• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    I'm having an issue with my SP101. I took it out of the safe this week end and worked the action a few times, it work fine a couple of times and then all of a sudden the revolver locked up. I cant pull the trigger or thumb back the hammer. I got to looking and noticed that the cylnder stop wont drop down an let the cylnder rotate to the next chamber. Has anyone ever had this issue with their Sp101 or any other double action Ruger? This is the last revolver i ever thought I would have issues with. I am going to take it to Highsmith Gunsmith in Greenfield this evening and have them look at it before I send it back to Ruger. Any ideas or suggestions on why my gun is doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:ingo:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bought my sp101 about 1985. Never had even a hint of problem unless it got really dirty with cast bullet reloads. Cleaning it always restored it fully. The entire trigger assembly with the cylinder lock and pawl drops out the bottom by pressing a single spring loaded pin. Maybe you just got some dirt hanging it up. Good Luck

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Bought my sp101 about 1985. Never had even a hint of problem unless it got really dirty with cast bullet reloads. Cleaning it always restored it fully. The entire trigger assembly with the cylinder lock and pawl drops out the bottom by pressing a single spring loaded pin. Maybe you just got some dirt hanging it up. Good Luck
    I don't think yours is that old considering Ruger didn't start making them until 1989.

Ruger Instruction Manuals & Product History#

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If it's not loaded, call Ruger before taking it to a local gunsmith. Ruger, while they don't have a warranty, will take care of you, often at no cost. Local gunsmiths will charge you, sometimes even just to "look at it".

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    I called Ruger and I have the revolver boxed up and ready to be picked up tomorrow. I hope they don't charge me an arm and a leg to fix it. I am hoping that they will see that it has been taken very good care of and not fired a lot and charge me something reasonable to fix it. I will update when I get it back. Anyone know about how long Ruger's turn around time is? Never had to send a gun back to Ruger. I sent my Smith and Wesson 4506 back for an extractor replacement and it took 4 months! Hopefully Ruger does better than that!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I called Ruger and I have the revolver boxed up and ready to be picked up tomorrow. I hope they don't charge me an arm and a leg to fix it. I am hoping that they will see that it has been taken very good care of and not fired a lot and charge me something reasonable to fix it. I will update when I get it back. Anyone know about how long Ruger's turn around time is? Never had to send a gun back to Ruger. I sent my Smith and Wesson 4506 back for an extractor replacement and it took 4 months! Hopefully Ruger does better than that!

I'm guessing they won't charge you anything, and I believe Ruger is known for very quick turnaround.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depends how old it is if they'll fix it, depending on the issue.

You can date your SP by the serial number.

Older ones (I believe before 2000) uses different parts than they do now, different crane, hand, and some internals

But, Ruger designed their revolvers to be user friendly, I be you can take it apart fairly easy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I've never sent anything to them, nor know of anyone who had to. Testament to reliability I guess. I have found them to be the easiest and friendliest people to work with of all the manufacturers I've encountered. I have a friend who called them to ask if they had replacement grips for an older single action. He explained that I was going to refinish the gun, but some idiot had completely butchered the grips. I couldn't believe it, but they sent him a new set for free. I would not expect that type of result as a standard, but it does go right along with their "bend over backwards" approach to customer relations. Whether they charge you or not, I'm betting you get the gun back quickly and are completely satisfied. Keep us updated.
    Jim

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    I bought the new in 2003/2004, wich puts it about 10/11 years old. This was my first revolver, bought it right after I graduated high school! I carried it for a few years and then it became a safe queen. I do have plans to start carrying it again though, that is if I can get it fixed! Thanks for all the imput!

Gman75

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Boone County
    I just had to send in my Ruger sr1911. The front sight snapped off. I sent it to them on Monday 04/21/14 and got it back on Monday 04/28/14.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks for the update dave. I was trying to remember the age by where I was living at the time. Being off a few years did not affect the tip to the man who has the problem with his Ruger revolver.
    You're right about that. I just thought you might find the archival info helpful.

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    Just an update on my SP101. Got it back from Ruger, took exactly 2 weeks. The paper work they sent back said that they replaced the Pawl, and test fired it. The gun seems to be in great working condition now. They did not charge me anything to fix it. Its good to know that there is still an American company that stands behind their product. This is why I will continue to buy their products! Thanks RUGER!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Just an update on my SP101. Got it back from Ruger, took exactly 2 weeks. The paper work they sent back said that they replaced the Pawl, and test fired it. The gun seems to be in great working condition now. They did not charge me anything to fix it. Its good to know that there is still an American company that stands behind their product. This is why I will continue to buy their products! Thanks RUGER!

Great deal and Good on Ruger for taking care of you and business. :rockwoot:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

I've had items into Ruger 3x...and great results each time. I purchased my first SP101 in December 1994 as a Christmas present to myself...and still have it! I love it! Great little revolver!

Just a thought, but if you're going to CC it again...Meprolight makes a great little Tritium night sight for it...runs around $60 at Midway! Makes shooting in low/no light much easier!

Top Bottom