• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    i had a close encounter with a drugged person a few days back in a moderately lit parking lot. Came within 6 feet.
    He Was thinking of his next step with me really hard and it showed in his face, He walked up to my car before I was able to get in it. I did see him coming towards me so I was aware of the threat.

Stood my ground but prepared for the worst. Used logic with him and got him to move on. I think the command voice helpEd defuse the issue.

G43 with night sites was my gun that night.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    About 15 years ago some elderly feller took exception to me being in a local gas station. I had the night off, and stopped in for some coffee. The clerk was a childhood friend/best friend's little sister, and I decided to stick around.

Well, apparently this old feller (we'll call him "Floyd," because that was the douchebag's name) had a crush on my friend.

I went out to the parking lot to grab something from my car, and he followed me.

Did I mention I was on crutches at the time?

So Floyd put his hand in the pocket where he's known to keep a knife. I couldn't run, couldn't really stand without the crutches, and so I stood there facing him with about 20ft between us.

I really didn't want to shoot him. He was known to be unstable and I wasn't interested in gunning down a senile old bastard. He wasn't advancing, and I figured on drawing had he taken another step.

Then he turned around and left. I suppose the situation wasn't working out the way he pictured it.

I never displayed a gun, but he never actually displayed a knife, either.

In hindsight, I really should have made a report.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    About 15 years ago some elderly feller took exception to me being in a local gas station. I had the night off, and stopped in for some coffee. The clerk was a childhood friend/best friend's little sister, and I decided to stick around.

Well, apparently this old feller (we'll call him "Floyd," because that was the douchebag's name) had a crush on my friend.

I went out to the parking lot to grab something from my car, and he followed me.

Did I mention I was on crutches at the time?

So Floyd put his hand in the pocket where he's known to keep a knife. I couldn't run, couldn't really stand without the crutches, and so I stood there facing him with about 20ft between us.

I really didn't want to shoot him. He was known to be unstable and I wasn't interested in gunning down a senile old bastard. He wasn't advancing, and I figured on drawing had he taken another step.

Then he turned around and left. I suppose the situation wasn't working out the way he pictured it.

I never displayed a gun, but he never actually displayed a knife, either.

In hindsight, I really should have made a report.
    Sounds like a harrowing situation.

Still, not to make fun, but why would you even bother with a report on something like that? What are you going to tell them happened?

standing_there_menacingly.jpg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    i had a close encounter with a drugged person a few days back in a moderately lit parking lot. Came within 6 feet.
    He Was thinking of his next step with me really hard and it showed in his face, He walked up to my car before I was able to get in it. I did see him coming towards me so I was aware of the threat.

Stood my ground but prepared for the worst. Used logic with him and got him to move on. I think the command voice helpEd defuse the issue.

G43 with night sites was my gun that night.
    Glad your ok.

IF you are not already utilizing a carry flashlight, now would be a good time to start. 2100 Lumens speaks to even meth heads.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I googled MUC class but came up empty. What do they teach you in these classes?
    John Murphy of FPF teaches MUC as part of his Street Encounters Skills. HIGHLY recommend his class.

Glad it all worked out, OP. Being situationally aware and carrying yourself confidently goes a LONG way to keeping yourself out of trouble. I'm 100% confident I have managed to avoid two encounters that would have gone VERY bad for one/both of us. Partly due to the skills John taught me.

EDIT: I have also heard good things about Craig Douglas of Shivworks. His content is all over FB and youtube.

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Sounds like a harrowing situation.

Still, not to make fun, but why would you even bother with a report on something like that? What are you going to tell them happened?

standing_there_menacingly.jpg

This "Floyd" wasn't unknown to cops. He also made a couple threats, so I dunno. Probably nothing would have come of it, which is why I didn't bother reporting it at the time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would say, asking him what is up and not showing fear. More non verbal than words.
    Sometimes its the little things. My most recent incident I had a guy follow me toward the small hotel parking lot, which is fenced in and a "blind box" due to shrubs and privacy fences. In my case Simply making it obvious that I knew he was following me and I wasnt going to be caught by surprise was enough for him to decide I wasnt an easy enough target and break off. He headed the opposite direction I was walking after he changed his mind, so he wasnt simply trying to cut through the lot and realized he couldnt.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I like to have another non-lethal option to go with the EDC light. I keep them in all the vehicles.

View attachment 303516 View attachment 303517
    The index nub on the business end is very intuitive. Also as you know the spring loaded cap on the trigger is a good safety item that is also intuitive to get a thumb under it if needed.

I had an unfortunate encounter with a large dog in which the POM was easy to use, out of the pocket from the clip. It shot a solid stream at least 12 feet, maybe 15, and I found myself adjusting the aim as I held the button down. Saved me from a nasty dog bite or worse.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The index nub on the business end is very intuitive. Also as you know the spring loaded cap on the trigger is a good safety item that is also intuitive to get a thumb under it if needed.

I had an unfortunate encounter with a large dog in which the POM was easy to use, out of the pocket from the clip. It shot a solid stream at least 12 feet, maybe 15, and I found myself adjusting the aim as I held the button down. Saved me from a nasty dog bite or worse.

:lmfao: Ironically, some idiot just posted a thread about a bad dog...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I googled MUC class but came up empty. What do they teach you in these classes?…

Try searching on “managing unknown contacts.” Briefly (very briefly) it’s a method for dealing with unknown individuals that includes managing distance, verbal interaction, and movement (way too oversimplified, I know.). It includes the basics of interacting with a person before a fight with the goal of avoiding one all together, and positioning yourself advantageously if it’s unavoidable.

As mentioned by CM, John Murphy teaches as part of the aforementioned class. The late William Aprill used to include a module at the end of his Unthinkable class. Craig Douglas is the guy who most recently popularized the idea (has a fair bit of the method online in articles and YT videos). He includes in his ECQC, EWO, and PUC classes last I uknew (maybe other classes as well). Cecil Burch (of Immediate Action Combatives) and Glen Stilson (of Independence Training) included a good discussion of MUC and some drills in the Close Contact Handgun class they ran in Terre Haute a couple of years ago. I think of Craig as the originator of the method. Cecil‘s and Glen‘s was also very well done, which is to be expected as Cecil is a part of the Shivworks Collective with Craig (as was Willian Aprill).

I’ve been through 3 iterations (Paladin Combatives, William Aprill, and Cecil/Glen), and have learned something valuable every single time. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    BBI used to teach an awesome class on SA with videos and shooting scenarios.

This before he got promoted!

I almost got jacked by a meth head with a taser years ago. He didn't stick around after looking down the barrel of a 1911.

Top Bottom