• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Consider my butt frozen!!! I believe Cwood is even gonna brave the Arctic conditions and shoot a little!!!! It'll be PCR for me 'cuz I can shoot that with gloves on!!!!

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I was/am thinking about coming. It would be my first time. I have never shot steel or really anything! If I do make it is there anything I need to know for this extreme cold weather? I plan on using my Beretta 96. I would bring the P22 but I only have 2 mags? Any help would be great for this FNS or any future FNS I may attend.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I will be down to shoot it. It was 10 and clear last January when we shot so looks like it will be warmer this time!!! :rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If I do make it is there anything I need to know for this extreme cold weather?

• We will be shooting until after dark, and it will get STUPID COLD. Dress warmly, and in layers. Pay special attention to your head, feet and hands.

• Wear gloves that don't interfere with trigger or weapon manipulation. I double-gloved (cold-weather gloves over shooting gloves) last month, and just took the outer glove off my shooting hand when it was time to rock.

• Bring a flashlight.

• A thermos of hot beverage (non-alcoholic, of course) might not be a bad idea; I know VUPDblue is a fan of this practice.

• Start with a clean gun, and use a lube that is less likely to get viscous in extreme cold. Be prepared to re-lube at some point in the evening.

• Winter attire and extreme cold will slow you down and make manipulations difficult, and the potential for mistakes and safety issues (and DQs) goes way up. Keep your head in the game and focus on doing things smoothly, correctly and safely.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was/am thinking about coming. It would be my first time. I have never shot steel or really anything! If I do make it is there anything I need to know for this extreme cold weather? I plan on using my Beretta 96. I would bring the P22 but I only have 2 mags? Any help would be great for this FNS or any future FNS I may attend.

Yes, detail clean your pistol beforehand, then lube with either a dry lube or a VERY LIGHT oil. If you wanna run the P22, I have some extra mags you can use... just PM me a day or so beforehand and I'll pack em up.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    • We will be shooting until after dark, and it will get STUPID COLD. Dress warmly, and in layers. Pay special attention to your head, feet and hands.

• Wear gloves that don't interfere with trigger or weapon manipulation. I double-gloved (cold-weather gloves over shooting gloves) last month, and just took the outer glove off my shooting hand when it was time to rock.

• Bring a flashlight.

• A thermos of hot beverage (non-alcoholic, of course) might not be a bad idea; I know VUPDblue is a fan of this practice.

• Start with a clean gun, and use a lube that is less likely to get viscous in extreme cold. Be prepared to re-lube at some point in the evening.

• Winter attire and extreme cold will slow you down and make manipulations difficult, and the potential for mistakes and safety issues (and DQs) goes way up. Keep your head in the game and focus on doing things smoothly, correctly and safely.

Ok. All sounds good.

What lube would you suggest? I use smith and wesson lube mostly and rem oil sometimes.

As far as flashlight, is this going to be for shooting or digging thru my bag? I am still a noob at alot of things so sorry for the questions.

I really would like to get into competition shooting/shooting sports this year and I think this is a good start.

How many rounds of ammo should I expect use?

Thanks in advance

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Yes, detail clean your pistol beforehand, then lube with either a dry lube or a VERY LIGHT oil. If you wanna run the P22, I have some extra mags you can use... just PM me a day or so beforehand and I'll pack em up.

That would be great! I will let you know. Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As far as flashlight, is this going to be for shooting or digging thru my bag?

Digging through your bag, mostly. The range has pretty good lighting on the target arrays, but it creates some funky shadows and dark holes behind the line.

I really would like to get into competition shooting/shooting sports this year and I think this is a good start.

No, a good start would be ACT's Competition 101 class, or coming out to shoot a match in the summertime. :D This will be a challenge for you, to be sure.

How many rounds of ammo should I expect use?

Depends on how much you miss. ;) Nominal round count is usually about 100 (per entry/gun). I usually bring 150; other guys bring a couple hundred. Rather have too much and have to lug some home than not bring enough and have to take a DNF.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    No, a good start would be ACT's Competition 101 class, or coming out to shoot a match in the summertime. :D This will be a challenge for you, to be sure.

Ok. With that being said should I hold off and come at a warmer time?:dunno: Will I be holding everyone else up? :dunno:I don't wanna be "that guy". The one that made everyone else stay out in the cold longer then they wanted to. Honest answers would be great. I don't get offended easy, so tell me what you are thinking!:D

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Come on out, be safe and enjoy. My first match there was last January and it was bitter cold. Dress warmly and keep your head in the game.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ok. With that being said should I hold off and come at a warmer time?

FNS is VERY accommodating and encouraging to new shooters, regardless of the weather. Come on out, but bear in mind that the cold is yet another complication to deal with, on top of shooting a discipline for the first time, and the usual match jitters.

And if you DO decide to show up, you are also obligated to attend the festivities at BW3 afterward. :D :40oz:

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Come on out, be safe and enjoy. My first match there was last January and it was bitter cold. Dress warmly and keep your head in the game.

Thanks.

FNS is VERY accommodating and encouraging to new shooters, regardless of the weather. Come on out, but bear in mind that the cold is yet another complication to deal with, on top of shooting a discipline for the first time, and the usual match jitters.

And if you DO decide to show up, you are also obligated to attend the festivities at BW3 afterward. :D :40oz:

I am always ready for festivities @ BW3!:D

Thanks again. I am going to try to make it!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As for lube, BreakFree CLP is a good idea, especially for the P22 which will run essentially 'lubeless'. It isn't thick and it's the dry film it leaves that acts as a good lube. It won't gum-up in the cold either, which is a good thing.

Don't worry about being "that guy" and holding everyone up. As long as you have the appropriate number of mags, you'll be fine. There's very little you can do, when shooting, to hold up the works. If you don't have enough mags to complete your strings of fire, or if you have serious gun malfunction issues, you might hold us up but being a n00b in and of itself doesn't slow one down very much.

Shooting in balls-cold weather is a challenge by itself, but think of it this way; if you can do decently well and enjoy it, you'll be SET for when it gets warmer.

And yes, you'll be required to attend the BW3 festivities afterwords. It's EPIC.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is that I can probably make it this time.

The bad news is that it's now January and officially Long Pants Season, so you won't see me in my shorts. Until March.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The glass is half full...

For those concerned about the weather, this is the most positive comment I can possibly think of:

I will be down to shoot it. It was 10 and clear last January when we shot so looks like it will be warmer this time!!! :rockwoot:

Thanks for being so optimistic; I owe you a beer if you're coming to BW3's!
    Chuck

Top Bottom