time (May comes before December). If the judge was telling me to do this, I'd tell him to pound sand too.

No ex post facto issue. The arrest and seizure was legal under state law at the time. That is not what the judge is saying. He's saying give back the man's weed that was seized and is still in their possession. No different than any other seized property.
    If you seize anything and a judge says give it back and the dept won't, wouldn't you expect contempt charges?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Scary.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Lol. Since when can the police just tell a judge to go pound sand?

I'd really like to see you wilfully disregard a judge's order and tell him to pound sand.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No ex post facto issue. The arrest and seizure was legal under state law at the time. That is not what the judge is saying. He's saying give back the man's weed that was seized and is still in their possession. No different than any other seized property.
    If you seize anything and a judge says give it back and the dept won't, wouldn't you expect contempt charges?

Legal under state and federal law. A state court can say it's legal to return the dope, but it's not legal under federal law. If LE is determine NOT to hand over the dope, then I imagine they would cite federal law. And if the judge does try to hold an individual in contempt, who exactly is going to arrest that person, which techinally under federal law, would be an unlawful arrest? Should said person resist an unlawful arrest, if it's tried? And what happens if this goes to the Supreme Court? I think it's a no-brainer how they would rule, if they are to interpret federal law as superceding state.

:dunno:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Legal under state and federal law. A state court can say it's legal to return the dope, but it's not legal under federal law. If LE is determine NOT to hand over the dope, then I imagine they would cite federal law. And if the judge does try to hold an individual in contempt, who exactly is going to arrest that person, which techinally under federal law, would be an unlawful arrest? Should said person resist an unlawful arrest, if it's tried? And what happens if this goes to the Supreme Court? I think it's a no-brainer how they would rule, if they are to interpret federal law as superceding state.

:dunno:

Well in Indiana the county coroner can arrest the sherriff, so if the sherriff won't arrest the police then maybe the coroner?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm pretty sure this won't elevate to a constitutional crisis.

I wouldn't be so sure. Every state that has passed drug laws that conflict with federal law gives LE the option of picking "one or the other." That's a serious problems for both the safety of the public and LE.

Imagine that Indiana passed a similar law like in Washington. Now lets say the feds draw up an case against a person who they think is selling, and they have proof that they keep small amouts of drugs for personal use. The feds task local LE to help them raid the home. In light of SB1, and person thinking they are "legal," creates a very dangerous situation with the "right" (or rather wrong) person.

Top Bottom