Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I like what I hear.

But before I jump onboard your new party I'd like to know some details. Can you narrow down the term "conservative" a little bit? What would your policy agenda look like?

If it's in the Constitution, if it's part of the enumerated powers, you do it. If it's not, you vote 'no'. The Constitution and its amendments mean exactly what the founders and the authors meant for them to say/mean/apply to the day they wrote them and that's all.

And you know what? That might mean some states will do some things that might abhor some and others will do something different. That might mean some states legalize drugs while others don't. It could mean some states recognize any and all so-called marriages and some don't...or any at all. It could mean some allow prayers at public schools and some don't. I don't think most of us are capable of even contemplating a country where a strong federal government isn't there to make sure everyone does it the way the feds want it done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    he has done many conservative things unilaterally that republicans could have done but have not. If he could unilaterally change tax rates he would. If he could unilaterally repeal Obamacare he would.
    It seems that in Trump's description of his healthcare plan, it sounded more like it would out-obama Obamacare. The only truly conservative idea I believe Trump actually holds is on gun rights. At least he's convinced me of that. The rest seems like pandering to me. But at least on 2A issues, I think he does get that. Well, taxes too, but I think more because of selfish interests than the conservative principle.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If it's in the Constitution, if it's part of the enumerated powers, you do it. If it's not, you vote 'no'. The Constitution and its amendments mean exactly what the founders and the authors meant for them to say/mean/apply to the day they wrote them and that's all.

And you know what? That might mean some states will do some things that might abhor some and others will do something different. That might mean some states legalize drugs while others don't. It could mean some states recognize any and all so-called marriages and some don't...or any at all. It could mean some allow prayers at public schools and some don't. I don't think most of us are capable of even contemplating a country where a strong federal government isn't there to make sure everyone does it the way the feds want it done.

:wavey: I'm willing to contemplate such a country.

There are a few. ;)

I'm in.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mine's only 23 acres and by this time of the year, I call it MoleHillHell (at least the portion that I call yard and mow every week). :laugh:

I can relate. You stand in the middle your freshly mowed lawn, admiring your handiwork, then you notice the tracks of upturned dirt zigzagging through the otherwise pristine grass. Having glared at the mole hills long enough your gaze wanders off to the distance, where you see the unkempt middle ground, where your enemy could live in peace.

You wonder aloud, why here? Huh? Why not out there? You could live in peace in all of that out there. Instead you decide to make your home here where I've toiled to make my lawn look nice. Now I have to sic the dog on you and let him tear up my lawn to hunt you down. We could live in peace. But noooooo! You want war.

My dog's too old to mole hunt now, but he could really tear it up when he was young.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can relate. You stand in the middle your freshly mowed lawn, admiring your handiwork, then you notice the tracks of upturned dirt zigzagging through the otherwise pristine grass. Having glared at the mole hills long enough your gaze wanders off to the distance, where you see the unkempt middle ground, where your enemy could live in peace.

You wonder aloud, why here? Huh? Why not out there? You could live in peace in all of that out there. Instead you decide to make your home here where I've toiled to make my lawn look nice. Now I have to sic the dog on you and let him tear up my lawn to hunt you down. We could live in peace. But noooooo! You want war.

My dog's too old to mole hunt now, but he could really tear it up when he was young.

I've told this story before, I know but my neighbor had a mole hunting dog. And I never knew how much I appreciated that dog until he died.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Too bad Trump lets his personality get in the way of governing, at least in my opinion. Precious time is being wasted over silly noise, much self induced. I'd love to ask him why the White House doesn't close ranks like the libs do. Why, at age 70, he can't control his instincts. He makes it very easy for the media and libs to criticize him, and make many of us shake our heads.

If only he would ignore the noise and concentrate on being a leader which is what we elected him for. After having eight years of a marxist trying to destroy what and who we are, Trump was a breath of fresh air. Right now, the best thing I can say about him is he is not Hillary.

hoosierdoc, having the Congress seems to not make things better, just possibly helps them from getting worse. Think of Schumer and Pelosi running the show, we'd be goners.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Too bad Trump lets his personality get in the way of governing, at least in my opinion. Precious time is being wasted over silly noise, much self induced. I'd love to ask him why the White House doesn't close ranks like the libs do. Why, at age 70, he can't control his instincts. He makes it very easy for the media and libs to criticize him, and make many of us shake our heads.

If only he would ignore the noise and concentrate on being a leader which is what we elected him for. After having eight years of a marxist trying to destroy what and who we are, Trump was a breath of fresh air. Right now, the best thing I can say about him is he is not Hillary.

hoosierdoc, having the Congress seems to not make things better, just possibly helps them from getting worse. Think of Schumer and Pelosi running the show, we'd be goners.

But when exactly did Trump ever demonstrate that he had the self discipline or the ability to put others ahead of his little petty personal needs?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mine's only 23 acres and by this time of the year, I call it MoleHillHell (at least the portion that I call yard and mow every week). :laugh:

Like Jamil, I had my Mountain Cur Bella who was hell on moles...Some of you may recall she was hit by a truck about a year and a half ago and our little place out in the country looks like no man's land in WWI......And also like Jamil I look around at thousands of acres of pristine pasture and Hoosier National Forest and think "Really??? Here????"

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think a big platform piece would be two term limit in senate and three in house. After that you are booted from party if you try to run again. Of course some would simply turn independent, but need to make an argument for national term limits.

the 10th amendment can be the slogan. Require every bill passed to clearly outline where in the constitution the authority is found to enact said legislation.

Last edited:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think a big platform piece would be two term limit in senate and three in house. After that you are booted from party if you try to run again. Of course some would simply turn independent, but need to make an argument for national term limits.

I agree with limiting terms.

I also wonder how different things would be if rules were changed to restrict incumbents from campaigning while in office. My hope is that it would keep currently-employed politicians focused on government business their whole term. Once their term expires they are free to campaign as much as they want for the next available elected opening...including a limit on total non-consecutive terms served.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I agree with limiting terms.

I also wonder how different things would be if rules were changed to restrict incumbents from campaigning while in office. My hope is that it would keep currently-employed politicians focused on government business their whole term. Once their term expires they are free to campaign as much as they want for the next available elected opening...including a limit on total non-consecutive terms served.

Isn't high time that campaign finance reform is enacted as well?

Top Bottom