• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    To answer the OP’s question, I think he can buy a long gun there.

Here’s a link to a congrescritter that has introduced legislation every year for a long time (since Coloumbine?) and can’t seem to get it passed, the short version is he wants to close the “Colorado loophole” that allows out of state buyers to purchase long guns in Colorado.

Here’s another link saying they can, but they might or might not…

But here’s an anti touting how great they are with their control-freakedness…
    Which contradicts the last two links.

Also have read that it’s a federal law to allow long gun sales across state lines.

My conclusion, lots of conflicting info, and your best bet is to call a store, but I’ll throw a different idea out there, get out of Denver and do some business local to where you’re at. If someone knows you have significant acreage and will spend time there, they might want to earn your business, and it might be a more trusting relationship both ways.
    If you wanted firearm access every time you went out there, you might buy from them and they might store them for you when your not there possibly. Just a wild thought.

All that said, I completly agree with CameraMonkey and others above about buying it here and ease of transport. Not a big deal, but reading comprehension is a thing when it comes to airline policy.
    Southwest is easy as any of them, and that really is the Indy to Denver connection.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Cosermann hit the mail on the head. Good excuse to get a new gun.

I do have a ruger 357 revolver I inherited. Will say that I’ve not flown with one before and am a bit nervous about it. But if I could swing getting a nice lever action while we are out there, just seems like a bonus to me. Lol
    Well then your problem is not a problem. Check in your Ruger .357 on the flight and take that loaded with some hard cast Elmer Keith like loads and use the excuse to buy some really nice leather to carry it in. Possibly a nice chest rig

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Since you already have a 357mag get the right ammunition and you're good to go.

This is right up there with the 10mm in power, and its a Hard cast 180 FN.
    This will give you very good penetration in brown, black, and Grizzly bears.

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    And INGO never disappoints.

I'm surprised with how much INGOers tend to overthink solutions to a problem. We sometimetry to do things in the most circuitous route possible.

(no offense intended to the OP. I've done it too. Sometim an idea makes sense in your head but falls apart when you say it out loud. )

And possibly not think it all the way through.

I had the same thought.
    with 2 weeks to spare, there is PLENTY of time to buy the gun you need here and take it with you.

Its not hard. Check your airline website for their policies. Everybody is slightly different.

Pay careful attention to one rule: You need a locking case with regular NON TSA compliant locks. IF they want to inspect it, they will call for you to unlock it for them. They dont want anyone behind the scenes having the ability to use their special keys to unlock it.

And go for the pistol. You only need the rifle if you are going to hunt them.
    And this would be an awesome case to fly. Add a matched pair of locks and you are golden.

I
    I have the generic plastic ones that you get with the pistol or for $20. Is this not sufficient? I checked Southwest and it needs to be in a hard case.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have the generic plastic ones that you get with the pistol or for $20. Is this not sufficient? I checked Southwest and it needs to be in a hard case.
    MAYBE. They specify that the case must be rigid enough that when locked, it cant be flexex enough to remove anything from the case.

Here is the test. Put the pistol and factory ammo in the case per the spec. (or just the empty pistol if you are going to buy ammo when you get there) Zip tie it closed.

If you can force open the "locked" case enough on one end to get the gun or ammo out, its not acceptable.

EDIT: and be honest and dont be afraid of damaging your case. The thief wont be afraid to break stuff.

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    Have been reading up on those links posted earlier and now researching hot loads like the Buffalo Bore in 9mm.
    My XD mod 2 is what I carry and am most familiar with.

Also read the articles on bear attack kills by caliber. Surprised to see that 357 revolver didn’t have as good of a record as 9mm. I’m thinking that’s more of difference between revolver and semiautomatic

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Forget the zip tie. use the size lock you are going to use during the test. I realized the zip tie will hold it too tightly to reflect real life.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have been reading up on those links posted earlier and now researching hot loads like the Buffalo Bore in 9mm.
    My XD mod 2 is what I carry and am most familiar with.

Also read the articles on bear attack kills by caliber. Surprised to see that 357 revolver didn’t have as good of a record as 9mm. I’m thinking that’s more of difference between revolver and semiautomatic
    And if you take the factory 10 round mag, you are good to go with their stupid mag restrictions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont know if the combo flip locks like that are kosher with TSA, but it seems reasonable to me. But they may require padlocks. I'd talk to your airline ASAP. Maybe even take the empty briefcase to the airport and speak to a supervisor?

Once you find out it is GTG, then Grab a new hunk of foam from the craft store and cut the necessary shape for your gat!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There are no grizzlies in Colorado, yet. If there were, a handgun that you could deploy quickly beats a rifle that you may never have the chance to use if the attack is a surprise. A 9mm with good ammo is plenty for black bear.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are no grizzlies in Colorado, yet. If there were, a handgun that you could deploy quickly beats a rifle that you may never have the chance to use if the attack is a surprise. A 9mm with good ammo is plenty for black bear.
    Excellent point.

And I just checked. Magazine capacity issue there is California lite. its 15 a round limit, so OPs EDC would be fine.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I can possibly help spend your money also :) When I started Jeeping out West a decade ago, I looked into 10mm. Still don't have one but like the idea. I thought this chest rig would be handy and don't have one yet either.

Flying part is easy, I don't anymore since getting the adventure freedom van a couple years ago.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Why buy in Colorado? Buy here take it with you.
    Even If you need be drive there.
    This is reasonable. Might be worth the drive, and next flight out, next visit. Get a good locking box or safe and bolt it to the wall and floor. Combo lock, so you don't forget the key at home for future. Sure also get some spray, but your 357mag revolver, or a Lever rifle would be good thought.
    Good luck.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If you do use your inherited .357, or you acquire another fire arm for this trip, I would suggest to practice heavily with it, Especially if it’s an upgrade over the power of ammo that you usually shoot, whether pistol or rifle or shotgun. I’ve always found full power .357 rounds to be quite snappy for me, and follow up shots not as fast.

Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom