I've gotta go to Communist occupied IL friday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    Interesting topic as my company has contracted me at sites in NWI and 2 sites in Illinois so I'm there daily day/night in less than wonderful neighborhoods time to time.
    I'm just a little confused on a few things.
    So do you leave the house Locked and Loaded then as soon as you hit the state line pull over and unload and secure your gun and when you come back across the line pull it back out and Lock and Load again?
    Also, it looks like you have the okay to bring it into IL secured and unloaded but if it's in a locked safe, glove-box, etc not sure what you are gaining. I mean if God forbid a scumbag give you issues aren't you sol being your weapon is not on your person but in the vehicle. And if your lucky and can access your weapon once the first round hit it then are your technically breaking the law and if an altercation does occur really screwed legally?
    I'm still not ready to CO/CCW yet but when I am I want to make sure it have all bases covered.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So do you leave the house Locked and Loaded then as soon as you hit the state line pull over and unload and secure your gun and when you come back across the line pull it back out and Lock and Load again?
    I live in Indiana almost on the state line and my daughter goes to school in Illinois. I drive her into Illinois with my gun secured/unloaded as per IL law. When I cross back into IN then I unlock the safe and load up.

Also, it looks like you have the okay to bring it into IL secured and unloaded but if it's in a locked safe, glove-box, etc not sure what you are gaining. I mean if God forbid a scumbag give you issues aren't you sol being your weapon is not on your person but in the vehicle. And if your lucky and can access your weapon once the first round hit it then are your technically breaking the law and if an altercation does occur really screwed legally?
    The folks in Illinois (you may want to join the iCarry.org website) call it "container carry" and refer to access as "6 seconds to safety". Container carry is legal in IL but concealed carry and open carry are not legal. However if you are caught by police doing a perfectly legal 'container carry' you will be arrested, ultimately EVERY case of container carry arrest has been dismissed.

Container carry is technically what you do if you have a gun inside your car/truck cab. As stated, I use a GunVault. It has a touch pad and the lid 'pops' open after entering a 4 digit code. It is considered a "proper" case/container by the state of Illinois.

If I am going to be car jacked in IL then yes I am screwed. No way to access the gun fast enough if someone smashed a side window at a stop light/intersection.

This is what I use, its $79 and I have one in each car:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-MV500-STD-Microvault-Pistol-Safe/dp/B000TG9RCC]Amazon.com: Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

41VwKmjRbVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51SCgrDRUfL._AA300_.jpg

The nice thing about this safe is that it can slide under a seat and can fit a briefcase or backpack. Its about the size of a tablet of paper but roughly 2.5" thick.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I live in Indiana almost on the state line and my daughter goes to school in Illinois. I drive her into Illinois with my gun secured/unloaded as per IL law. When I cross back into IN then I unlock the safe and load up.

The folks in Illinois (you may want to join the iCarry.org website) call it "container carry" and refer to access as "6 seconds to safety". Container carry is legal in IL but concealed carry and open carry are not legal. However if you are caught by police doing a perfectly legal 'container carry' you will be arrested, ultimately EVERY case of container carry arrest has been dismissed.

Container carry is technically what you do if you have a gun inside your car/truck cab. As stated, I use a GunVault. It has a touch pad and the lid 'pops' open after entering a 4 digit code. It is considered a "proper" case/container by the state of Illinois.

If I am going to be car jacked in IL then yes I am screwed. No way to access the gun fast enough if someone smashed a side window at a stop light/intersection.

This is what I use, its $79 and I have one in each car:
    Amazon.com: Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe: Sports & Outdoors

41VwKmjRbVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51SCgrDRUfL._AA300_.jpg

The nice thing about this safe is that it can slide under a seat and can fit a briefcase or backpack. Its about the size of a tablet of paper but roughly 2.5" thick.

nice!!!...i'll have to get 1....goin' over there next week and the ol' 45 will be in the truck:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    If you ever do get hassled in IL for proper carry as we discussed, have the misinformed officer call - Sgt. Brian Copple ISP Safety / Education Manager
    217-524-2525.
    Now, off to IL I go with my 45 in tow!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thank you for all the input guys!
    I called the IL state police firearms div. and talked to the guy that wrote the faq. sheet on the ISP website.
    He told me I can bring a handgun if it is in a zip up case or better, mag can be in the same case with ammo in it but not in the gun. Gun must not have any rounds in it at all. I asked if I could have his name incase a less informed officer pulls me over, he said ''sure'' (I left his name on my desk at work, but will take it with me)....... He is the manager of the firearm and firearm training div. at the state police. I feel better after talking with him, very nice guy and was willing to answer any question I had. +1 for this officer at the IL State police dept.
    I'll be taking my gun with me now.:yesway:

Outstanding!!!

I've taken (and used!) my guns in Illinois a few times.

It's really not that "bad" if you're a Hoosier. Easier to transport stuff as a non-resident in IL as it is to be a resident in IN...as melensdad said up thread.

I transport mine in my zipped range bag. No biggie!

-J-

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    If you are going to Chicago just remember to take off your Indiana license plate and replace with an IL license plate otherwise you will be ticketed. Doesn't matter whether you break the law or not you will be targeted with In plates. The police freely admit it and just say good luck fighting it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you are going to Chicago just remember to take off your Indiana license plate and replace with an IL license plate otherwise you will be ticketed. Doesn't matter whether you break the law or not you will be targeted with In plates. The police freely admit it and just say good luck fighting it.

I'm in Chicago constantly. Been driving in Chicago for 34 years. I've never gotten a speeding, traffic, or parking ticket anywhere in the city, ever.

Zachoff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    What about Chicago laws/ordinances that contradict the State laws? Can I still travel with gun unloaded and secured in Chicago? Too bad we didn't ask the State Police gun trainer that question.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What about Chicago laws/ordinances that contradict the State laws? Can I still travel with gun unloaded and secured in Chicago? Too bad we didn't ask the State Police gun trainer that question.

While I travel INTO the state of Illinois nearly every day with a gun I do not travel into Chicago with a gun. At this point I am not comfortable with the laws to do that yet, that said I don't know if/how the laws may be applied so its a case where I am still ignorant of the laws. My daily travels simply don't take me there so I have not had a reason to dig into them yet.

I have FLOWN into/out of Chicago airports with firearms, and that requires transiting the city with a gun, but it also is clearly covered by the Federal law at that point. But to drive into the city with a gun, where the city is one of my waypoints, that is a question of legal jeapordy at this point. I am not looking to become a 'test case' for the Chicago court system.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL

:rolleyes: I drive into Chicago at least 2 times a week. This could not be further from the truth.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I just wanted to follow up with some INGO silliness about this thread.

I just got a negative rep point for this thread :rockwoot:

I got a whole bunch of little green rep points too, but its the red dingleberry that I am so proud of achieving.

Here is what I was smacked down for:
    The only thing I found in your links about non-residents was in regards to hunting. Unless the OP was going to IL to hunt, the nay-sayers in the thread had every right to do so, and you were very hostile and condescending which is not helpful.
    Clearly the person, who's name is withheld to protect them from ridicule, did not take the requisite time to actually read the information but rather skimmed bits and pieces. Clearly the reason they "only found" incomplete information is because they didn't actually read the information. This is somehow my fault! (purple for sarcasm)

Oh, and apparently I am hostile :laugh:

Well oh my gosh and golly gee how much spoon feeding do we have to do around here for folks to actually read things when they want to learn? Seriously. There is all sorts of evidence in this thread, starting with the information I posted/linked that shows that you don't have to be a hunter and you may be a non-resident to travel in the state with a gun, properly stored in a proper container, in your vehicle.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I just wanted to follow up with some INGO silliness about this thread.

I just got a negative rep point for this thread :rockwoot:

I got a whole bunch of little green rep points too, but its the red dingleberry that I am so proud of achieving.

Here is what I was smacked down for:Clearly the person, who's name is withheld to protect them from ridicule, did not take the requisite time to actually read the information but rather skimmed bits and pieces. Clearly the reason they "only found" incomplete information is because they didn't actually read the information. This is somehow my fault! (purple for sarcasm)

Oh, and apparently I am hostile :laugh:

Well oh my gosh and golly gee how much spoon feeding do we have to do around here for folks to actually read things when they want to learn? Seriously. There is all sorts of evidence in this thread, starting with the information I posted/linked that shows that you don't have to be a hunter and you may be a non-resident to travel in the state with a gun, properly stored in a proper container, in your vehicle.

We ALL know you are a mean malicious dirty ^@$&$% and as such deserve the negative rep. BTW just blame it ALL on joe as it's probably his fault....

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    This thread is making my head spin lol. The prevailing myth on here was that we cannot carry guns in IL, and it is good to know people aren't just taking that at face value but actually doing the leg work. However, I did have a couple questions.

All the following come from Melensdad link in the other thread from the Illinois State Police at http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf
    Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be
    transported:
    1. Unloaded and,
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.
    This would make it seem illegal for us, since we cannot obtain an FOID since all three conditions must be met.
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his
    own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that
    this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following
    conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a
    person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card
    This makes it seem legal for IL residents (with an FOID) to carry unloaded in a case, but legal for those without an FOID to carry only when it is either broken down or not within reach.
    What is immediately accessible?
    The test is if a reasonable person would conclude that the firearm is located within relatively quick reach.
    So, with all those quotes, it seems that

A. it is legal for a IL resident with an FOID to carry unloaded in a case in the glovebox or center console. The wildlife code identifies a "proper case" as something like " a container specifically made to hold a gun" so just being in the glovebox wouldn't be enough. Must be cased in glovebox.

B. It probably wouldn't be legal for an IN resident to do the same, because the glovebox may be considered "within relatively quick reach." However, it would be completely legal for it to be broken down in the glovebox or to be in the trunk.

Of course, in IL the state codes do not supercede local ordinances. You could follow these to the letter and still be found in violation of town ordinances. Like Chicago's I assume.

If a nonresident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they
    legally transport it?
    Nonresidents must comply with the gun case law as described above. Additionally, the firearm must not be
    immediately accessible or must be broken down in a non-functioning state.
    I really wish they would have made this part more general instead of using hunting as a precondition. It makes it essentially useless.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have friends in KS and WA as well as a sister-in-law in PA. When traveling through IL or OH...I breakdown and put the unloaded weapon in the pistol case that I bring with me just for the occasion. I would much rather risk having to drive over someone (for personal protection) with my car or van than prison-rape!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks to BIMMER for posting this link in another thread => Illinois Court Allows Nonresidents to Transport Guns

This is great news for Hoosiers who travel into Illinois. Not only do we have the rules on our side, now we have a supreme court ruling affirming it!

By the way, in the court ruling, it clearly also states that the rules regarding the need for a FOID card are not applicable if you have an out of state LTCH.
    People v Holmes said:
    Firearm Owners Identification
    Card Act (FOID Card Act). 430 ILCS 65/2(b)(10) (West 2004).
    Under the FOID Card Act, an out-of-state resident who possesses a
    valid permit or license from his state is not required to obtain a FOID
    card.
    Link to government court document quoted above (public record) => http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

Last edited:
    Top Bottom