• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    In 2 weeks my wife and I are flying to Colorado. We have a cabin on 93 acres with UTV. As we plan on being outdoors a lot, wildlife and stupid people are a concern.

I could take my carry on the plane. But if a bear charges a 9mm isn’t going to do much. So I thought about buying a rifle once we get there.

Can I…. But a rifle online at a Denver store and then submit for my background check. Then when I get there all I have to do is pay for it? That way I don’t have to wait up to 3 days as I’ve already been cleared.

Fingers crossed. Lol

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont count on it. CO is NOT a red state. They are quite unfriendly.

If you happen to have a .40 glock, you can get a 357 sig barrel and convert it.

At least somebody thinks sig is OK for bears. When I got out of .40 years ago the guy that bought my 23 said that is what his plan was because he was moving to AK.

Buy a rifle here and check it in your luggage?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Buy a rifle here and check it in your luggage
    ^^^^ this. Your rifle, zeroed to you, that you will know how to handle in extremis.

Do check Colorado law though. I believe they modified their preemption statute to permit local infringements and have instituted mag caps and other infringements. I no longer trust that state.

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    May depend on where you are ending up, West slope is pretty conservative. If you don't want to check the rifle as luggage, call the store you wish to do the purchase at & ask them. It is likely they experience this fairly often.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ^^^^ this. Your rifle, zeroed to you, that you will know how to handle in extremis.

Do check Colorado law though. I believe they modified their preemption statute to permit local infringements and have instituted mag caps and other infringements. I no longer trust that state.

And if you happen to go the sig route, these work well for limiting to 10 rounds. I use them in my competition mags. (so I dont brainfart and load more than 10)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    To answer your question, no

The dealer you take possession from will have to see and record the information from your driver’s license, a email, fax, or photo won’t work.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... But if a bear charges a 9mm isn’t going to do much. ...

You might be surprised.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/de...s-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5UFScHWeC

The data also suggests bear spray is effective about 90+% of the time subject to wind & weather.

But, bears are a great excuse to buy a new firearm. Almost bought a 10mm auto earlier this year, because . . . you know. . . bears.

So, I get it. Just sayin'. YMMV.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Buy a Glock 20 or just buy some hard cast 147 grain Underwood ammo for your 9mm. A rifle is unwieldy in situations where you can easily carry a pistol. Probably more important to buy some good bear spray, tbh.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I can't speak for Colorado. But in some states, you can buy a rifle and or a shotgun while not being a resident there. And I do drought you can buy the big scary ones in red states anyway. lol

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    Just out of curiosity...
    if you didn't want to fly out there with a firearm what did you plan to do with the firearm on the way home?
    Cosermann hit the mail on the head. Good excuse to get a new gun.

I do have a ruger 357 revolver I inherited. Will say that I’ve not flown with one before and am a bit nervous about it. But if I could swing getting a nice lever action while we are out there, just seems like a bonus to me. Lol

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I do have a ruger 357 revolver I inherited. Will say that I’ve not flown with one before and am a bit nervous about it. But if I could swing getting a nice lever action while we are out there, just seems like a bonus to me. Lol
    Why buy in Colorado? Buy here take it with you.
    Even If you need be drive there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And INGO never disappoints.

I'm surprised with how much INGOers tend to overthink solutions to a problem. We sometimes have a tendency to try to do things in the most circuitous route possible.

(no offense intended to the OP. I've done it too. Sometimes an idea makes sense in your head but falls apart when you say it out loud. )
    Just out of curiosity...
    if you didn't want to fly out there with a firearm what did you plan to do with the firearm on the way home?
    And possibly not think it all the way through.

I had the same thought.
    with 2 weeks to spare, there is PLENTY of time to buy the gun you need here and take it with you.

Its not hard. Check your airline website for their policies. Everybody is slightly different.

Pay careful attention to one rule: You need a locking case with regular NON TSA compliant locks. IF they want to inspect it, they will call for you to unlock it for them. They dont want anyone behind the scenes having the ability to use their special keys to unlock it.

And go for the pistol. You only need the rifle if you are going to hunt them. A bear 50 yards away where you would need a rifle is no threat to you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

That would be an awesome gun to take. Especially since you dont have to mess with the mag limits.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Pay careful attention to one rule: You need a locking case with regular NON TSA compliant locks.
    Just to Denny in here, the TSA is ok with TSA locks on a firearm case per their website:
    You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.
    ‘https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition’

I think it’s a bad idea and I would not use TSA locks on a gun case do it but it will pass their inspection.

And if you’re going to carry a long arm, my vast YouTube experience tells me that Alaskan guides often like to use 12 gauge slug for defense against bear.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just to Denny in here, the TSA is ok with TSA locks on a firearm case per their website:

‘https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition’

I think it’s a bad idea and I would not use TSA locks on a gun case do it but it will pass their inspection.

And if you’re going to carry a long arm, my vast YouTube experience tells me that Alaskan guides often like to use 12 gauge slug for defense against bear.
    No worries. I'm aware they wont deny inspection, but it it best practice to make sure YOU are the only one that can open the case.

Top Bottom